SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lengthy email thread with Connor @viva (always recommend them, and Connor) I found out that all of the aftermarket exhausts drone at highway speed. After trying to insulate the cabin of my car with not success, and a recent 22 hour road trip with my IPD catback, I have come to the decision to revert to my stock muffler. The problem is, I really really want a nice exhaust note sometimes. I like the sound the IPD delivers at WOT but there isnt enough. There are also videos of some folks with resonator and muffler deletes, which gives the sound i really want.

All this said, I plan to re-install a stock muffler, along with an exhaust cutout. This gives me the option of loud snarling exhuast when i want it, and quiet refined highway cruising when I dont. An exhaust cutout can be had for about $250

I plan to use this thread to pick the forums brain, as well as to document the process.

A few questions:

1. What is the diameter of the oem exhaust piping?

2. What is the diameter of the IPD catback? (I checked their site but couldnt find it)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The OE on the T6 and R-Design is 2.5" OD.
Thanks!

Does anyone know what the IPD diameter is? I emailed IPD and they told me to take it to a muffler shop -_- .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks!

Does anyone know what the IPD diameter is? I emailed IPD and they told me to take it to a muffler shop -_- .
Wow. I'm surprised you even got an answer from IPD by email. A snarky, a assholish answer, but an answer nonetheless.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Subscribing.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Why don't you, um, measure it?
Probably because it’s easier to tap into known info (assuming somebody here already knows the answer) than to jack up and get under a presumably lowered car with a flashlight and a tapemeasure.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So I've been thinking about this too as a very cheap way to reduce back pressure in the hopes of gaining a few extra HP when I "need it." But I've been wondering:

a) Would a cutout would even give me much of a boost at all?
b) Would it confuse the ECM by changing some key variables on-the-fly like that?
c) Or would a cutout just give me some extra noise on demand?

The Dougs Headers part looks ideal. It's precisely what I would have made it I had unlimited free time. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably because it’s easier to tap into known info (assuming somebody here already knows the answer) than to jack up and get under a presumably lowered car with a flashlight and a tapemeasure.
Precisely. If I dont have an answer by tomorrow, i am going to jack it up and check. I guess ill have to do a calculation based off of circumference.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I don't have a good sense of what the S60 exhaust system layout is, but you'll want to make sure the cutout is downstream of any converters and O2 sensors.

Given that, the cutout would only be eliminating the muffler restrictions, not any restrictions due to the cat(s).

I suspect any power gains would be minimal (probably similar to what you'd see from a cat-back system). Boost will not go up because it is controlled, but back pressure might go down a bit.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Precisely. If I dont have an answer by tomorrow, i am going to jack it up and check. I guess ill have to do a calculation based off of circumference.
Get yourself some calipers on Amazon for cheap. A necessary tool in the toolbox.

You don't need to jack the car up. I took this measurement at the bend from the rear.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have a good sense of what the S60 exhaust system layout is, but you'll want to make sure the cutout is downstream of any converters and O2 sensors.

Given that, the cutout would only be eliminating the muffler restrictions, not any restrictions due to the cat(s).

I suspect any power gains would be minimal (probably similar to what you'd see from a cat-back system). Boost will not go up because it is controlled, but back pressure might go down a bit.
I think you are right, based on how the IPD system is, the only realistic place to put it is after the resonator. I think this would provide a bit less restriction and maybe improve spool time. At any rate I doubt it will hurt performance.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Measurement is done. The section of pipe leading from the DP to the muffler has a circumference of about 8 inches. That puts it at 2.5. A 3 inch section would have a circumference of about 9.5 inches.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd be surprised if it was 2.5". Sweden is on the metric system, though Ford in the UK who I believe built the engine may not be.

And from the picture I wouldn't take a measurement on the bend as the cross-section can change due to the bend.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd be surprised if it was 2.5". Sweden is on the metric system, though Ford in the UK who I believe built the engine may not be.

And from the picture I wouldn't take a measurement on the bend as the cross-section can change due to the bend.
I took the measurement at the straight section behind the resonator, also this is the IPD exhuast not the OEM volvo.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a qoute from the local performance shop to install the cutout. They wanted to weld up a custom flange etc rather than use the one Quick time offers. Their price Including parts ~1100 bucks and early april.

I also got a quote from the local muffler guy. He quoted 75 bucks in labor and i provide the parts. Parts are roughly $310 he can also do it next friday. The only downside, is that i am assuming he isnt wiring it up for me. I am willing to wire everything up to save 700 dollars.

That said, this is the module ive ordered: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-10900 It lets me control the cutout with the keyfob remote.

The plan (and this is where i need help) Is to locate the module somewhere in the trunk, and route a wire to the cutout which will be somewhere behind the resonator. I have aftermarket amplifiers in the trunk, so power and ground are already present.

Is there a good place in the trunk to drill a hole for a wire that will be easily used for something like this? I know the Rear diff and muffler occupy space under the trunk, i dont know if there is an easy spot.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The plan (and this is where i need help) Is to locate the module somewhere in the trunk, and route a wire to the cutout which will be somewhere behind the resonator. I have aftermarket amplifiers in the trunk, so power and ground are already present.

Is there a good place in the trunk to drill a hole for a wire that will be easily used for something like this? I know the Rear diff and muffler occupy space under the trunk, i dont know if there is an easy spot.

Has ANYONE dropped a wire from the trunk?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Has ANYONE dropped a wire from the trunk?
The only easy to reach holes that I can think of are the ones for the hitch wiring and for the rear parking assistance sensors BUT they are both orientated towards the back of the car.
There must be some more centrally located ones for the fuel and Haldex pumps. Looking under the rear seat might reveal them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only easy to reach holes that I can think of are the ones for the hitch wiring and for the rear parking assistance sensors BUT they are both orientated towards the back of the car.
There must be some more centrally located ones for the fuel and Haldex pumps. Looking under the rear seat might reveal them.
I am fine with drilling a hole, I just need to know where.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts