SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '01 S60 owners manual states that the (transmission) system also monitors your particular driving style and adapts gear shifting accordingly.<br>What does all that mean? My driving style is dictated by short trips in traffic from one store to another, or easing down the NJ Turnpike with the traffic flow. In the first case there is no opportunity to be aggressive with acceleration, and in the second the trans is in top gear all the way with no downshifts. <p>So what aspect of transmission behavior does it adjust?<br>Firmness of engagement?<br>Upshift points?<br>Downshift points?<br>Max speed in gears?<br>Torque limiting in 1st gear?<br>How long does it take to adjust whatever it adjusts? One full throttle blast or a day's worth?<p>Or does it adjust itself so as to discourage me from driving aggressivly?<br>Their statement is one that makes the reader feel better but conveys no information whatsoever!<br>-- Maya Gold<br>

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Re: Adaptive Transmission? (Maya Gold)

This is just my guess:<p>Firmness of engagement? --- No, always the same.<br>Upshift points? --- Changes, yes<br>Downshift points? --- Changes, yes<br>Max speed in gears? --- Changes, yes<br>Torque limiting in 1st gear? --- No, always the same.<p>How long does it take to adjust whatever it adjusts? --- I have heard that it takes about 20 minutes of aggressive driving to change, but I am not sure.<p>Or does it adjust itself so as to discourage me from driving aggressivly? --- No!<p>Their statement is one that makes the reader feel better but conveys no information whatsoever! --- I agree with you on this one.<p>-Drew<br>

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Adaptive Transmission? ([email protected])

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><p>How long does it take to adjust whatever it adjusts? --- I have heard that it takes about 20 minutes of aggressive driving to change, but I am not sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Actually it will take a lot less than 20 minutes...and if you drive very conservatively, within 5 minutes or so it will shorten the shifts...<p>Yannis

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Adaptive Transmission? (GrecianVolvo)

It will take a few weeks before it fully adapts to the driver.<br>When the famous GT problems occur Volvo thinks it can fool their customers by resetting the adaptive functions, probably factory policy and most dealers can't help it.<br>Problems reoccur after 1 to 2 weeks average.....<BR><BR>
[Modified by Johann, 6:52 AM 12-11-2002]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Re: Adaptive Transmission? (Johann)

So from what I am hearing, it totally depends on the driver and how they drive the car. I guess it is not really an easy question to answer unless you talk to the person who designed the software that adapts the tranny.<p>-Drew

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Adaptive Transmission? (Johann)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It will take a few weeks before it fully adapts to the driver.<br><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>No it will not. I have tried with many different cars and, at least, the timing of the shifting changes only after driven for a few miles...<p>Yannis

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

OK, if you say so.<p>Ask all the guys in Europe who had their GT'S REPLACED...<p>There is an adaptive "pre learning" procedure which takes an hour or for a mechanic to complete which should make the box behave better after a reset.<br>After a one to two weeks you're back to square one so it is probably distance related<p>Regards,<p>/Johann, ex GT Lemon owner. <br>

·
Registered
728 Posts

I'm tempted to believe Yannis.<p>I have some technical documents from Peugeot about their auto-adaptive transmission and its behaviour (selects from about 6 different gearbox "laws").<p>In normal mode, the transmission is auto-adaptive, that is, it tries to shift according to your driving pattern. It considers the vehicle load, road gradient and surface, the speed of accelerator actuation and other factors such as gearbox oil temperature and engine temperature. The computer creates an identikit portrait of the driver within a minute, considering the speed of the car, the number of times and the speed at which the driver presses the accelerator (and its position) - this is a very auto adaptive gearbox I have to say, amazingly sporty when you need it to be (feels like a manual with the way its torque converter locks up, giving magnificent engine braking, albeit at the cost of a little drivetrain shunt).<p>I don't see why the gearbox needs ages to learn - all it's doing is trying to match your behaviour with a set of predetermined shift programs - it's not really learning in that sense.<p>Cheers,<p>Justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts