SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the rear arms in the mail today so I can finally eliminate the god awful -2.1 rear camber issue that's been eating tires and causing them to ROAR.

With that in mind- what's a good camber setting I should be aiming for? Keep in mind this is my daily driver and nothing I race hard. Tire life is my priority.

Front camber is something around -1.4 and -1.1 - do I match it? I'm thinking closer to 0 would be best, but I am not an alignment guru. Thanks for your help!

Oh, and do you think I'll be able to install them in a couple hours?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Getting the rear arms in the mail today so I can finally eliminate the god awful -2.1 rear camber issue that's been eating tires and causing them to ROAR.

With that in mind- what's a good camber setting I should be aiming for? Keep in mind this is my daily driver and nothing I race hard. Tire life is my priority.

Front camber is something around -1.4 and -1.1 - do I match it? I'm thinking closer to 0 would be best, but I am not an alignment guru. Thanks for your help!

Oh, and do you think I'll be able to install them in a couple hours?

S40/V50/C30 std and dynamic....-1.52° ± 1°
S40/V50 AWD............................-1.52° ± 1°
S40/V50/C30 Sportchassise........-1.92° ± 1°
S40/V50/C30 ECOCH.................-1.72° ± 1°
C70..........................................-1.72° ± 1°

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S40/V50/C30 std and dynamic....-1.52° ± 1°
S40/V50 AWD............................-1.52° ± 1°
S40/V50/C30 Sportchassise........-1.92° ± 1°
S40/V50/C30 ECOCH.................-1.72° ± 1°
C70..........................................-1.72° ± 1°
So maybe near -.5, huh?

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have mine at -1 degrees.
And how are your tires wearing?

I guess anything equal to or less than the fronts makes sense since now all wear would happen up front given that's not adjustable.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
They are actually wearing pretty evenly, although my rear toe keeps going out, causing tread squirm which causes alternate tread blocks to wear, which then makes them roar. I need to find a better solution to the toe adjustment design on this car. It's way to sensitive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I set at -.9 degrees empty tank, comes to about -1 to -1.1 at full tank. Handles fine, wear is even, and now I have full contact of the tire on the road (only the inner 3/4 of the tire touched when adjusted to stock settings).

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
.. only the inner 3/4 of the tire touched when adjusted to stock settings.
That is true when looking statically (in standstill) but it's different in the corner and that's why you get better handling with rear camber being set to -2 compared to -1.

Of course, there is a price to pay and that is tire wear..

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are actually wearing pretty evenly, although my rear toe keeps going out, causing tread squirm which causes alternate tread blocks to wear, which then makes them roar. I need to find a better solution to the toe adjustment design on this car. It's way to sensitive.
I'm getting that some too. So it's the toe that's causing the sawtoothing? What's the best toe setting to eliminate that? Yikes, I'm such an alignment noob.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Tire life is my priority , should be around -1.25 Max - IMHO for the Rears , and My Frt . just came in at -1.0

Should also take into account how wide and heavy a Tire Package Your running .

Highway Speed on a wider sticky tire - will pull those back more then say 205-215's vs 225-235's

500 wear factors vs 220 wear factors - those are pretty sticky , and don't roll as easy . :beer:

added note about Frt & Rears

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'm getting that some too. So it's the toe that's causing the sawtoothing? What's the best toe setting to eliminate that? Yikes, I'm such an alignment noob.
Rear toe factory spec:

S40/V50/C30 std and dynamic 0.3° ± 0.2°
S40/V50 AWD............................0.3° ± 0.2°
S40/V50/C30 Sportchassie..........0.3° ± 0.2°
S40/V50/C30 ECOCH ................0.3° ± 0.2°
C70...........................................0.3° ± 0.2°

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
There are adjustable Toe - Links - for these , a little pricey .

I set Frt. to 0 -.1 and rears 0 +.1 - every one has their personal favorites .

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
After my coilover installation, I did -1.4 for the rear tires and -1.2 on the front driver's side. Unfortunately with no front camber adjustment, my front passenger side wheel is at -2.0

Oh well.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear toe factory spec:

S40/V50/C30 std and dynamic 0.3° ± 0.2°
S40/V50 AWD............................0.3° ± 0.2°
S40/V50/C30 Sportchassie..........0.3° ± 0.2°
S40/V50/C30 ECOCH ................0.3° ± 0.2°
C70...........................................0.3° ± 0.2°
Thanks! But, is .5 going to lead to more wear or .1 (max vs min in the range for me). Does .1 mean the tire is most parallel with the drivetrain? I assume .5 allows for more tire scrubbing as it's pointed in more?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
So much talk about tuning and now you're saying
"tire life is my priority..
- that was Cut and Pasted from above !
LOL - I didn't scream that out . :p

Thou , I also take it into Acct.
Tire life should be considered @ $600 + alignment + Camber adjustments = Add's up in a Hurry .

Unless You happen to have a Set - You can throw on just for Cannon Carving !

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
After my coilover installation, I did -1.4 for the rear tires and -1.2 on the front driver's side. Unfortunately with no front camber adjustment, my front passenger side wheel is at -2.0

Oh well.
LOL - Circle Track set up .

You could Pull the Top Out - might be able to get .25 less on that side .

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thanks! But, is .5 going to lead to more wear or .1 (max vs min in the range for me). Does .1 mean the tire is most parallel with the drivetrain? I assume .5 allows for more tire scrubbing as it's pointed in more?
Yes, .1 means tire is more parallel then .5, but still toed-in. 0 rear toe means rear wheels are absolutely parallel.

Don't use .5, you will wear outside edges and cause instability. You should never come out of factory range for any parameter.

Maybe you should read this: http://www.se-r.net/car_info/suspension_tuning.html ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts