SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've recently purchased an 2015.5 Premier Plus XC60 with Tech, BLIS, Nav. Sensus Connect with Real Traffic Information and Sport Package (Sport Seats & 20"Titania II Alloy Rims). When I purchased the car I read on the internet that the car comes with dTPMS but in fact it didn't. I have asked Volvo Canada and they confirmed that it doesn't come with it. The fact that it says on the Owner Manual that it comes with it was just a publication error.

I asked different dealers and they said that it is not possible to be added to Canadian XC60 cars.

It is not true. I have added this Saturday and it works .

If you want to add dTPMS system to your XC60 it is possible. This is what you need to do:

1. You go to Volvo a dealer (for Canadians close to Hamilton I recommend Volvo of Hamilton - they have better prices and they are wonderful people) and asks to install in your car (through Vida Dice) the dTPMS software P/N 30756857. (Cost $27.55+tax and 1hour labour charge );
There is another option available for you the iTPMS (Indirect system without sensors); I choose with sensors since iTPMS it is not so accurate);

2. You need to purchase a TPMS Sensor kit P/N 31414189. Initial cost $327.29 discounted at $285+tax by Volvo of Hamilton.
3. Installation of the TPMS sensors $129 initially discounted at $80+tax by Volvo of Hamilton.
4. Requested the tires to be inflated at 38PSi for winter season.
4. There is no need for calibration of TPMS sensors. The sensors calibrate automatically once the car is running. You will have as well calibration option on MyCar/Tire Pressure Monitor Menu.

The sensors are all communicating with the centre door look modules (one located at the back and one at the front). I've been told that in order to activate dTPMS for Canadian XC60cars there is wiring involved and I need to purchase the TPMS modules that communicate with sensors. It is not true, in fact it is very easy.

I will post soon some pictures.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My only question is why?

The whole reason Volvo doesn't offer the TPMS in Canada is because our dramatic changes in temperature like to make people go crazy over their TPMS's constantly saying under inflated etc.

In the winter I check my tires once a week, or if there is more then a 10*C change in temperature.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had the ABS-based TPMS system on my last car and while it saved my behind getting back to where I could replace the tire, something like 400-odd miles, its not that accurate. Wide temperature swings will cause tire pressures to increase and decrease beyond acceptable levels. An ABS-based system won't pick that up while a sensor based system will. ABS systems are cheaper and cause fewer service headaches at dealers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mcmanus,

I have dTPMS on my Toyota since 2010 when I brought the car. We had really hard winters since but never have problems with them.

The Volvo rims (Titania II) are very expensive. I have one set for winter one set for summer. If you suddenly have flat tire without dTPMS by the time you realise that you will damage the rim surely.

Azlkk, you are correct I had indirect TPMS system on my previous VW Jetta and never light up on the winter due to temperature drops. However I still have dTPMS on my 2010 Sienna and never light up due to temperature drops as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you fill them with nitrogen, the temps will not vary the pressure. After several years of winter driving plus storage, my last set on my previous vehicle kept their psi year after year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I've recently purchased an 2015.5 Premier Plus XC60 with Tech, BLIS, Nav. Sensus Connect with Real Traffic Information and Sport Package (Sport Seats & 20"Titania II Alloy Rims). When I purchased the car I read on the internet that the car comes with dTPMS but in fact it didn't. I have asked Volvo Canada and they confirmed that it doesn't come with it. The fact that it says on the Owner Manual that it comes with it was just a publication error.

I asked different dealers and they said that it is not possible to be added to Canadian XC60 cars.

It is not true. I have added this Saturday and it works .

If you want to add dTPMS system to your XC60 it is possible. This is what you need to do:

1. You go to Volvo a dealer (for Canadians close to Hamilton I recommend Volvo of Hamilton - they have better prices and they are wonderful people) and asks to install in your car (through Vida Dice) the dTPMS software P/N 30756857. (Cost $27.55+tax and 1hour labour charge );
There is another option available for you the iTPMS (Indirect system without sensors); I choose with sensors since iTPMS it is not so accurate);

2. You need to purchase a TPMS Sensor kit P/N 31414189. Initial cost $327.29 discounted at $285+tax by Volvo of Hamilton.
3. Installation of the TPMS sensors $129 initially discounted at $80+tax by Volvo of Hamilton.
4. Requested the tires to be inflated at 38PSi for winter season.
4. There is no need for calibration of TPMS sensors. The sensors calibrate automatically once the car is running. You will have as well calibration option on MyCar/Tire Pressure Monitor Menu.

The sensors are all communicating with the centre door look modules (one located at the back and one at the front). I've been told that in order to activate dTPMS for Canadian XC60cars there is wiring involved and I need to purchase the TPMS modules that communicate with sensors. It is not true, in fact it is very easy.

I will post soon some pictures.
Thanks.

Do you know if the itpms system is simply a software flash? Is there a part number for it?

Answered my own question: iTPMS part no is 31435510

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iTPMS P/N: 31435510
It is just a software update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So dealer was unable to do the itpms flash. They said this is a European part no and the regional server settings would not let them flash it.

Anyone actually flashed this onto a Canadian car?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I flashed my dTPMS I have been in shop with Volvo technician and I have seen two software available for TPMS.
I have installed the dTPMS because this is what I wanted.

Where were you about? I am pretty sure the other one was tire monitor software .

I did the software flash at Volvo of Waterloo, ON and the rest at Volvo of Hamilton. What year is your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I flashed my dTPMS I have been in shop with Volvo technician and I have seen two software available for TPMS.
I have installed the dTPMS because this is what I wanted.

Where were you about? I am pretty sure the other one was tire monitor software .

I did the software flash at Volvo of Waterloo, ON and the rest at Volvo of Hamilton. What year is your car?
Coincidentally I was at Volvo Hamilton today for this and the polestar update. My car is a 2015.5 T6 AWD. Dealer didn't have a clue on this and claimed european part numbers could not be pulled on a Canadian car. I'm pretty sure it's doable with some ingenuity.

I did also notice that the iTPMS part was not listed on the Canadian accessories site whereas it's listed on the European site so there may be some truth to this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My only question is why?

The whole reason Volvo doesn't offer the TPMS in Canada is because our dramatic changes in temperature like to make people go crazy over their TPMS's constantly saying under inflated etc.

In the winter I check my tires once a week, or if there is more then a 10*C change in temperature.
I have a hard time understanding this logic. Our weather isn't much different. Or any Great Lake state.

It's not like the weather gods change everything up the minute the elements cross the border at Windsor.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As I promised at the beginning of this thread I am adding some pictures.

TPMS Software Installation

Software in , no TPMS sensors yet installed into the wheels

TPMS Light ON

TPMS Sensors Installation

Software reading the sensors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts