SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,<BR>I have a '98 S70 GLT and I'm interested in adjusting the waste gate to increase boost. Can someone tell me where to find the parts under the hood to make the adjustment and what I can expect with increased boost, besides more power. Also, will this consume more gas? TIA.<BR>Brad

·
Registered
30 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTBrad:<BR><B>Hello,<BR>I have a '98 S70 GLT and I'm interested in adjusting the waste gate to increase boost. Can someone tell me where to find the parts under the hood to make the adjustment and what I can expect with increased boost, besides more power. Also, will this consume more gas? TIA.<BR>Brad</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Brad,<P>Certainly increasing boost will increase the ultimate horsepower, everything else being equal. Yes, it will increase fuel consumption for the times that you actually use the increased boost, over what you would have gotten. That is just physics since the boost is just forcing more air into the engine more fuel also has to be added to keep the proper fuel/air ratio.<P>You can also expect some sort of reduced life for the engine, at lease in the long term but that is hard to quantify depending on how much extra boost you pull and how often. Be aware though that the T5 engine, Volvo's official high boost version has a number of internal changes to handle the higher boost.<P>I don't know how much additional air flow the whole fuel injection system can handle. I had a Turbo Supra at one time with aftermarket add ons that greatly increased the boost. I was able to vary the amount of increase and with this particular setup I was able to increase the boost until the fuel system just couldn't keep up and would quit with a bang! Not very much fun at full power. I learned how much to limit the boost to avoid that. Of course it was still WAY above the normal boost.<P>With all of this I assume there is some amount that the standard boost could be increased and still have decent engine life and driveability but I have decided to keep mine stock.<P>Eric<BR>

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big E:<BR><B> Brad,<P>Certainly increasing boost will increase the ultimate horsepower, everything else being equal. Yes, it will increase fuel consumption for the times that you actually use the increased boost, over what you would have gotten. That is just physics since the boost is just forcing more air into the engine more fuel also has to be added to keep the proper fuel/air ratio.<P>You can also expect some sort of reduced life for the engine, at lease in the long term but that is hard to quantify depending on how much extra boost you pull and how often. Be aware though that the T5 engine, Volvo's official high boost version has a number of internal changes to handle the higher boost.<P>I don't know how much additional air flow the whole fuel injection system can handle. I had a Turbo Supra at one time with aftermarket add ons that greatly increased the boost. I was able to vary the amount of increase and with this particular setup I was able to increase the boost until the fuel system just couldn't keep up and would quit with a bang! Not very much fun at full power. I learned how much to limit the boost to avoid that. Of course it was still WAY above the normal boost.<P>With all of this I assume there is some amount that the standard boost could be increased and still have decent engine life and driveability but I have decided to keep mine stock.<P>Eric</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahhh, a Supra Turbo....[drooling]...what a sweet car that was...[slobbering]...<P><BR>Yannis<BR><P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts