SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new XC60 w/ adaptive cruise control.

I noticed that once adaptive cruise control is engaged that the increment in speed one obtains is 5 mph. For example if one sets the cruise control on at 55 mph, when you press the "+" button you will increase to 60 mph, the next press takes you to 65 mph. Similarly, if you press the "-" button, you decrease in 5 mph increments. If you start / engage the cruise control at say a speed of 57 mph, then when you press the "+" or "-" buttons you increase (or decrease) to the nearest whole increment (viz in this example you would increase to 60 or decrease to 55 mph)

This all strikes me as a programming mistake. For those of us liking to stretch the 55 mph speed limit to 58, it is now impossible.

Furthermore, the manual talks to the increments being about 1 mph when one presses the "+" or "-" button on the cruise control.

I mentioned it to my dealer and he did not know. Does anyone else have similar experiences ?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Adaptive Cruise Control - Speed Increments make no sense at 5 mph (hshlevin)

If you press the resume button (That button which looks like a round arrow. Don't really know what to call that button) you can increase your speed with +1 mph. It works in Europe anyway.
But I'm pretty sure it will work the same way in US.
But you can't decrease your speed with -1 mph.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: Adaptive Cruise Control - Speed Increments make no sense at 5 mph (hshlevin)

My mother has a relatively new XC70 and, while it's been a while since I read the manual, I seem to recall a way of incrementing by 1 even while the default was 5. Perhaps I'm making that up? Regardless, I found the "incrementing by 5" much more appropriate than my S60's "increment by 1" behavior. The only time I ever moved up or down by one is when I was feeling particularly OCD and my needle wasn't aligned perfectly with my target speed.

Quote, originally posted by hshlevin »
This all strikes me as a programming mistake. For those of us liking to stretch the 55 mph speed limit to 58, it is now impossible.

I've always found five-over to be safe and ten-over fine so long as you're paying attention. The difference between three- and five-over is a rounding margin.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Adaptive Cruise Control - Speed Increments make no sense at 5 mph (exizldelfuego)

I will check on my XC60 on the way home today, but I believe you can just speed up to where you want to be (e.g. 58 mph) and tap the +/- buttons to stay there. If you hit the + button again it will jump up to 60.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Adaptive Cruise Control - Speed Increments make no sense at 5 mph (Hyxarn)

Indeed this worked fine... thanks very much for the tip http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

No settings in the radio menu?

My non adaptive CC adjusts per 1 km/h

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Adaptive Cruise Control - Speed Increments make no sense at 5 mph (Johann)

No user changable settings in the menu for cruise. And yes, non-adaptive cruise can be changed in 1 mph increments.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Don't have a new XC60, but do have 2008 S80T6 with adaptive cruise control. Pressing the resume button will increase set speed by 1 mph each tap; pressing "+" will increase to the next 5mph increment. No 1 mph reduction feature I have ever found, other than to brake, speed up to desired lower speed and press "+" to set new, lower speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts