SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are headed for our OSD trip to pick up our XC90 in early April and have been struggling to figure out where we should stay and what we should do once we leave Gothenburg and try to spend a couple of nights along the western coast of Sweden (we're heading to Stockholm after that). We've tried to read around the interwebs and the OSD forum the best we can, but nothing has really jumped out at us as top choices or "must do's". We would love to enjoy the scenery and fresh seafood we've read about, but outside of that we are open to most possibilities if they are along the coast (north or south of Gothenburg). Any advice or ideas would be wonderful :thumbup:!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Strömstad is a nice little town where you might be able to enjoy the scenery. I am not sure if the seasonal restaurants are open yet, but it is a beautiful little town.

freezingalaskan

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My wife and I are headed for our OSD trip to pick up our XC90 in early April and have been struggling to figure out where we should stay and what we should do once we leave Gothenburg and try to spend a couple of nights along the western coast of Sweden (we're heading to Stockholm after that). We've tried to read around the interwebs and the OSD forum the best we can, but nothing has really jumped out at us as top choices or "must do's". We would love to enjoy the scenery and fresh seafood we've read about, but outside of that we are open to most possibilities if they are along the coast (north or south of Gothenburg). Any advice or ideas would be wonderful :thumbup:!
I would PM 26GAP....he (Glen) and his wife picked up a XC90 recently and toured the Swedish west coast. He could give you a lot of great advice......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome...thanks for the advice. I'll look into Strömstad and definitely reach out to 26GAP. Any additional advice is definitely welcome!

·
Registered
170 Posts
A number of people have told me that Lysekil is worth a visit. The problem is, much western Sweden doesn't really come alive until at least the middle of May. The area seems to naturally cater more to the summer vacationer. So a lot of the tourism-based services (buses, ferries, cruises, attractions, etc.) either don't operate or do so on a very limited schedule during the off-season.

Our OSD will be in late April, so we kind of went through that while planning. It looks like there's still plenty to see, but you just have to see what is available.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Buses and ferries will work all year - people live there all year round. But cruises and such may be limited. However, in April, its starting to come alive again.

Fiskebäckskil and the restaurant "Brygghuset" is well worth a visit for lunch. It's a nice drive out to Skaftö. I am biased as I summer there...

Nobody said Marstrand yet?

Maybe something like:

Day 1: Göteborg (breakfast) - Marstrand (lunch) - Klädesholmen (over night, salt & sill)
Day 2: Klädesholmen - drive Flatö - Malö - Skaftö - Fiskebäckskil (lunch) - Lysekil (overnight) or Spa at "Vann Spa"
Day 3: Vann spa - Strömstad (lunch) - Göteborg

Do let me know if you want to meet when you are here.

Kind regards,
Jonas

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nobody said Marstrand yet?
I'm actually planning to go to Marstrand for a day trip. Because I would've already returned the car by then, I need to rely on public transportation. Unfortunately, the cruise that goes directly from Gothenburg to Marstrand runs only during the summer. So from the information I've gathered, I need to take a couple of local buses starting from Nils Ericson Terminal. I'm still not sure if there's really anything going on in Marstrand when we go there. I just hope some things are open to make it a worthwhile trip.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't know how is your schedule but there are a lot of places inland that are worth the drive.

Back on our first OSD, Volvo offered a preplanned tour called "Manors and Castles" which essentially took you through various places, while staying at old houses or castles. The day trips offered plenty of time to visit other places such as Lidkoping, where we bought some crystal and porcelain nicknacks from a factory store. From there, we drove to Lacko Slott, which although it was closed for the season, we could still walk around and take some neat pictures (without any tourists!). I don't know if they (or someone else) still offer something like that but that is an easy way to get to know that section of the country.

If you like older cities, you will enjoy Stockholm. Its old city section (Gamla Stan) is absolutely gorgeous and a pleasure to visit. My suggestion: if it might get old, think about getting the city pass so you can duck into any museum for a short while to warm up! In Stockholm, we stayed at the Radisson Blu which is right next to the train station and a couple of short blocks away from Gamla Stan. For us, it was a perfect location.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
If you like old history, check out Ales Stenar near Ystad -- a Stonehenge.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'm actually planning to go to Marstrand for a day trip. Because I would've already returned the car by then, I need to rely on public transportation. Unfortunately, the cruise that goes directly from Gothenburg to Marstrand runs only during the summer. So from the information I've gathered, I need to take a couple of local buses starting from Nils Ericson Terminal. I'm still not sure if there's really anything going on in Marstrand when we go there. I just hope some things are open to make it a worthwhile trip.
I just found this link for info on buses, ferries, etc. http://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/en/
There seems to be a bus that takes you directly from Gothenburg to Marstrand called "Marstrand Express" -- very appropriately... :p
Here is the timetable (I think): http://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/reseinformation/tidtabeller/marstrand-express-goteborg-kungalv/

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked her up today!! Can't wait to actually get her home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Great looking car, Matt! It was worth the extra wait, wasn't it? :p

In that first picture, you can peek the rear of the car they loaned me. The diesel drives nice although it's less powerful! It is a pity they don't offer it in the States

It was fun finally meeting you yesterday!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great looking car, Matt! It was worth the extra wait, wasn't it? :p

In that first picture, you can peek the rear of the car they loaned me. The diesel drives nice although it's less powerful! It is a pity they don't offer it in the States

It was fun finally meeting you yesterday!
Thanks, Ignacio! Great meeting you and your wife. Your car will be worth the wait as well!! Gotta love the Swedespeed community.

Still here through the end of the week and then the next wait for the car to arrive stateside begins :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
GoFins, I think we were at the FDC the same day (4/4) that you and Ig_mb were - we took delivery of the Passion Red R-Design, and yes, the waiting sucks! Ours still hasn't shown up on WWL tracking...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GoFins, I think we were at the FDC the same day (4/4) that you and Ig_mb were - we took delivery of the Passion Red R-Design, and yes, the waiting sucks! Ours still hasn't shown up on WWL tracking...
Well I was the guy there with the red hair (with my wife) if that helps :). I think I remember seeing a red XC90 outside which sounds like was yours. Beautiful! There's no way in hell my wife would let me get the Passion Red or Bursting Blue even though I love both. I'll let you know if I find out any updates on our tracking soon. Going to drop off some of the paperwork for registration to my dealer this week and was going to ask him for an update.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, I remember you both. You're lucky that the dealer can do the registration for you in your state. Here in DE we have to do it ourselves which means a trip to the DMV...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I remember you both. You're lucky that the dealer can do the registration for you in your state. Here in DE we have to do it ourselves which means a trip to the DMV...
Ours just showed up on the W&W tracking today! Looks like it didn't leave on the ship I was hoping for that left on 4/11 (which was our estimated shipping date on the report they gave us on the FDC). Our boat is the Atlantic Star leaving GOT on 5/2 and estimated to arrive in Baltimore on 5/20. Looking at the W&W shipping schedules 4/11 and 5/2 is one of the largest gaps between boats I've seen between GOT and Baltimore. Oh well, at least I have some clarity now! Back to waiting patiently....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yup mine is on the Atlantic Star too. I hope they can do a quick turnaround at Baltimore - we have family arriving Memorial Day weekend and really need the third row seats!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts