SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I have gotten used to a feature on our 855 that is not on our new-to-us '05 V50. The memory seats in the '95 wagon come in real handy, since I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'3".

That said, is there a way to add the memory functionality to our power seat? I figure the whole left-side (US-spec) panel of the seat will have to be replaced at a minimum... and maybe a bit of programming at the dealership. I would love to be able to keep an eye out at junkyards and know what I will need beforehand, assuming this is even possible.

Has anyone ever done this? Thanks...

·
Registered
658 Posts
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_s40/05s40_05a.htm

Yeah, if you look at it on the S40--I'm assuming the V50 has the same setup--you'd have to add that whole section with the memory number buttons--but maybe not as much as you thought. Looking at a little bit of money, but maybe worth it just to save you the frustration day after day. I did a little search, so this might help. Part number will probably be Volvo # 30764951. Around $115 with the buttons, but software upgrade might be around $300 or more. If you can't put the thing in by yourself, then probably add another $200 + $115 for the part. Just my estimate, and it's a loose estimate, based on a typical dealership. So, I'd say around $750 or less from a "stealership" as people say on this forum, and from a more conservative place, maybe a few hundred less? Maybe someone who actually is a Volvo Tech can chime in.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, that helps. The panel with the buttons on it is what I meant, so we're probably talking about the same thing.
I have heard that the memory positions are stored in a computer elsewhere, and so i figure there would have to be wires dedicated for the memory function in the seat wire harness. I wonder tho if the wire harnesses are the same - for power sears vs memory seats - coming from the seat to... some computer... somewhere. Tomorrow I'm going to get under the seat and count the wires going to the seat connector and the number of wires coming from the seat connector. I'm hoping there are a few extra leads on the "body side" of the connector, unused by my current seat setup.
I tell ya, the upgrade to memory seats probably won't happen if I have to add leads to a wire bundle....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so I took apart the seat connector tonite and yes, there is an unused pair of wires leading to the seat. I'd love to know if the pair I saw is actually for transmitting memory data. I bet it is, since they are small-gauge wires.

So... My next question... Anyone got very detailed wiring diagrams? Or a shop manual? (I'll start a new thread for that one...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts