SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well installed the mirrors and got the software download it they work like a charm. Thanks R.Kelly.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Cool! Im thinking i need this, as i frequently park at the airport.....at least thats how i could justify it to my wife....<br>Did you get the "kit" from Rkelley or from John at Boston Volvo? Did you install them yourself? If so, how long did it take?<br>Thanks!

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (rgrove)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rgrove</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool! Im thinking i need this, as i frequently park at the airport.....at least thats how i could justify it to my wife....<br>Did you get the "kit" from Rkelley or from John at Boston Volvo? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>He had already purchased the kit from me when John posted he could get them. Definitely want to contact John because he can get them about $100 cheaper. But make sure your dealer knows how to download the software, every dealer can, but some don't know how.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: ("R" Kelly)

Oh by the way my car already had the pink wire installed. Here's the steps that I had to do to replace the mirrors.<p>1. Take off leather plate that attaches to handle using a bone tool<br>2. Remove the two screws in the handle<br>3. Pop the center's out of the fasterners that are holding the door on around the entire door<br>4. Pop the inside black mirror cover that looks like a triangle with bone tool<br>5. Grab door and lift upwards off the lip of the window enough that all connections are still connected but that you can get back to the power window connector.<br>6. Unplug the power window connector and put panel back on door temporarily<br>7. Use a socket and remove the nut that holds the power mirror housing onto the car<br>8. Pull the mirror housing off the car and fish the wiring harness through the factory cutout<br>9. Grab your new mirrors and insert it just as the old one came out. <br>10. Tighten the nut and attach to wiring harness<br>11. Reinstall door as you took it off by screwing in the screws and popping the pop connectors back out and then installing them and popping in the centers until they are flush.<br>12. Grab your old power mirror and use the bone tool to pop the paint colored cover off and reinstall it on your new mirror housing<br>13. Pop the mirror glass off the old mirror with bone tool and your hand and reinsert it the same way you pulled the old one off<p>Repeat other side<p>1. (This will be different from MY04 to MY05 and up)<br>2. Remove what is necessary to get to the climate control unit.<br>3. Push the tabs to get the factory 3 button blank cover out.<br>4. Insert the new button in the location that you desire<br>5. Insert the blank buttons in unused spaces<br>6. Reinsert the new 7 button blank cover <br>7. Reassemble the climate control unit per your MY car.<p>Go to your dealer and ask for software part number 8633766<p>For me it was $76.00 later and they work!!<br><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by slowrey at 11:29 AM 5-14-2006</i>

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When you say you had the pink wire already installed, what does that refer to? Did you already have the button on the center console, or did you have to add that as well?<br>Thanks for the great write up....

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Kelly's kit came with the pink wire for both sides to install, however, I didn't have to use that because my car factory harness already had the pink wire in the harness. I think it's pin 14. You can look at your harness to determine whether or not it already has a pink wire in position 14. <p>What I had to get ordered were:<p>Both power mirrors<br>7 position cover plate<br>button covers (will depend on how many you need)<br>Power folding mirror button

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Re: (slowrey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>slowrey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh by the way my car already had the pink wire installed. Here's the steps that I had to do to replace the mirrors.<p>1. Take off leather plate that attaches to handle using a bone tool<br>2. Remove the two screws in the handle<br>3. Pop the center's out of the fasterners that are holding the door on around the entire door<br>4. Pop the inside black mirror cover that looks like a triangle with bone tool<br>5. Grab door and lift upwards off the lip of the window enough that all connections are still connected but that you can get back to the power window connector.<br>6. Unplug the power window connector and put panel back on door temporarily<br>7. Use a socket and remove the nut that holds the power mirror housing onto the car<br>8. Pull the mirror housing off the car and fish the wiring harness through the factory cutout<br>9. Grab your new mirrors and insert it just as the old one came out. <br>10. Tighten the nut and attach to wiring harness<br>11. Reinstall door as you took it off by screwing in the screws and popping the pop connectors back out and then installing them and popping in the centers until they are flush.<br>12. Grab your old power mirror and use the bone tool to pop the paint colored cover off and reinstall it on your new mirror housing<br>13. Pop the mirror glass off the old mirror with bone tool and your hand and reinsert it the same way you pulled the old one off<p>Repeat other side<p>1. (This will be different from MY04 to MY05 and up)<br>2. Remove what is necessary to get to the climate control unit.<br>3. Push the tabs to get the factory 3 button blank cover out.<br>4. Insert the new button in the location that you desire<br>5. Insert the blank buttons in unused spaces<br>6. Reinsert the new 7 button blank cover <br>7. Reassemble the climate control unit per your MY car.<p>Go to your dealer and ask for software part number 8633766<p>For me it was $76.00 later and they work!!<p><i>Modified by slowrey at 11:29 AM 5-14-2006</i></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Can you give more detail on the climate control section? Did you actually have to remove the CCM or does the cover just pop off?<p>My dealer claims that "8633766" is "just a generic part number for any software download" so they "took note of it, but we have to check with volvo to see if your car is 'configured for it'"<p>Sigh. Hopefully they'll come through on this, otherwise I need to find another dealer.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the MY 04 it's REALLY easy:<p>1. Use weather strip tool to pop pen holder out. Pull straight out on both sides.<br>2. Remove two screws on the bottom that hold the climate control until in place.<br>3. Put the car in gear while turned off.<br>4. Pull CCU out on the bottom 1 inch and then pull the top down and then out.<br>5. Flip the CCU over and there will be three little tabs that hold the 3 cover face plate in, depress them and remove<br>6. Insert all the CCU back in and everything else except for your button, button blanks and 7 position cover.<br>7. Figure out where you actually want to put the button and install the blanks in the empty slots<br>8. Snap in the 7 position button cover<br>9. Take to the dealer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: (partridge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>partridge</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...My dealer claims that "8633766" is "just a generic part number for any software download" so they "took note of it, but we have to check with volvo to see if your car is 'configured for it...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>This software downoad part number is only for an S60 (only) with memory seats/mirrors. I'm not comfortable with part numbers of any kind being posted as they might not be applicable for another Volvo.<p>John<p>

·
Registered
824 Posts
Re: (Parts @ Boston Volvo)

Amazing the different responses you get from dealer to dealer...and prices too!<p>My dealer had that PN in the computer for the S60 and that is what is on my service receipt, you will be fine<br>Danny.<p>

·
Registered
256 Posts

It's a tad bit more difficult on my 2005. It looks like Volvo switched over to the cheap fastener pins that don't have the "pop-out" centers. Is it possible to remove the fasteners without destroying them as I did in a previous car?<p>Also, for anyone trying to do this, make sure whoever supplies your parts checks against your chassis code as there are two switch cover panels that were used for the '05 models and I initially got the wrong one.<p>Thanks,<p>George

·
Registered
256 Posts

I think i'll wait until I go to the dealership tomorrow to find out the best way to remove them without messing anything up and pick up extras if they will be destroyed in the removal process. It's always something.<p>George<p>p.s. Sean, how long does it take for the mirrors to fold?

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: (ghodge)

I got mine from John (boston volvo - thanks John!) last week and am planning on tackling this job this weekend. Question: Do the side mirrors still work without the software, ie can I move the mirrors up-down-in-out to adjust them? The software p/n is just to make the mirros fold right? I don't want to be driving around with mirrors I can't adjust.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: (mike_c70)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mike_c70</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...Do the side mirrors still work without the software?...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You're quite welcome!<p>The software is for the folding option and illumination (the "puddle" lamps).<p>John<p>

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>slowrey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting! Pop out fasteners. That's crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You want crazy? Try this conversation with the parts counter guy today:<p>Me: I'd like a bone tool and some of the trunk liner fasteners.<br>Parts: A bone tool? You mean the little white plastic thing?<br>Me: Yes.<br>Parts: I'm sorry, but I have no way of ordering proprietary tools.<p>!!!!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Re: (pie_ya)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>pie_ya</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure you know that IPD sells the proprietary bone tool.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yup. Don't want to wait for the mail, so I just made one. Not that hard.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: (partridge)

OK finally installed my mirrors yesterday. Spent 2+ hours on the first one, aside from being caught off guard with touque screw in the door handle, I couldn't figure out how to remove the painted cover and the reflector, as they were not shown in the instruction. But I finally figured them out after studying the the new unit carefully. 2nd mirror only took 20 minutes. Pink wire is already in my door harness, so that saved a little time. But why can't they just use philip screws like everyone else?<p>Question: I didn't pay attention how the two wires were connected on the reflector itself, so I am not sure if I plugged them back on the right terminals. Does anyone know if the two terminals have + or - designation? does it matter if the wires are connected backwards?<br>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts