SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I want to install a backup camera for my 2013 XC60. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this yet (I bet some people have!), but I have a couple of questions.

I have purchased a camera that will replace one of the license plate lights and has an adapter to plug into the back of the video monitor (I believe). I plan to use VDASH to be able to activate the camera function in the car. Is there anything else that I will need?

I am hoping it will be as simple as adding a camera and activating the software with VDASH, but it's never as simple as it seems haha.

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Backup camera is useless. You can't tell how far the car is from the object. It's better to install 4 ultrasonic backup sensor. It increases beeping frequency until a constant beep. Slow to a minimum speed at peak frequency so you don't hit the object by inertia. At the constant beeping, the car is just around 10 cm away from the object. I can back out a super tight spot accurately every single time within a 10cm distance. I installed it because there's a huge F150 parked beside my SUV.

You should drill 4 holes to test it on a cardboard first to make sure the included drill saw is the right size before drilling holes on the rear of car. Also test the object detection while it's on the cardboard. I placed the monitor at the bottom of the car display. I didn't bother to hide the wire inside the trims and just ran the wires on the surface of car interior. My car is 2012 XC60. Don't get the magnetic sensor, it's super unreliable. Get ultrasonic sensor.

it costs just $20.Just google it.

AOSHIKE Car Parktronic Automatic LED Parking Sensor with 4 Sensors Reverse Backup Parking Radar Monitor Detector System Display

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Backup camera is useless. You can't tell how far the car is from the object. It's better to install 4 ultrasonic backup sensor. It increases beeping frequency until a constant beep. Slow to a minimum speed at peak frequency so you don't hit the object by inertia. At the constant beeping, the car is just around 10 cm away from the object. I can back out a super tight spot accurately every single time within a 10cm distance. I installed it because there's a huge F150 parked beside my SUV.

You should drill 4 holes to test it on a cardboard first to make sure the included drill saw is the right size before drilling holes on the rear of car. Also test the object detection while it's on the cardboard. I placed the monitor at the bottom of the car display. I didn't bother to hide the wire inside the trims and just ran the wires on the surface of car interior. My car is 2012 XC60. Don't get the magnetic sensor, it's super unreliable. Get ultrasonic sensor.

it costs just $20.Just google it.

AOSHIKE Car Parktronic Automatic LED Parking Sensor with 4 Sensors Reverse Backup Parking Radar Monitor Detector System Display
Thanks for the input!

I was planning to do both. Still haven’t figured out the camera tech, but do have the sensors I will install.

I think those are really useful too, but the camera can be helpful for hooking up a trailer, seeing around parked cars, etc.

·
Registered
2012 XC60 3.2
23 Posts
Well, you can look around your shoulders plus two side mirrors, and middle rear view mirror. They are at the same level. It's cumbersome to look at one more camera which you have to look down. I still think the back up sensors is sufficient.

This is what the installed sensors look like. They look like factory.
Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts