SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy a used Volvo S60(2001-2007 or so) and was wondering if you guy might be able to guide me through the process and school me on the S60. I currently own a 2004 Volvo XC70 with 85,000 miles and it has been a wonderful car with almost no problems! I had a 2008 S40 I bought new that has a massive amount of problems and sold it before the warranty was over so I'm one for one with Volvo. After some thought I decided to try a S60 in the same vintage as my XC70 since it has been such a good car.
I know the 2001 and 2002 XC70's had massive problems especially with their transmissions and I'm wondering if the 01 and 02 S60's were the same? Should I look for 2003 and up models? I'd like to find a clean one with under 80,000 miles so it has some life left in it. The following are some questions I have:

What are the best years for this vintage S60?

Are the FWD S60's still good handeling cars and decent in the snow? I live in Colorado.

Is the 2.4 engine as good as the 2.5? How is the 4 cylinder engine?

What should I be looking for when I test drive the car to know it is a good one?

Anyway to tell if the maintenance was done on time?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
01-02 had the ETM problem along with the transmission problems.

03-04 looked the same, but without the problems. 04 has different rearview mirrors

05-07 are facelifted. Plastic headlights(not fluted glass like 01-04), painted trim, and slight refinements in the interior trim. The 05+ T5 has a new engine in this year too, basically a downtuned R engine.

One thing volvo has always done well is build a lasting engine. The 2.3 T5, 2.4 T5 2.4T, 2.5T, and R 2.5 are all solid engines.

Don't buy one until you drive one that has the sport seats!

As with any used car, there are very few that are perfect. Don't ever buy a used car with out an emergency fund. Maintenance under 80k isn't nearly as important as the maintenance after 100k. As long as the oil has been changed regularly and any problem along the way has been fixed, i wouldn't necessarily throw a red flag. Overall cleanliness of the car will tell you if it has been cared for. Buy private party(!) or from a volvo dealership if you want records.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

03-04 looked the same, but without the problems. 04 has different rearview mirrors

05-07 are facelifted. Plastic headlights(not fluted glass like 01-04), painted trim, and slight refinements in the interior trim. The 05+ T5 has a new engine in this year too, basically a downtuned R engine.

One thing volvo has always done well is build a lasting engine. The 2.3 T5, 2.4 T5 2.4T, 2.5T, and R 2.5 are all solid engines.

As with any used car, there are very few that are perfect. Don't ever buy a used car with out an emergency fund. Maintenance under 80k isn't nearly as important as the maintenance after 100k. As long as the oil has been changed regularly and any problem along the way has been fixed, i wouldn't necessarily throw a red flag. Overall cleanliness of the car will tell you if it has been cared for. Buy private party(!) or from a volvo dealership if you want records.
Thanks for the advice! When you say maintenance under 80,000 miles is not as important as it is over 100,000 miles, what exactly do you mean? Normal fluild changes or big ticket repairs? Many thanks!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
it depends of what do you want. Search for a used MANUAL transmission S60 if you can, so you will save money in tranny repairs. After 100k miles means that some fo the car needs at least timing belt kit replaced, pcv system, etc which sometimes means money/labor but nothing that you can try to do it by your self. There is a lot of DIY threads for that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you guys rather buy a car with 85,000 miles but only a car facts report to go off of or a car with 113,000 that the owner has all maintenance records, was garaged every day and looks very clean inside and out?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
remember that miles most of the time doesnt mean well or bad, it all depends of the maintenance thru all the years, what i mean is clean inside/out can be one thing, and inside the engine other one.
From what i see, locate the cars you want to buy, dont know if you have a bit of machanic skills but a compression test, pcv system check and oil check can tell you if you are getting an excelent car or not. Post picture or links here.

regards,

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So how are the 2.9 6 cylinders in the S80's? Found a 2004 S80 with 43,000 miles and looks very clean. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
the problem is the tranny, plus S80 is a total different car!!!.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the problem is the tranny, plus S80 is a total different car!!!.
The 2004 S80's had tranny problems? I did not realize that! What else should I know about the S80? I think I like the s60 more but if I fould a deal on a clean S80 I may consider it unless they all suck. Many thanks!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Most of the tranny problems are on the s80 t6

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Im not fan of the aftermaket wood dash kits but thatbcar looks clean. But for that money you can et good cars including a s60r

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate the wood too! I'm concerned about reliability for the most part. Is this vintage S80 good to go or one to avoid? I think I'm going to stick with the S60 anyway. Check out this 2004 S60 and 2004 S60R. What do you think? The regular S60 has a lot of oil changes and even tranny flush in the car facts report and only has 74k on it. :

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...SEDAN&minPrice=1000&listingId=326102718&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...d=66278813&searchRadius=0&listingId=326229907

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
in autotrader saw great R´s for a good money. But again!!! if you buy a turbo car get it manual :).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
so you will save money in tranny repairs.
A little biased much?

Don't be scared off of the Automatics entirely. The 5-Speed Auto units are pretty stout. They get a lot of flack for shift flare which is an easily avoidable scenario with the B4 Servo upgrade and regular transmission flushes. Which is the kind of work you'd have to do to any automatic transmission.

Also as far as the S80 trans goes, it's Volvo's fault because of how they modified the valve body from the GM 4-speed Unit. If it wasn't for that, the transmission would be a pretty awesome unit (Grand Prix GTP guys found the limit of them to be about 350hp or so).

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I hate the wood too! I'm concerned about reliability for the most part. Is this vintage S80 good to go or one to avoid? I think I'm going to stick with the S60 anyway. Check out this 2004 S60 and 2004 S60R. What do you think? The regular S60 has a lot of oil changes and even tranny flush in the car facts report and only has 74k on it. :

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...SEDAN&minPrice=1000&listingId=326102718&Log=0
i hope no poor soul would pay more than 9k for that car.
Even at 9k its a rip off(in my opinion).

Not half bad, but you can still do better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i hope no poor soul would pay more than 9k for that car.
Even at 9k its a rip off(in my opinion).

Not half bad, but you can still do better.
What should I offer for the S60R posted above? Think it has lots of life left at 110K? Think the dealer would take $9,000?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Make sure you know what you are getting into buying an R though. They can take unsuspecting buyers for a ride. I can't tell you exactly what it is worth just by pictures posted on the internet. It does have the optional 18s and the factory body kit which may make it more appealing to some. Check out the classifieds on this site and don't rush yourself into buying a car. Figure out what you want first. If you would be perfectly happy with a 2.5t AWD, get a 2.5t awd. If you dont want/need the extra power of the R, i'm not sure i'd buy one. That's just my 2cents though.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
What should I offer for the S60R posted above? Think it has lots of life left at 110K? Think the dealer would take $9,000?
Is important that you can figure out how much money you will need to spend in getting the car 100%, for example the cost of the R shocks is about 1800-2400 the set of shocks which most of 04-05 will need to be done soon, awd systems, etc a fwd. T5 manual will be nice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts