·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
New to forum so please forgive me if this is posted in wrong place

My steering has developed a weird fault/feeling

Car is a facelift C30 D4 61 PLATE/94K ish miles

The power steering works .. lock to lock is smooth .. but between 11 and 1 o clock on the wheel it just feels stiffer than usual ? So all the lil inputs you put in to the wheel to make the car stay straight because they take more effort now are much more exaggerated making the car feel weird and unstable .. Much more noticable at 60/70

Had the car 2 month .. its had a new battery and a new alternator (yesterday as garage said it was over charging) and was kind of hoping the issue was a symptom of the alternator .. turns out it isnt .. garage also changed fluid out as they said it was manky which i can believe at that mileage

Pump whines but its electronic so it always will ?

Im fairly hands on but dont really want to start replaceing parts for the sake of it without proper diagnosis

Any help much appreciated

Paul

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Hi all
New to forum so please forgive me if this is posted in wrong place

My steering has developed a weird fault/feeling

Car is a facelift C30 D4 61 PLATE/94K ish miles

The power steering works .. lock to lock is smooth .. but between 11 and 1 o clock on the wheel it just feels stiffer than usual ? So all the lil inputs you put in to the wheel to make the car stay straight because they take more effort now are much more exaggerated making the car feel weird and unstable .. Much more noticable at 60/70

Had the car 2 month .. its had a new battery and a new alternator (yesterday as garage said it was over charging) and was kind of hoping the issue was a symptom of the alternator .. turns out it isnt .. garage also changed fluid out as they said it was manky which i can believe at that mileage

Pump whines but its electronic so it always will ?

Im fairly hands on but dont really want to start replaceing parts for the sake of it without proper diagnosis

Any help much appreciated

Paul
Welcome aboard.
As for the whine, you more than likely have some air bubbles in the fluid. You could try swapping in some fresh new fluid and then manually bleed the system. My pump was whisper quiet until I hit what must have been the granddaddy of all raccoons, and then the whining started. Removed as much fluid from the reservoir as possible and then bleed the system. No more whine.

Raccoon....pump is just behind here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
Garage have already done the fluid by means of sucking it out and refilling and then again after a run round the block

I can live with the whine .. its more the twitchy steering .. the car just feels heavy and sluggish

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
When you say twitchy I’m trying understand what is going on exactly....

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Thanks for the reply
Garage have already done the fluid by means of sucking it out and refilling and then again after a run round the block

I can live with the whine .. its more the twitchy steering .. the car just feels heavy and sluggish
With any luck it may work itself out...the whine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say twitchy I’m trying understand what is going on exactly....
Its more noticeable at 70 .. between 11 and 1 o clock steering it feels stiff .. so all the tiny lil inputs and adjustments you put in to keep the car in lane and going straight take more effort .. which makes them bigger movements because its harder to turn .. its hard to explain but could be noticed straight away

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Its more noticeable at 70 .. between 11 and 1 o clock steering it feels stiff .. so all the tiny lil inputs and adjustments you put in to keep the car in lane and going straight take more effort .. which makes them bigger movements because its harder to turn .. its hard to explain but could be noticed straight away
How long ago was it aligned?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Another thought is, I believe these cars have speed sensitive steering which will make the steering wheel feel firmer at speed and easier at low speeds....Someone else may chyme in on that ahead of me as I am looking into it just the now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thought is, I believe these cars have speed sensitive steering which will make the steering wheel feel firmer at speed and easier at low speeds....Someone else may chyme in on that ahead of me as I am looking into it just the now.
I believe this to be true aswell
But i have no idea how to test this ? Steering could be stuck in slightly heavier mode ?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
From what I’ve just read, they do in fact have it. Apparently at higher speeds the steering becomes firmer to aid in high speed control. (More effort to turn the wheel). Now, if it is doing this at lower speed, than another issue could be at play. But you said, 60-70......mph or kph?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I’ve just read, they do in fact have it. Apparently at higher speeds the steering becomes firmer to aid in high speed control. (More effort to turn the wheel). Now, if it is doing this at lower speed, than another issue could be at play. But you said, 60-70......mph or kph?
Sorry
70 mph

What regulates this ? Is it the pump or a relay or ?!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Sorry
70 mph

What regulates this ? Is it the pump or a relay or ?!
Looking into that just the now..lol. What year is your car?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Its a 61 plate

D4 5cylinder diesel
Well, if it is harder at speed then that would mean that it is working correctly. It’s easy when parking, correct?
I also had to look up the UK plate system as 61 didn’t mean much to me. Lol. 2011-12 correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, if it is harder at speed then that would mean that it is working correctly. It’s easy when parking, correct?
I also had to look up the UK plate system as 61 didn’t mean much to me. Lol. 2011-12 correct?
Yes 2011 .. i didnt realise you werent from uk lol

What your saying is right .. but .. its heavier than when i bought it 2 month ago .. like it doesnt self centre properly and takes more effort to move

Its really hard to describe ..

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Yes 2011 .. i didnt realise you werent from uk lol

What your saying is right .. but .. its heavier than when i bought it 2 month ago .. like it doesnt self centre properly and takes more effort to move

Its really hard to describe ..
Tire pressures on point?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Yeah .. First thing I checked when it started to feel weird .. 36 psi all round .. although .. the fronts are probably have 30% wear left on them ?
What is the max cold pressure of the tire?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts