SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the S90 will have a new type: "One of these is Pilot Assist, a semi-autonomous driving feature that’s a sort of hybrid of lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control, only the system requires no car to follow behind in order to function." So my question is, the current XC90 does not have this? What, you have to follow behind another car for it to work??

·
Registered
152 Posts
pilot jam assist, is what the current XC90 have right now. Limited to 50km/h, must have good lane marks, a car infront to follow, steers for you, with occasional touch to steering wheel to remind the car you're still alive.

The new feature is updated to 130km/h in the new S90, with no car required to follow, and car aiming to centre itself between lane marks. I'm waiting for Volvo to officially confirm the new feature for next year XC90, or backdating the feature on already sold XC90s.

You still have really good ACC, for any speed, with Lane Keeping aid active from 65km/h. All these are general knowledge I don't own XC90.
Hope the above helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like Tesla is the only brand that adds additional functionality via software pushes -- e.g., the auto lane change function. So I would doubt Volvo would add that functionality to XC90 already on the road -- I'm sure that would rather sell you another XC90. Ya, it would be great if they add it to the 2017 XC90.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What's the difference at 120 km/h, between the new S90 with Pilot Assist and a XC90 with ACC and Lane Keeping ? Can't see any major new tech between the two, and would gladly relax a bit on the highway with ACC + Lane Keeping with my 16 XC90, with or without the S90-software update later on...

·
Registered
295 Posts
What's the difference at 120 km/h, between the new S90 with Pilot Assist and a XC90 with ACC and Lane Keeping ? Can't see any major new tech between the two, and would gladly relax a bit on the highway with ACC + Lane Keeping with my 16 XC90, with or without the S90-software update later on...
Lane-keeping comes in very late; it only applies when you're about to cross the lines. It's not at all "active", like it is on the Tesla or is about to be on the S90. On top of that it won't stay on after it's activated a few times. Once you're hands-free for too long the system will deactivate and attempt to pull over.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Night and day difference. LKA doesn't keep you centered on the lane. It allows you to drift and corrects when you are pretty much on the line then if you're not on a very straight round it will "bounce" you from one side of the lane to the other as it corrects. At high speeds on a curve it doesn't even fully composite and will cross the line. It's not designed or hands-free use, it's designed to correct your active steering. Pilot Assist is true autonomous steering, but with a ton of limitations right now. The new version for the S90 sounds dramatically better.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Seems like Tesla is the only brand that adds additional functionality via software pushes -- e.g., the auto lane change function. So I would doubt Volvo would add that functionality to XC90 already on the road -- I'm sure that would rather sell you another XC90. Ya, it would be great if they add it to the 2017 XC90.
They're not doing a fantastic job with it, and not doing updates over the air, but Volvo is adding functionality via software. We just got CarPlay and a different traffic info system, and Volvo has indicated that other features such as drivers profiles will be added. The hardware is in place for the updated pilot assist so there's no reason to think an upgrade wouldn't be available at some point (at a cost).

·
Registered
130 Posts
They're not doing a fantastic job with it, and not doing updates over the air, but Volvo is adding functionality via software. We just got CarPlay and a different traffic info system, and Volvo has indicated that other features such as drivers profiles will be added. The hardware is in place for the updated pilot assist so there's no reason to think an upgrade wouldn't be available at some point (at a cost).
I'm not sure we know if the hardware is in place or not. The sensors are important but the computing power is as well.

There are more inputs at a higher speed and compute rate at 130/kph.

The official Volvo support has a "we are evaluating it" response to the question at present.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Night and day difference. LKA doesn't keep you centered on the lane. It allows you to drift and corrects when you are pretty much on the line then if you're not on a very straight round it will "bounce" you from one side of the lane to the other as it corrects. At high speeds on a curve it doesn't even fully composite and will cross the line. It's not designed or hands-free use, it's designed to correct your active steering. Pilot Assist is true autonomous steering, but with a ton of limitations right now. The new version for the S90 sounds dramatically better.
Thank you for the answer.

So, I am hoping like thousand of others that the S90 system will be given to the MY16 XC90s via a software update... crossing fingers that the hardware is strong enough in our cars for that...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm not sure we know if the hardware is in place or not. The sensors are important but the computing power is as well.

There are more inputs at a higher speed and compute rate at 130/kph.

The official Volvo support has a "we are evaluating it" response to the question at present.
Yes, they are saying that they are evaluating it but senior management from volvo have been quoted in several articles indicating that the functionality will proliferate into the 2016 XC90. The hardware is already there as well as the processing power. It will be just a maintenance update and I cannot imagine them charging for it. Volvo has already omitted functionality that should have been there in the first place.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Right, I'm not saying 100% that this feature will be retroactively available (though I believe it will), just that Volvos position is that they will upgrade features via software. Tesla is not the only company doing it.

Regarding charging or not, time will tell but the idea that the current system is incomplete is a joke. The current system is what it is and a future software upgrade would be just that, an upgrade- not a "fix". Tesla charged for its autopilot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts