SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i need some help guys. I would like to get new wheels for my v70 but i would like something other than what they sell for our vehicles.

so I'm looking at 108 to 120 adapters but I'm not sure how wide of a wheel i can actually get with the different width adapters. they range form 20mm (55$) 25mm(32$) 31mm(29$)

i had planed to roll the fenders, remove the plastic liner and just bed line the wheel wells to make the widest option possible...

i tried using a offset calculator but i cant get my head around it, i have no idea how much room is actually available on both sides of the tire on the stock 16x6.5's to factor that in.

is there any place that will sell same model wheels in different widths? if lets say i wanted to run the rear a bit wider?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
By adding adapters to a FWD car you will have to get really high offset wheels. Like Porsche wheels. Your Volvo is already at around 43mm so adding 20mm will require a 63mm offset wheel to leave the tire at the same factory position. Obviously you can fudge that a bit but it's pretty extreme. If you find a 50mm offset wheel that's like having a 10mm (well, 13mm) spacer in your factory wheels.

The RWD guys have the luck with spacers to use all the FWD wheels we can choose from. Keep looking, there are some great looking wheels out there in our bolt pattern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But doesn't going with a wider rim actually change the offset? correct me if I'm wrong.
lets say i wanted a 9.5 in rim... that would change the offset requirement or not??

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Not quite, when you're talking about offset it's from the centerline of the tire. There's offset and backside offset. These numbers are not backside offset.

If you want a wider tire and you want all the extra width on the outside, then yes your offset affects it, but you still have a hard limit on the distance from the mounting face of the hub to the fender lip. I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying on these cars I think spacers will make it much harder to find wheels that fit, not easier. Keep researching though, I could be wrong.

I do know that several members have used adapters to mount really fat Porsche wheels because they have some ridiculous offset like 55mm already.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm perhaps i should find a good wheel shop and see what my options are, I'm sure they could order what ever specs i need.
If all else fails I'll just go with the Pegs and stretch the hell out of a set of rubber, Porsche wheels just seem a bit out of my budget

1 - 6 of 6 Posts