SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've been out of the Volvo scene for several years but I used to be big into the red blocks and owned a few 850s as well.

My wife and I are having a baby in June and her daily-driving our F-350 seems less practical. My plan is to sell that and I would like to get her into a wagon for SUV that has some mild towing capacity.

I have always liked the look of the XC series but I know they were plagued with transmission (and other) issues last time I checked (in the early 2000's). Have some of these been proven reliable and dropped under the $10k price tag yet?

We live near Portland, OR and do some driving up to the mountain so the AWD would be nice but not required.

I would really appreciate your input and any direction you can give me.

Thanks!
Nathan

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Oh hell yes.
Depending on the mileage you're looking for, you should EASILY be able to buy one of the better 2006s, the BEST 2005 and perhaps a very good 2007.
Easily means having some money left over from that 10K to do all the necessary things that all of these need now
Timing belt
Possible breather
Some suspension work

ALL XCs are AWD

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
In short, absolutely.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
06-07 are the best years. Get one with premium audio, it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our camper is advertised at 3000 lbs tow weight and I see those models advertise at 3300 lbs towing capacity. How bad of an idea would it be to try and keep/tow it?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Keep up with the fluid changes, install an auxiliary cooler, don't try to gun it from a stop or onramps, and keep it in a low gear. I tow/haul quite a bit with the XC, but not a 3000lbs trailer, mine is only 2000lbs + occupants + gear and the transmission handles that well. Can't speak for the stock engine because mine is modified, so it makes plenty of power to pull around the load.

·
Registered
161 Posts
trailer have trailer brakes? I'm questioning how well the stock calipers are going to handle twice the load.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
If it doesn't have brakes you might consider an R brake upgrade (min 17" wheel size at that point). 330mm vented rotors front and rear and 4 piston calipers.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeah it has trailer brakes but does the stock tow kit interface with them?
electric brakes or surge?

if electric, you'll have to wire a brake controller. If surge, nothing needed other than the 4 pin connector for the lights.

as I've been looking into hitches, the only one I've found that has a 2" receiver rated for 3k is the factory volvo one. It is abhorrently priced.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
My curt 1-1/4" tow bar is Class II rated at 3500/300. I have a 1-1/4" receiver w/2" ball. I also have a 1-1/4"-2" adapter for my hitch basket (thank you princess auto).

The curt hitch is a breeze to install opposed to the OE hitch. Get under the car and it's 6 bolts then your done. Not cutting or removing of the bumper.

·
Registered
161 Posts
T5 brakes are 305mm, over 278mm or something or other for the base brakes. Those 305mm rotors with stock calipers fit under 16" steelies for me. Wonder if XC90 calipers will fit on 305mm rotors with 16" alloy wheels???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
electric brakes or surge?

if electric, you'll have to wire a brake controller. If surge, nothing needed other than the 4 pin connector for the lights.

as I've been looking into hitches, the only one I've found that has a 2" receiver rated for 3k is the factory volvo one. It is abhorrently priced.
The truck had a trailer brake kit I could push to manually enable them so I'm guessing they are electronic. It's a little camper built by Nash in 2000.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
All P2 XCs are AWD. For the P3 AWD became an option when the V70 was discontinued in USA.
Which was 2011
AWD was really not an option, FWD was. You had to order a FWD which had an XC70 body.
Only a Southern dealer may have ordered one of those for inventory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts