SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a few questions on my 2004 C70 Conv with 114000 miles I bought about a year ago.

How do I know when it's time to replace the plugs, ignition coils or struts? I have no idea if they have been replaced previously. I want to make sure the car is kept in good shape but I don't want to waste money if not needed.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Also, the car has two issues it hesitates when pressing the gas, only a little and also sometimes it won't start right away, the engine turns over but it doesn't start, wait a min or two and it starts. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,116 Posts
Hesitation and failure to immediately start can be from old spark plugs with an excessively large gap.

Some people religiously replace their spark plugs every 5k miles. I recheck my gap every 10k, bend them if I need to, but only replace them once they're really worn. This is normally every 30k miles. If you're getting misfires or feeling laggy, than spark plugs are often a culprit.

As for struts, if you hear them bottoming out, see fluid loss, or experience an abnormally rough ride, then they're probably due for replacement. But if you actively avoid potholes and gently crawl over speed bumps, your struts can last forever. I had original struts on my last car for 150k miles, 80k miles with a 2" drop on those original struts, and they were still fine when I sold the car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Plugs - go ahead and replace them. Maybe wait until 120k miles so it will be easy to remember. Plan on replacing them every 30k miles.
Coils - they either work or they don't. Replace them when they fail.
Struts - depends on the life the car has led. My wife's car needed new front struts at 75k miles (I bought it used), the rear shocks are still the original parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What type of plugs should one use my 1999 owners manual calls for Champion RC8PYP, would those be fine or should I go with EM? I apologize for jumping on the original OP's thread. :beer:

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
The consensus is to use Volvo branded plugs. Far and away the fewest issues with them, except you still have to gap them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts