SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as much as it pains me to say it, I lowered my WG psi. I was at 4.8psi and man it was fun to drive. 12psi boost at 2000rpm is a hoot, but......I Was getting like 19 mpg in the city and 22 hwy. It was also snappy and jerky around town. Not good at all. I lowered it to about 3.2psi. Now it builds full boost at 2800rpm. Itll still beat mustang GT's, just takes a bit longer to get there lol. Depending on how my mpg's improve or not over the next week I may leave it or go back down. ]

BTW I use a homemade psi gauge from an old sphygnomometer I had lying around. just convert the mmHg to psi. mmHg x 14.7 / 760 = psi

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
12 psi at 2000 RPM...isn't that how you said you blew your cam seals? I agree that it's very 'jerky' around town...especially when the A/C is on. It's actually annoying as hell.

Tell me, because I don't have a psi gauge...when shortening the actuator rod, after the point at which the thimble nut starts to give resistance, how many turns are you past that point? I think I'm about one turn past that and mine still seems very sensitive. Any setting below that resistance point will be too loose and I get a vibration sound from the wastegate spring on deceleration.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12 psi at 2000 RPM...isn't that how you said you blew your cam seals? I agree that it's very 'jerky' around town...especially when the A/C is on. It's actually annoying as hell.

Tell me, because I don't have a psi gauge...when shortening the actuator rod, after the point at which the thimble nut starts to give resistance, how many turns are you past that point? I think I'm about one turn past that and mine still seems very sensitive. Any setting below that resistance point will be too loose and I get a vibration sound from the wastegate spring on deceleration.
Haha ya i think that is why my cams went, but since i had the top end rebuilt and a two year warranty I wasnt too afraid to play around.
I dont know about your situation. Iv enever payed attention to it in that way. I would either go by ps, like 9 bux at walgreensi. Or see when you boot comes on full. Honestly I wouldnt have full boost under 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
iv always wanted to adjust mine, are you guys tuned?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes, I have the Autotech tune. You can turn your thimble half a turn but I wouldn't go more than that. The bonus with mine is that when the fabricator did my downpipe, he trimmed my turbo heat shield...so that gives me easy access to the actuator rod adjustment from under the hood. Otherwise, I believe you'll need to put the car on a lift and go from underneath.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MM just to clarify, a half turn would be okay with a stock tune? I came from the Audi scene and am relatively new to Volvos, I know I could safely crank my wastegate a little bit with a little K03, but I don't know very much about the T5s, yet. lol

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes, that would be okay. I would start with a half turn and take it for a spin after (FYI, shortening the rod will be turning the thimble toward the firewall).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts