SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All!
I recently found myself purchasing a 2018 V60 T5 AWD. The car is pretty well optioned with active bending lights, headlamp washers, a heated steering wheel and BLIS. I have been considering the idea of adding lane keeping aid or road sign recognition to the vehicle. Has anyone had any success with this? Does anyone know the differences (hardware) between cars equipped with lane keeping aid and those only with city safety? I would imagine they use the same sensors and cameras but are disabled since the option was not purchased? (kinda like remote start). Is this a possible VDASH upgrade?

Cheers!

Thanks in advance for any insight

-Andrew

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hello, All!
I recently found myself purchasing a 2018 V60 T5 AWD. The car is pretty well optioned with active bending lights, headlamp washers, a heated steering wheel and BLIS. I have been considering the idea of adding lane keeping aid or road sign recognition to the vehicle. Has anyone had any success with this? Does anyone know the differences (hardware) between cars equipped with lane keeping aid and those only with city safety? I would imagine they use the same sensors and cameras but are disabled since the option was not purchased? (kinda like remote start). Is this a possible VDASH upgrade?

Cheers!

-Andrew
There is a significant amount of additional hardware in the cars with lane keeping since it was only available with the radar cruise control and other additions. While anything is possible with enough money, in this case "enough money" is likely over $3,000.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hello, All!

Cheers!

-Andrew
Good new and bad news....

1.) Yes - VDASH you can activate the feature/option to your CEM.

2.) The cost of the parts, as other have said, even if used are still pricey. Plus, since there isn't an accessory guide or installation instructions, you would need to piece it together yourself. The parts are fairly easy to find. Its the wiring that will be a hassle since there are so may sensors involved. Best best would be to find a salvage donor car and take all the sensors and wiring harnesses. Even then, its going to be a challenge as you need everything to "play" together nicely. I think this is one of those times were buying the car with the option would be easier.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hello, All!

Cheers!

-Andrew
Good new and bad news....

1.) Yes - VDASH you can activate the feature/option to your CEM.

2.) The cost of the parts, as other have said, even if used are still pricey. Plus, since there isn't an accessory guide or installation instructions, you would need to piece it together yourself. The parts are fairly easy to find. Its the wiring that will be a hassle since there are so may sensors involved. Best best would be to find a salvage donor car and take all the sensors and wiring harnesses. Even then, its going to be a challenge as you need everything to "play" together nicely. I think this is one of those times were buying the car with the option would be easier.
I believe, but have not double checked, that the front of vehicle wiring harness is also different between vehicles with the lane keeping option package as well; replacing the wiring harness would require tearing apart much of the front of the car so if that's the case then even if the parts aren't expensive if a wrecked car is found as a donor you're still looking at a couple days of labor to do it properly. I think that the windshield sensors are different too, so you'd need to budget replacing the camera pack behind the windshield too I think.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Somewhat related, but how expensive/difficult is adding front park assist? Instructions I found online look like a pain, but doable.

As an off-topic sidenote, I recently rented a Hyundai with LKA and it was actually pretty decent hands-free on the highway for short periods of time. Even took some gentle curves without an issue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As an off-topic sidenote, I recently rented a Hyundai with LKA and it was actually pretty decent hands-free on the highway for short periods of time. Even took some gentle curves without an issue.
I've not experimented much with the lane keeping on my 2016 V60 but I think its more lane departure than lane keeping assistance... I've driven a couple of LKA systems and they actually follow the center of the lane with a relatively frequent adjustment to the steering, on the few occasions I've had to check out the system on the Volvo it seems to just ping pong down the lane using the imminent lane departure as a limiting point rather than actively trying to stay in the center of the lane.

·
Registered
577 Posts
When I was studying the '13s before my purchase, I noticed that there was a variety of sensor packages that lived by the rear view mirror, with custom windshield black borders (is that fritting?) for them.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Hello, All!

Cheers!

-Andrew
Lane keeping aid is annoying. And adding road sign recognition would be expensive, too. Better off using your phone for waze / google maps for speed limits.

·
Registered
735 Posts
When I was studying the '13s before my purchase, I noticed that there was a variety of sensor packages that lived by the rear view mirror, with custom windshield black borders (is that fritting?) for them.
Some of those sensors are for the standard "City Safety" and the rain sensing wipers. I think, but am not certain, that the cars with lane keeping had additional cameras in that housing to support the lane keeping functions.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Some of those sensors are for the standard "City Safety" and the rain sensing wipers. I think, but am not certain, that the cars with lane keeping had additional cameras in that housing to support the lane keeping functions.
I believe a camera also registers the speed limit signs, too?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I believe a camera also registers the speed limit signs, too?
I have not been able to determine whether the speed limit sign camera is only on the radar cruise control cars or not. I know that my 2012 without radar cruise (but with everything else and with City Safety, so it has the cameras) does NOT detect the speed limit signs visually because it lacks the option in the MyCar settings. My 2012 does get speed limit information from the satnav though.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I have not been able to determine whether the speed limit sign camera is only on the radar cruise control cars or not. I know that my 2012 without radar cruise (but with everything else and with City Safety, so it has the cameras) does NOT detect the speed limit signs visually because it lacks the option in the MyCar settings. My 2012 does get speed limit information from the satnav though.
Could be different systems at work now. Old BLIS use to have a camera mounted in the mirror to detect vehicles. I believe BLIS now uses Lidar. SatNav could be providing Speed Limits in the older P2 vehicles. New vehicles don't have it built in. So I believe a camera recognizes speed in P3s onward, if I am correct. Tech of gunshow probably could chime in with more detail.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have been considering the idea of adding lane keeping aid or road sign recognition to the vehicle.
When I get a loaner SPA vehicle, the first thing I disable is "lane keep assist". Though, I do appreciate the road sign recognition because it reminds me to slow down at +10 MPH. :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Could be different systems at work now. Old BLIS use to have a camera mounted in the mirror to detect vehicles. I believe BLIS now uses Lidar. SatNav could be providing Speed Limits in the older P2 vehicles. New vehicles don't have it built in. So I believe a camera recognizes speed in P3s onward, if I am correct. Tech of gunshow probably could chime in with more detail.
My 2012 S60 is a P3 vehicle. It absolutely does not have a camera-based speed sign recognition system in it. I believe that the camera-based speed sign recognition did not appear on the P3 until roughly the same time as the TFT instrument cluster.

And the documentation for Road Sign Information in the manuals says that it is sometimes supplemented by information in the Satnav, so even models with camera recognition use both. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9572/~/road-sign-information-(rsi)

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
My 2012 S60 is a P3 vehicle. It absolutely does not have a camera-based speed sign recognition system in it. I believe that the camera-based speed sign recognition did not appear on the P3 until roughly the same time as the TFT instrument cluster.

And the documentation for Road Sign Information in the manuals says that it is sometimes supplemented by information in the Satnav, so even models with camera recognition use both. https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9572/~/road-sign-information-(rsi)
I do wish my S60 had road sign recognition, but google maps / waze on my phone can always do the same, if I'm in doubt.

Makes sense about SatNav + Camera. In some areas, road signs might not be immediately visible or present.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My '13 with watch dial instrumentation and no satnav recognizes speed limit signs. That's probably a tech package capability but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

The 11-13's can have it, but you need the entire Technology Package to enable it (through VDASH).

·
Registered
735 Posts

The 11-13's can have it, but you need the entire Technology Package to enable it (through VDASH).
Doesn't that require all the additional radar cruise hardware too though?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Doesn't that require all the additional radar cruise hardware too though?
Yes, which is the main part of the Technology Package (ACC and LDW).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts