SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here found a way to add a dash cam to their 60-series vehicle by tapping into the power from the rear-view mirror/camera module on the top of the windshield?

I'd like to add a dash cam to my car without having to run wires down the A-pillar trim or similar tricks ...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've installed a dashcam and hardwired it down the A-pillar. It is not that hard to do... the frustrating bit is removing the fusebox cover

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,081 Posts
I have the exact same set-up as @visualv in my V90CC. I have a 2-channel set-up with the front cam being mounted (stuck on) the Intellisafe black (plastic) box and the wiring going into the box, through the headliner to the A-Pillar and finally into the passenger side fuse box. I cannot comment on the ease or complexity of doing this as I had it installed professionally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not in a Volvo but I wired one down to the fusebox. Much better IMO to not splice into any of the existing harnesses until after a warranty is up, just in case of any pushback if you were to have electrical issues going forward. I've helped a few friends with theirs too and every car tried so far has been pretty easy to tuck wires invisibly along the windshield and A-pillar seam behind the edges of the headliner and interior trim shapes. The most destructive thing I've ever done (on my own car) was carefully Xacto-cutting a small notch out of one edge of an internal plastic trim piece (not visible when trim was snapped back into position) so as the wiring transitioned right into the fusebox itself it was not being pinched.

FYI if you haven't purchased the dashcam yet already strongly suggest in TX you find one with a supercapacitor NOT a battery. Mine's survived the TX heat for 3.8 years and is going strong. Street Guardian is a pretty good brand - not cheap, but well engineered considering the usual Dashcam range of quality, and well supported. The supercap charges inside of 5 seconds when you power on your ignition, and takes enough time to drain out when ignition turns off the camera senses the drop and wraps up the current recording segment just fine. The only downside is that if you wanted some sort of parked standby mode (cam pops on and captures brief video if vehicle motion is sensed while wired power is off) that function is unavaialable on supercaps vs. batteries. dashcamtalk.com is a good resource for reviews and discussions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts