SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base model that didn't include the radio buttons on the steering wheel, or the trip computer that tells you your mpg and so on.

Does anyone if it is possible to add these on? I'm assuming I'd have to get the buttons, harness, and then do a software flash. Or is the harness already there?

I installed fog lights and will be probably going to the dealer to get that software installed, so I'd like to package it all together if I can.

Does anyone have experience with adding these options on after build?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Harness is in place for all these items.
Radio buttons are the easiest/cheapest. Install buttons & they work, no software required. Several of us have done this.
Trip computer requires a new stalk with the switch. Cheap & simple BUT Volvo charges a pretty penny for the software. Last I checked ~$350.
You already know about the fog lamps.

Seems pricing isn't based on any kind of reality except what people are willing to pay for certain options originally. Kind of like airline tickets. :)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you have a PN for the stalk? Can't find it. And it's just one new stalk right, you don't have to change them both out?

EDIT: found it. PN is 8637377 and you only have to change out the turn signal stalk.

Now to call around for CAN upgrade, fogs, and trip computer software from dealers.

Maybe it's better to get a VIDA subscription to download software for the 3 day pass.

Has anyone downloaded software from their cracked VIDA with the Volvo Tech subscription like this recently here?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you have a PN for the stalk? Can't find it. And it's just one new stalk right, you don't have to change them both out?

EDIT: found it. PN is 8637377 and you only have to change out the turn signal stalk.

Now to call around for CAN upgrade, fogs, and trip computer software from dealers.

Maybe it's better to get a VIDA subscription to download software for the 3 day pass.

Has anyone downloaded software from their cracked VIDA with the Volvo Tech subscription like this recently here?
If you attempt a shot at it, please let us know how it goes. I figure I am going to need some updates for my V50 when I'm ready, but I might also need a few things for a XC70 that I'm working on, and would like to try and grab all the updates at once if possible. I've heard mixed things about it being possible, although if you can download the units with a purchased 3 day subscription, I would hope that there isn't a secondary authentication required for the unit to auctually push the update to the car.

Guess it all depends on the quote that you receive.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PM'd mercdude.

And PPGFlyer775, I think I'm leaning towards doing the self install just to do it, not hassle with Volvo, and may help a friend do a software download as well.

I'm very comfortable with it all, except for the battery. Looks like you need to keep the battery in tight tolerances to have it work. So, I'm looking for a way to charge the battery at a constant level so it doesn't dip during delivery and fry.

I was reading up here:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?23608-VIDA-Software-update-bought-online/page3

·
Registered
113 Posts
PM'd mercdude.

And PPGFlyer775, I think I'm leaning towards doing the self install just to do it, not hassle with Volvo, and may help a friend do a software download as well.

I'm very comfortable with it all, except for the battery. Looks like you need to keep the battery in tight tolerances to have it work. So, I'm looking for a way to charge the battery at a constant level so it doesn't dip during delivery and fry.

I was reading up here:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?23608-VIDA-Software-update-bought-online/page3
That's what I would do.... I have a few trickle chargers that have some different settings depending on the battery being charged. I'm pretty sure putting a halfway decent charger on the car prior to starting would keep voltage within range!

Good luck!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a tutorial on how to add the steering wheel radio buttons? Or could someone quickly run me through it? I feel like it's gotta be easy, but can't find any documentation on it.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Easy, pull the pad/airbag & use your favorite pry tool. Steering wheel sticky has pics & some info.

Your software list is from 2009 & it looks like a misprint as well. Current I don't believe you'll get any discount on software. Fogs are still cheap though.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just installed the new buttons. Thanks! I'll keep everyone updated about the software route I take. Mercdude was nice enough to send me a stalk which was perfect!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.