SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else use their adaptive cruise and/or Pilot Assist in slow moving traffic? I do and it works fine, but my dealer scolded me for doing it (traffic in the DC area is slow as hell during rush hour!). I called and told them that when I’m using it in such traffic, when I slow down and have to turn it back on using the + sign button on my steering wheel because it times out, it speeds up then the power drops down to nothing, then quickly speeds up again. It’s very unsafe and causes the cars behind me to have to slow down real quick because they think I’m taking off, when in fact it’s the vehicle speeding up, dropping power, then speeding up again. The dealer wouldn’t do anything for me and told me to stop using it in slow/stopped traffic and I wouldn’t have to worry about the issue anymore. Anyone have the same issue? Or agree with the dealership? I always feel like the dealership blames me for issues and not the car.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What is the cruise speed you saved? If it is much higher than road traffic, you could see it speeds up fast till getting close to front car.
If it is similar, then it is usually fine. Also increase distance/interval to follow to 4 or at least 3, it should help.

My personal opinion is driver should always control the acceleration, and car just maintains speed and distance, doesn't remember a pre-set speed that is irrelevant anyways.
But this is not to be implemented. Everyone is still in the old constant speed cruise control mindset.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the vehicle has the ability to drive at low speed and behavior poorly. This shouldn't be ignored. It's like having Navigation and the software bugs out. So you're out of the feature?
Don't let that individual bully you into thinking it's your fault. You have warranty. Use it.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Also need to pay attention to stop sign. The car in front moves on when you are getting to the stop sign. PA will keep moving and not stop, you must apply brake to stop.
Same thing for yellow traffic light. Very easy to miss this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Poppycock, I use it in full bumper to bumper traffic without issue...I do find the acceleration when an obviously fleeting gap opens up to be annoyingly aggressive at times, but not dangerously so.

That being said FWIW, remember that the adaptive cruise cannot apply 100% brakes, and so it can theoretically rear end a fast stopping vehicle if you're not paying attention and ready to intercede.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Poppycock, I use it in full bumper to bumper traffic without issue...I do find the acceleration when an
obviously fleeting gap opens up to be annoyingly aggressive at times, but not dangerously so.

That being said FWIW, remember that the adaptive cruise cannot apply 100% brakes, and so it can theoretically rear end a fast stopping vehicle if you're not paying attention and ready to intercede.
Yep. Same here. I use mine in stop and go traffic all the time. Like you mentioned it’s important to pay attention but it saves my sanity.

·
Registered
411 Posts
use it on 295 on my way home in bumper to bumper traffic by NSA.....never had any issues thus far with it.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
While I also have had no issues when using PA in stop and go traffic I do note that in the manual it says:

WARNING
This is not a collision avoidance system. The driver is always responsible and must intervene if the system fails to detect a vehicle ahead.

The function does not brake for people or animals and does not brake for small vehicles, such as bikes and motorcycles. Similarly, it does not brake for low trailers, oncoming, slow-moving or stationary vehicles and objects.

Do not use the function in demanding situations, such as in city traffic, at intersections, on slippery surfaces, with a lot of water or slush on the road, in heavy rain/snow, in poor visibility, on winding roads, or on on/off ramps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Like others I use it all the time in this type of situation. In fact this is when it's most useful to me.

The dealer is just trying to get rid of you without addressing it. Don't let him.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
PA also responds differently depending on the drive mode you’ve selected. If you’re in dynamic mode, PA will be more aggressive; in eco mode, PA will respond a little smoother/less abrupt.

When I’m in stop and go traffic I have my drive mode set to either eco or comfort for that reason—it just provides a smoother experience.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I use it 90% of the time. Can't stand driving without it now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
PA also responds differently depending on the drive mode you’ve selected. If you’re in dynamic mode, PA will be more aggressive; in eco mode, PA will respond a little smoother/less abrupt.

When I’m in stop and go traffic I have my drive mode set to either eco or comfort for that reason—it just provides a smoother experience.
What Dubya wrote above is what I was going to comment. The Drive Mode setting affects ACC/PA.

I use Pilot Assist almost daily, and often in heavy stop and go traffic. ECO Drive Mode is the smoothest for both acceleration and braking so it is very gentle. Inversely, Dynamic Mode is a more aggressive for both.

I am always (safely) playing with the ACC speed and follow distance settings in this type of traffic which I have on my daily commute. I have driven these same highways for 25yrs with manual shift cars, so now this passes my time in stop and go traffic.

I wonder if you are speaking about T8 specific power levels conditions? I don't have a T8 so I am not familiar.

I recently saw a Honda TV commercial showing how new Hondas can stop to avoid static objects, which current Volvos cannot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a T8 and I always put PA on in stop-and-go (basically every day). It certainly diminishes my road rage. I’ve used it in hybrid, pure, and power modes and I will say that acceleration is less aggressive and deceleration starts sooner (more conservative) in pure mode (I assume it’s trying to be battery efficient). But I don’t get the behaviors that the OP described in any mode. My biggest (and still minor) annoyance with PA is that it will slow the car way down and wait too long to start to accelerate when a car immediately in front of me makes a 90 degree turn. More so than if the car in front had stopped and restarted forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Poppycock, I use it in full bumper to bumper traffic without issue...
+1.

I use ACC a lot even locally where there are unrestricted traffic controls - not where there are lots of traffic lights and stop signs.

I will use ACC in stop and go initially but I may eventually turn it off depending on the scenario.

As far as PA2, I use it on the open road when there is no significant inclement weather or adverse road conditions.

Common sense, prudent and reasonable driving under local conditions seem obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use PA when in stop and go traffic and find it really useful. I set the distance to the car ahead at middle to long distance to give me time to take control if need be. but have never come close to needing it unless somebody cuts in too quickly.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
1. I use it all the time in all sorts of traffic
2. My following distance is usually set at "3", and occasionally at "4"
3. My cruise speed is set based on conditions (in stop and go it's usually about 25-30 if we never get to move faster than that)
4. Never had an issue with it accelerating too fast, if anything, it takes its sweet time catching up to the other car from a stop/slow roll

·
Registered
98 Posts
A little off topic but I seem to get more agitated with the adaptive cruse on. Cars pass me on the right and then cut in front of me because of the safe space maintained between cars. I find myself accelerating just to not let people cut in. Then I end up taking it off all together.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
A little off topic but I seem to get more agitated with the adaptive cruse on. Cars pass me on the right and then cut in front of me because of the safe space maintained between cars. I find myself accelerating just to not let people cut in. Then I end up taking it off all together.
I occasionally set the time/space setting to two in those cases. Otherwise, I have it on 3 or 4.

Although it can be irritating as far as cars cutting in at level “2”, I figure they will arrive at their own accident ahead of me. Life is too short to get agitated, but that’s my perspective even more so now. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone else use their adaptive cruise and/or Pilot Assist in slow moving traffic? I do and it works fine, but my dealer scolded me for doing it (traffic in the DC area is slow as hell during rush hour!). I called and told them that when I’m using it in such traffic, when I slow down and have to turn it back on using the + sign button on my steering wheel because it times out, it speeds up then the power drops down to nothing, then quickly speeds up again. It’s very unsafe and causes the cars behind me to have to slow down real quick because they think I’m taking off, when in fact it’s the vehicle speeding up, dropping power, then speeding up again. The dealer wouldn’t do anything for me and told me to stop using it in slow/stopped traffic and I wouldn’t have to worry about the issue anymore. Anyone have the same issue? Or agree with the dealership? I always feel like the dealership blames me for issues and not the car.
If you are in economy mode, it should accelerate more slowly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use Pilot Assist in NYC traffic all the time and it works great.

Set PA when you release the brake as traffic moves, and it should set to 15-20 mph. Leave the speed alone, and set the follow distance at 2 bars to avoid abrupt braking and accelerating. Just have to keep an eye out for people cutting in.

If I come to a complete stop, I have to tap the gas pedal to begin moving forward again, which ensures that I'm paying attention. But PA stays engaged, unless I apply the brake.

@jyanosh
I'm not sure I understood the condition in the original post - it "times out"? I've never experienced anything of the sort. It will moan about "apply steering" or "driver override" from time to time, but it shouldn't just turn itself off otherwise.
Also, your service adviser sounds like a dismissive prick. Ask for another maybe?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts