SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Wondering if it's possible to add Park Assist Pilot to my car. I've got a 2017 S60 R-Design w/Polestar (not sure if that makes a difference), and from what I've seen online there are conflicting reports as to whether or not this is doable. I have backup assist, lane keep assist, and BLIS as well (not sure if those make a difference either).

On Volvo's website - accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/S60(11-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-499823/2017 - it certainly seems like I can add it on, or at least purchase the kit and have a dealer install it.

I know that this isn't going to be cheap, but I live in a city and often have to parallel park. Since I'm planning on keeping this car, I feel like this is a good investment to alleviate some of the hassle. Has anyone had experience doing this to their car? Any recommendations for things to look for to check for compatibility?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hi all,

Wondering if it's possible to add Park Assist Pilot to my car. I've got a 2017 S60 R-Design w/Polestar (not sure if that makes a difference), and from what I've seen online there are conflicting reports as to whether or not this is doable. I have backup assist, lane keep assist, and BLIS as well (not sure if those make a difference either).

On Volvo's website - accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/S60(11-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-499823/2017 - it certainly seems like I can add it on, or at least purchase the kit and have a dealer install it.

I know that this isn't going to be cheap, but I live in a city and often have to parallel park. Since I'm planning on keeping this car, I feel like this is a good investment to alleviate some of the hassle. Has anyone had experience doing this to their car? Any recommendations for things to look for to check for compatibility?
Yes, its doable. I looked into this for my 2012. You need front and rear park assist. From there, its a matter of needing the TFT Screen which I think you have since its a 2017. Outside of that, the next question is if you want to do the work yourself or pay volvo tech to tear your car apart. Personally, I would do it myself. If you have a free weekend, you can do it. There's no magic to it. You have the instructions. Buy the parts kit online from your favorite volvo stealership, and once installed either pay the stealership for the software to activate or download through VDASH.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, its doable. I looked into this for my 2012. You need front and rear park assist. From there, its a matter of needing the TFT Screen which I think you have since its a 2017. Outside of that, the next question is if you want to do the work yourself or pay volvo tech to tear your car apart. Personally, I would do it myself. If you have a free weekend, you can do it. There's no magic to it. You have the instructions. Buy the parts kit online from your favorite volvo stealership, and once installed either pay the stealership for the software to activate or download through VDASH.
Thanks for the reply!

Is Front Park Assist just the sensor array that beeps when you nose too close to something? I definitely have that, I don't have a front camera though. The only reason I would defer to a dealership is that I haven't done the whole VIDA / VDASH crack thing, and frankly I don't think I have the means to do it (don't have a personal computer since I just use my work laptop for everything, and most importantly don't have a driveway or access to one for an extended period of time).

Last I checked the parts kit was around ~700 USD, so I was figuring it'd be at least a grand after labor, probably around ~1200 USD - does that sound about right, or does it really just depend on the shop that does the work?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

Is Front Park Assist just the sensor array that beeps when you nose too close to something? I definitely have that, I don't have a front camera though. The only reason I would defer to a dealership is that I haven't done the whole VIDA / VDASH crack thing, and frankly I don't think I have the means to do it (don't have a personal computer since I just use my work laptop for everything, and most importantly don't have a driveway or access to one for an extended period of time).

Last I checked the parts kit was around ~700 USD, so I was figuring it'd be at least a grand after labor, probably around ~1200 USD - does that sound about right, or does it really just depend on the shop that does the work?
Yes, the front park assist is the sensor in the bumper that beep when you get within about 3 feet of a car in front or behind you. Front camera is separate system.

Vdash is super easy. Download the free software, hook up the connectors and 24 hours later you can configure your car.

Retail cost of the parts kit are about what you mentioned. https://usparts.volvocars.com/a/Vol...-assistance--pilot-Ch-299272-/VCC-492001.html
I have no doubt these can be found significantly cheaper online. Labor is where the local dealer will have you over a barrel. If it anything like the $190 an hour the west coast dealers charge, for roughly 8 hours work (high side estimate), that's north of $1,500 for labor.

So the big question is $2,200+ worth the cost of semi-automated parallel parking?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the big question is $2,200+ worth the cost of semi-automated parallel parking?
Well when you put it that way....snagging the parts online and asking the landlord for access to the driveway for a day sounds like a great weekend project. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Well when you put it that way....snagging the parts online and asking the landlord for access to the driveway for a day sounds like a great weekend project. Thanks for the input!
Another idea, if you have an indy mechanic with an extra bay that is "storing a car", considering asking him if you can rent the bay for a day. Negotiate a rate, throw in a case of his/her favorite "beverage" and that may save you from dealing with a landlord, and you can work in the shade.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Labor is where the local dealer will have you over a barrel. If it anything like the $190 an hour the west coast dealers charge, for roughly 8 hours work (high side estimate), that's north of $1,500 for labor.
Don't go lumping the rest of us West Coasters in with your SoCal labor rates. That $190/hour you're seeing is because you're in a suburb of LA in Orange County. Up here in Seattle dealer labor ranges from about $100 to $120 per hour.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Don't go lumping the rest of us West Coasters in with your SoCal labor rates. That $190/hour you're seeing is because you're in a suburb of LA in Orange County. Up here in Seattle dealer labor ranges from about $100 to $120 per hour.
Sadly, you have just confirmed that SoCal volvo owners are getting screwed even more than I the rest of the west coast on the labor rates, which by the way is MORE than the local BMW dealer!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts