SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am not sure of this is discussed elsewhere, but by my search it seems that this hasn't been thoroughly discussed...

I have a 2011 C70 with the standard (basic) "high performance" stereo, but recently had the opportunity to drive one with the multimedia system upgrade. It blew me away! I'd like to know how I could do the same to the stock audio system in my C70, and what my options are if the OEM is impossible for after-market systems to have such jaw-dropping results (frankly either OEM options or after-market equipment I don't care). But I'd like to still use the steering wheel controls!

Obviously price is an important consideration... As far as installation, I personally can do almost anything with the proper instruction, though I may be weak on terminology :) This wouldn't be the most crazy undertaking I have done!

Can aftermarket subs be added to the stock system and have adjustment control through the standard stereo interface? If not, is it possible to get the "upgraded" OEM Volvo stereo somewhere? I think youget the idea of what I'd like to do...

But bottom line - WOW! What an amazing audio system in that multimedia package!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I am sure others are more knowledgeable, but I can add some data points. As I understand it, the Premium sound system has three different speakers in the doors (woofer, midrange, tweeter) as opposed to two in the regular (High Performance) system. The premium system also adds two midrange speakers to the center dash, next to the navigation display. As for the rear, I believe both the regular and premium systems have two speakers (midrange and tweeter) on the two side panels - however, I do not know if they are the same speakers in both installations. In addition, I believe the Premium system includes two 8" subwoofers separately powered by a 2x130w amp and located behind (or beneath?) the rear seat (more on this below). Finally, the Premium system has a 5x130w digital amp with Dolby surround, while the regular system uses a 4x40w amp.

If you look at the C70 brochure, it compares the two systems and lists the major components. One question I had when shopping for my 2011 was whether the additional subwoofers are "standard" with the Premium system or an additional option. My C70 has them (that's what the sticker said, and you can definitely feel them!), but if you read the brochure it suggests that the subwoofers are optional. I strongly suspect that all Premium systems came with the two subs. It may be possible that the subs were an option for the regular system.

In any event, once I listened to both systems I knew I wanted the Premium system. The High performance system was very good - but the Premium was a big step up, especially with the subs. Plus, I also wanted the navi and you couldn't unbundle the two.

So, a lot of swapping would be required. I bet it is doable, but very challenging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information! I appreciate the lengthy description.

I FULLY plan on putting subs into the car, and upgrading the speakers and related amps when I can learn how to do so, and as I am able. First thing will be the subs, then the rest of them. The centre speaker will be difficult to get my hands on I'm sure.

But yes that upgraded system is amazing. If anyone has any insight on the take-apart procedures and replacement process I would love to hear it!

BTW, do you know if the console stereo is the same and just the amplifiers and speakers are different - or are all the components different?

Cheers

·
Registered
649 Posts
BTW, do you know if the console stereo is the same and just the amplifiers and speakers are different - or are all the components different?
Not sure but a quick glimpse at a few parts lists and diagrams suggests that the head units and wire harnesses may be different. If you haven't already, check out the various part diagrams available on line from volvo parts store, tasca parts, palisades, etc. etc. Here's one: http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=865&modelYear=2011&ukey_model=12007&ukey_trimLevel=00&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_Category=0&numResults=250&sortOrder=Relevance&isOnSale=0&isAccessory=0&isPerformance=0&searchTerm=audio

When I get a chance I will poke around the back seat of mine to see if I can locate the subs. In a past convertible I owned (Solara with factory JBL system), the single subwoofer was located behind the seat back rest cushion, which was fairly easy to remove and replace.

Best of luck on what looks like a challenging but interesting job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! I look forward to finding out what you learn... If I can get enough information to undertake this task I'll be sure to post a step by step on everything, as it seems that this will take some team work to accomplish

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You might have a look here:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ofer-Project-A-Premium-Journey-to-the-Low-End

Basically, it documents the approach of adding a subwoofer with its own amplifier to the
existing system. You do this by tapping off the front speaker lines and running that to
the new subwoofer amp (which has it's own level control to match everything up). I
did basically the same thing in my s60 (which has the high performance audio) with good
results. Later, I added a JBL MS8 for signal processing. But the subwoofer setup
was the biggest bang for the buck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts