SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently driving a '97 850, and while it's been a very reliable car, I'm in the mood for something different. I came across an '05 Volvo S80 last night, and test drove it. The car has 178k on the odometer, and reports a problem with the alarm system, which I understand is a rather common problem. Also the center console appeared to be broken in some way, it wouldn't close correctly. The rest of the interior was mint. The tires were in good condition as well. The test drive went well, and overall I was very pleased with how it shifted, ran, and rode going down the road. Upon popping the hood, I noticed a few things that caught my attention. Please see the following pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/O5Sho

I noticed what I would think is a hose related to the PCV system on the top of the engine was completely cracked, and likely leaking oil under the plastic covers. I would definitely investigate that further, and use that as a bargaining chip to get the price down. Also the hose that ran over the engine appeared to be leaking near the back of the engine. Can anyone provide some insight as to what motor is currently installed in this system? I'm familiar with 850 5 cylinders, but this engine I wasn't quite sure about, is it a I5 engine as well? Also, if I check out the car again, is there anything else I should absolutely check out further?

Currently it's listed for $3350. According to the sticker near the timing belt, it appears to have a few thousand miles left on it before requiring replacement. Does $3350 seem too high for a car in this condition? Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ya thats 2.5T engine. Thats the same engine i have on my 2006 S80. same car design. Nothing much changed in 2005 and 2006. As for that PCV leak, ya you def have to replace it. I did it at the dealer . sure it was high but he also did timing belt and many other things. and gave a discount too. Also do not forget the spark plugs change too.
For the interior the center console is a common problem to have broken.
Make sure all the button and sunroof are working .Also check the battery (located in the trunk) to make sure no rust and is in good condition.
That leak you mention at the back is prolly turbo leak? i never had that.
How about posting some exterior and interior pics.

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll post some pictures when I stop by the lot again today. I also didn't think to check the sunroof since we've had a fair amount of ice and snow lately, and I didn't want to stress it, but I will. The exterior of the car is clean, minus a slight blemish on the rear bumper. The car started without any tick, and since we had to brush it off, I imagine it hasn't been started in some time. At least a week or more. It started right up and sounded strong. Is the PCV system replacement the same difficulty or harder than the PCV replacement for an 850/S70?

As for right now, I can provide the listing of the car, from the dealer's website:

http://www.woodysauto.net/2005_Volvo_S80_Cambridge_MN_260876033.veh

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, it's 2.5T, 208HP.

Your PCV system needs repair. The "hose over the engine" is actually a hard plastic pipe that runs the compressed air from the turbo to the intercooler behind the radiator. From there it goes to the throttle body. There will be a short piece of high temp rubber hose attaching the hard plastic pipe to the turbo itself. Oil in this area is indicative of more PCV problems; you'll find a hose similar in size to your broken one running back to the PCV box (I think that's where it goes). This can get clogged over time, and oil starts to build up in this area. I have the same issue on my V70 wagon's turbo and i'm planning on addressing it in a week or two.

One thing to check is to put a latex or nitrile glove over the oil filler (after removing the oil cap) and starting the engine. It should gradually suck the glove down, indicating negative crankcase pressure. If it inflates instead, your PCV box is definitely shot and needs replacing. Not too bad a job if you're handy, you have to remove the intake manifold to get at it so you'll need a new box and an intake manifold gasket.

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, so the PCV system replacement is very much similar to the 850s and S70s. I will again check with the glove method, and hopefully that will give me some bargaining with the price. I'm relatively handy, so I figure I can do the PCV system myself. Does it matter if the engine is warm or cold while performing the glove test?

·
Registered
334 Posts
naw i do no think it matters but just incase if you can do both that will be through test :). I have not done it but i have seen on youtube when the engine is warm.
Well those pictures look like the body is very clean so is the interior. Also i assume that there are no rust.
Did you go for a test drive

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yep, took it for about a fifteen mile test drive, it rode really nice, considering the road conditions here in Minnesota right now. Got it out on the highway, she seemed to shift really nice, but I couldn't find the transmission dip stick for the life of me while searching under the hood, where is it located? I wanted to do a smell test. The body was especially clean, besides a small blemish on the rear bumper that you can see in one of the pictures. Even with a PCV replacement due in short order, does the asking price seem fair? I noticed it's actually listed cheaper on the site than the window sticker..

Edit: stopped by again today after work for another test drive, lined up a stall tomorrow at a small time mechanic shop in town to get it up on a lift to get a glance at the under carriage prior to buying it, got the price down to $1999 as reported on their site. I'm getting good feelings from the car, despite a few areas of concern (the PCV hose, and that leaking turbo hose) I'll likely attempt the glove test tomorrow too. My question is, for $1999 does this seem life a decent deal? Were most early issues with S80s ironed out by 2005?

·
Registered
334 Posts
The trans dipstick is on odd location. But here is pic to identify and it should be a pink/yellow colour dipstick located deep inside all those hoses.
I think 2005-20006 with 2.5T have the good trans and few problems than pre-2005. So you are in better year.I did like 3 so far drain n fill with Toyota TypeIV fluid . I do not want to to flush or anything else.
In addition it wont hurt to get once a while (not in hurry) to get software upgrade from dealership only. They do that for free if you get any service from them. Anywhere from oil change to major repair work. I did that to twice. One for spark plugs and one for PCV. I think it made the car drove nicer but it was subtle. Nonetheless, its an upgrade.
Oh speaking of, u wil also need sparkplugs change
As for the price i think $2000 seems about right. You could bargain for lower if u can. say like "i would also need to change spark plugs on top of timing belt and pcv and all other fluids too" .
2005-2006 are the best years to get S80s.
Also check all engine and transmission mounts too. And what about carfax report??

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for the heads up about the transmission stick line, I'll seek it out tomorrow. I have the VIN, but this particular lot doesn't run a CarFax on their cars ( which I find mildly suspicious) I may just swallow the cash and run one on the VIN myself tomorrow morning. I'll check engine mounts once it's up on the lift tomorrow. I plan on going for an extended test drive tomorrow, to make sure they didn't clear any OBD2 codes, which sometimes take a while for the system to rerun it's check. Luckily it's supposed to be a tad warmer tomorrow, so I'll be able to see how she really performs on highways and whatnot. I generally tend to purchase cars from third parties who generally don't try anything sneaky with their used cars, and luckily this lot is fairly laid back, and probably won't have an issue with me taking a 30-45 minute test drive. Do these I5s have a bolt to drain tranny fluid just like my 850, making it nice and easy for a 3 step transmission "flush"?

I apologize for all the questions, this is literally the newest car I've ever purchased, as you can see from my signature :) If I end up purchasing it, it'll be a stage 1 process as soon as possible. Also, did not S80s come with a stock turbo pressure gauge? I'm still concerned about what appears to be a leak near the turbo, but won't be able to make any conclusions until I can check the car from underneath. Ah, the glory of small town mechanic shops that you've worked with that will allow you to occupy one of their bays for a $10-20 bribe just to be able to use it :)

Edit: By '05 Volvo had moved away from the GM transmissions of early S80s right?

·
Registered
334 Posts
ya i agree on the longer test drive.
Yes there is bolt for trans drain. Its located near the drivers tires or directly underneath the engine air filter box. I have posted a link on youtube where i did a drain it.
I would not do a flush. Those trans are very "sensitive" to flush and i have heard bad stories. There fore i have stuck with drain n fill.
And LOL for turbo boost gauge. Never came with guage. But owners have installed it atermarket.
And ya you are right on GM trans moving away.
Also you could call up local Volvo dealer to see if this car has been in their shop in the past. Just incase.

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ah, thank you. I'll likely do the partial flush like I did with my 850 that turned out rather nicely. I'm also glad to hear that by this year the GM trannies were out, that gives me additional hope.

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I apologize for the double post, but I just shelled out the money for a CarFax report. No accidents reported, and the car was originally from California before moving here for Minnesota for most of it's life. It appears the previous owner brought the car in for regular maintenance, including light bulb fixes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well the carfax reportis good.
And ah yes the light bulbs. You will find that a lot of times will burn out . Volvos have a design flaw in the lightning system in that all the lights (headlights, tail lights etc) turn on when you start the car. Its useless if the weather is hot n sunny. You dont need all those lights turning on. Its just a waste of power too. Thats why when i drive i turn the headlight switch on parking position and have the fogs as DRLs.
I might one day go to the dealer and have this system turn off or something

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did you buy it?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Open the oil cap. IF there is gunk in there the previous owner didn't take care of it. I would pass based solely on oil poor condition - Unless you want to have expensive repairs down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts