SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way too add Nav to a car that did not have it from the factory?

Does it only need the center screen/unit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-Volvo...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2a21bb4a44&vxp=mtr

or more?

Also, where do you guys get all the parts diagrams and lists, I'd like to see what's involved. The look of a suction cup and a garmin unit is not really appealing so I'm trying to see if I can get a better option.
Maybe custom fitting a screen into the OEM center grill/screen holder and adding Garmin GVn53 would be the cheapest.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I'm not 100% certain on this, but...
To answer your question, you'll need a new steering wheel with the button controls on the back, you'll need to do some wiring to get the power supply to the GPS, and you'll most likely need some software to get the car to accept it all.

So $300 for the factory GPS, plus everything else... Custom is definitely the way to go. You can get the latest and greatest GPS that way too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but it looks out of place.

I was thinking a 6.5" screen inside the factory spot (motorized) and plug a Garmin GVN53 to this, no button or factory integration.

Might be a good in between solution.

Where do I get all parts diagrams? Dice?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Oh, I like the idea of integrating an aftermarket GPS into the factory GPS unit. I must have misunderstood what you were saying (I was thinking you wanted to put it into the waterfall).

I still say, just be creative! You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a factory look.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I (will) have dynaudio, so I don't want to mess much of the dash.

the largest Garmin is 5", we're close to the 6.5" of the factory one, maybe I could put a removeable Garmin inside the factory spot. Only problem is the motorized/switches part.. I could maybe hard wire a switch somewhere just for the pop up/down.

I could remvoe my garmin and take it with me.. and update when a better model comes out. The GVN53 is too old it doesn,t have half of my 3490.

Still looking for how to get detailed parts diagrams. Trying to learn about dice/vida, what do I need to have complete parts diagrams with part numebrs?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
This wheel will have the hole/cover plate at the switch location but NOT the switch itself. Yes, I believe that most if not all wiring is already in place.

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Volvo Navigation is not even worth it. My car has it and the only times I opened it up was to show off to my friends. I use my phone as navigation since that has live traffics and most up to date map. My Volvo navigation has maps on a CD and I'd have to pay a large sum just to get the newest CD. You better off going with after market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts