SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

I took delivery of my 2016 P* 3 weeks ago and I am debating if I should rust proof it. I live in Ottawa Canada and we are right within the snowbelt region.
Any suggestions from people who live in the snowbelt region?

Here are a shot of my car just few days ago. Love the car so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello Gents,

I took delivery of my 2016 P* 3 weeks ago and I am debating if I should rust proof it. I live in Ottawa Canada and we are right within the snowbelt region.
Any suggestions from people who live in the snowbelt region?

Here are a shot of my car just few days ago. Love the car so far.

I had mine treated with Opti-coat Pro Plus all around, with Protection on the hood and fenders... (I am in Montreal ;-) )

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is just paint protection, correct?. Did you anything undercarriage to prevent rust?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nothing yet.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you ryjimenez17 :) but this is my only car for all year round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
lots of debate on this topic.

I've never researched it enough though but lots of people recommend against due to the fact that if a piece of metal is starting to rust (even a tiny tiny bit) that covering it up will not stop it, it will continue to rust under the coating.

I would love to delve into this but don't have time. I also live in an area where salt is used and my 2005 chrysler town and country is rusting to oblivion. However I see lots of older volvo's running just fine in very nice shape. Not sure about underneath though...

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've done body work for a living, and I know someone that owns a body shop. He's always been against it. Cars today are dipped in antirust solvents. I'm new to Volvo, but I know for example Subaru has a 10yr warranty against rust. I think if you have a brushless car wash with undercarriage washing jets, it may be the best way to go. Wash the car after a snowstorm if you can.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Considering Volvos are built to survive Swedish winters, I don't think you need any additional rust proofing.

My Volvo 850 has been through many severe winters in Vancouver and ski trips to Whistler/Blackcomb and the interior BC mountains over its years of service. They run a mix of salt/sand there to winterize the roads. I did not have any additional rust proofing added when I bought it new back in 1993. Today it has no rust and is still in great shape.

Of course it helps to regularly wash the undercarriage to remove the salt/sand, rather than leave it on the car for the entire winter. I spray the wheel wells and under the sides, front and rear of the car. Nothing special beyond that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
+1

The only rusty Volvos I see in upstate NY are either 20+ years old or have had some sort of damage that lets the rust get started.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've done body work for a living, and I know someone that owns a body shop. He's always been against it. Cars today are dipped in antirust solvents. I'm new to Volvo, but I know for example Subaru has a 10yr warranty against rust. I think if you have a brushless car wash with undercarriage washing jets, it may be the best way to go. Wash the car after a snowstorm if you can.
+1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the all the advices. I'll just put the car through the car wash more often when the snow come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts