SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my V70's panels have seen better days, and 601 red panels that are straight and rust free are hard to come by in the Midwest. An XC popped up very local, in 601 and seemingly good shape, so I want to jump on a couple of items.
Has anyone ever swapped the trim pieces or paint matched the trim pieces before? How did it go for you? I've done some light reading and it seems to be the same as painting any other panel, a p80 seams easier than a p2 because there is a lot less cladding. I'd prefer to swap the paint matched panels as opposed to painting them, but I suppose I could get a VR front bumper to throw paint on if I do ;) Pics of the trim panels below;

XC:
XC Door by Evan Morast, on Flickr

V70 (including the problem door/area):
IMG_6833 by Evan Morast, on Flickr

For the rear hatch, is the "Cross Country" black part removable? I'm gonna have to see what all those stickers have done to the paint and see if it's worth the hassle;

XC Hatch by Evan Morast, on Flickr

Finally, the rear bumper also has black trim on it, besides the trim is it different than the V70 bumper? It appears so but that black trim does a lot to the looks. Does anyone happen to have pictures of a paint matched XC rear bumper?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Swapping the door trim pieces is easy.
Warm up the trim with a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen the adhesive, then carefully pull it off. Installation just requires new double sided molding tape.

The XC rear bumper is the best looking of all P80s, but not many have done it. You'll have to sand all the trim smooth and dual exhaust recommended because it looks odd with the cap.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warm up the trim with a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen the adhesive, then carefully pull it off. Installation just requires new double sided molding tape.

The XC rear bumper is the best looking of all P80s, but not many have done it. You'll have to sand all the trim smooth and dual exhaust recommended because it looks odd with the cap.
This was the exact reply I was looking for, thank you! It'll all be going on the NA/m, so I'm not so sure how receptive dressing up a slow car will be with me, but if I go with the XC panels I'm sure there will be scope creep to a VR front bumper, and XC rear bumper. Eventually getting to dual exhaust and all that jazz lol

·
Registered
237 Posts

Man I wish my black R looked that good! I bet I’d need 15k in the body to make it look that good :)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Nice V70

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The hardest part about changing side molding is getting the old adhesive off. I just roll it with my thumb and it comes off 100%, but it's slow and leaves you with sore thumbs. Also if the trim is the same as the C70, it has two locating pins so it goes on in the right spot. Use this to put it on, it's unbelievably sticky:

https://smile.amazon.com/HitLights-...e&qid=1561908990&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

They sell it in different widths too, but I think this is what's on there now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts