[*]Interior
    • R-Design steering wheel
    • Heico shifter
    • Heico pedals
    • Aluminum trim pieces
    • Full LED conversion
    • Backseat delete

[HR][/HR]
Everyone else seems to have one of these, so I figured I might as well make one too since I have so much in store for my car! I'm going to go ahead and apologize for the wall of text that is the first post. I've done a lot to my car already and figured I should go through all of it right off.

I don't think I actually have any pictures of my car from when we first bought it, but it's a 2006 S40 2.4i and was purchased around 77k miles IIRC. It was a rebuilt title (it had been totaled because of a tree falling on the hood and fender), but everything on it was 100% stock. When I first got the car, I'll be honest, I was disappointed that I ended up with a Volvo. I didn't know much about my car and I didn't care to learn either. I knew that Volvo upgrades were expensive and few. It was just what I used to get around at the time. (Oh how that's changed recently...)

Anyway, the oldest pictures I can find of my car are actually the ones I took after I had a bit of an accident a couple of months into my ownership...

The entire left side of the body was clearly trashed, windows and all. The interior was removed for a few days to dry out, and amazingly, everything was fine. No water damage to anything at all despite the driver's side being completely under water, and the roof/sunroof were 100% unharmed. Obviously, we got everything fixed and I kept driving it as it was for the rest of high school.

Fast forward to this past summer when I finally had some income...

I always had an interest in upgrading my car, I just figured I would never be able to. (primarily due to a lack of funds..) I had also become a lot more interested in Volvos prior to this, and had been doing a ton of reading on what everyone had been doing to their S40s. So as soon as I started having enough money to really do something with, I poured every bit of it into my car.

6-25-15
I started simple. My first "mod" was blacking out the mirror turn signals.

I had already ordered all kinds of parts from every store, and had my first upgrades heading to my house when a drugged-up dude at a taco bell decided to rear-end my parked car at 2am that same night.

So during the 6 weeks it took the insurance company to sort everything out, I had a pile of car parts constantly growing in my house, taunting me. I could've put some of it on, of course, but I didn't want to be trying to enjoy new parts while the rear end looked so jacked. Eventually I caved and started doing some work just before the bumper got repaired.

7-13-15
For my first real mod, I put myself through the nightmare of taking out the old airbox and swapping it for a CAI I bought off of airjordan117.

7-16-15
Decided to put a Focus engine torque mount and Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar with Meyle end-links on one night before work the next morning (bad idea).

The top hole on the right sway bar bushing bracket was crossthreaded so bad I couldn't even get the bolt started back into it.. By 11pm anywhere that sold the metric tap I needed was already closed. So bright and early the next morning, I got the tap, finished up the sway bar, and was only 15 minutes late to work!

I took a picture of the torque mount but, in my frustration, forgot to snap one of the sway bar, but I assure you, it's there lol.

At this point, I have no new parts left in my house except for body pieces.

8-12-15
H&R springs have arrived, so now it's time to begin the real transformation! This is what I started with.

Over the next week it looked something like this..

8-23-15
Finally, everything is installed, and she's freshly washed and waxed. For the first time, I was really proud to drive my car.

+15 hp stickers

Heico front lip and rear spoiler, Elevate side sills and rear valence, Dubstop grill, H&R Lowering Springs, and a de-unicorned exhaust.

8-31-15
Full interior LED conversion and new R-design steering wheel!

9-5-15
I took on the dragon for the very first time. Met some great people, saw some awesome cars, and had way too much fun all day long.

Ran my motor a little too hot trying to keep up with the T5s and popped my coolant tank. Thankfully all of the guys there were a lot more creative than I am and they got it patched up with some melted plastic and electrical tape until I could get some JB Weld to put on it!

9-9-15
New horns installed! They aren't wired up yet, but that's a project for another day... At least they look good!

That blue lip at the bottom can be a preview I guess . I'm still in the process of getting the rest of the trim painted.

9-13-15
Got a new coolant tank put on, hopefully this one will hold up through the abuse for a while.

9-17-15
My Heico shift knob finally arrived, fresh off the boat! I got lucky on that one since it was the last one they had.

And that catches us up to speed for now! Sorry about the super long first post. I'll keep it updated one mod at a time now!

I'll be posting pictures once I finally get my trim finished. I have some pretty big plans for this winter too, so keep watch for that!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I died a little inside because of the first picture. I am actually amazed that it was in such a good condition afterwards.

Cute little car. Although I love the stock look of S40, you haven't overdone anything yet so it stays in my liking-limits. Only thing I maybe WOULD change, would be spoilers/skirts to body color.

Otherwise, nice progression and happy to see an S40 saved from a slow death on some junkyard lot.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Perfect read with my morning coffee! Thanks!
I feel that we need to know what happened when you got her sideways in the ditch. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can't wait to see what you have in store!

But let's face it, we all really just want to know how you ended up lying on your side!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Normally I would be disappointed to see a 2.4i with so many expansive mods like that body kit but I must say you cars clean as hell especially seeing what it's survived I think makes it all the more special. 🏼

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
+1 for how did you end up on your roof?!?!

I can't believe what a beating this car has taken but still looks so clean. Glad it's in good hands now. :thumbup:

Something needs to be done about your exhaust though. :p
My S40 muffler delete was cut and welded to fit the 850, then cut and spot welded to fit a C30. Now it's just a bunch of pieces and not very pretty.... But we could probably make it work if you're interested.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Normally I would be disappointed to see a 2.4i with so many expansive mods like that body kit but I must say you cars clean as hell especially seeing what it's survived I think makes it all the more special. ��
Thanks! And I agree, she's a tough little thing. We've been through a lot together lol. I know what you mean though, I've had moments where I questioned putting so much time and money into a 2.4i. The truth of the matter though is that this is the car I've got and I'll probably be driving it until it dies, so I might as well enjoy it while I have it!

I died a little inside because of the first picture. I am actually amazed that it was in such a good condition afterwards.

Cute little car. Although I love the stock look of S40, you haven't overdone anything yet so it stays in my liking-limits. Only thing I maybe WOULD change, would be spoilers/skirts to body color.

Otherwise, nice progression and happy to see an S40 saved from a slow death on some junkyard lot.
Thanks! I was very surprised at how well it turned out too! I couldn't believe it didn't have any water damage. If it happened now with my remounted ecu, I'd probably be in big trouble... At the moment, I'm in the midst of an internal battle between wanting to rice it tf out and keeping it really clean looking. I plan to keep it subtle-ish, aside from the blue trim of course.. I'll color match the trim at some point though! That's always been the plan. I just don't have the time/money for it right now so it's getting plastidipped blue until then.

Can't wait to see what you have in store!

But let's face it, we all really just want to know how you ended up lying on your side!
Perfect read with my morning coffee! Thanks!
I feel that we need to know what happened when you got her sideways in the ditch. ;)
Glad you enjoyed it!

+1 for how did you end up on your roof?!?!

I can't believe what a beating this car has taken but still looks so clean. Glad it's in good hands now. :thumbup:

Something needs to be done about your exhaust though. :p
My S40 muffler delete was cut and welded to fit the 850, then cut and spot welded to fit a C30. Now it's just a bunch of pieces and not very pretty.... But we could probably make it work if you're interested.
Alright alright... I knew this was coming haha. I just didn't want to make that first post any longer! There's a long version to this story, but to sum it up, I started drifting everywhere I went for a month or so. One day it was raining on my way home from school, and I had only drifted on dry roads until this point, but failed to realize this at the time. I turned onto a road that starts down a really steep hill, then levels off into a 90 degree right hand turn over a creek, right back into a 90 degree left hand turn. A gnarly bit of road. So I went into the right hand turn, ripped the e-brake, and of course, the back end slid around way faster than I expected. I didn't have time to correct it, drove straight over the bank into the creek, sunk the left side in, and rolled it onto its roof. I had to climb out the passenger-side window. It was a senseless wreck really; I was just reinforcing the stereotype of stupid 16 year old drivers... I did learn my lesson though, I've never drifted since.. (Not on purpose anyway :p) Luckily the bank it rolled against was soft since it was raining though! That saved my roof.

I'm constantly amazed by how great of shape this car is in. It's been through a lot.. So far it's had a tree fall on it, been flipped into a creek, hit a deer, and been rear-ended. At least, that's all that I know about! Each time it had minimal damage. Either I'm just very lucky or I have the toughest S40 out there! I think it's very cool to see where it was a few years ago, and where it is now though. It's come a long way!

And I agree about the exhaust, Michael! It's pretty high on my list of things to do next. I'm probably going to go with Gerrit's suggestion and just do a full straight pipe all the way back, but I'm thinking about going to 3" instead of the stock 2.5. If that's the case, I won't be able to use your delete, but if I stick with 2.5" I might try to make it work. I don't really care if it's pretty, I don't plan on showing the underside of my car like I did in those first pictures anytime soon... Haha

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Ya these things are pretty tough mine went thru some sh*t to and plenty of horse beating up and down the Sandia mountains crest . Looks good tho man, so did airjordan ditch his whole car then ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya these things are pretty tough mine went thru some sh*t to and plenty of horse beating up and down the Sandia mountains crest . Looks good tho man, so did airjordan ditch his whole car then ?

Not to my knowledge, unless something has happened more recently. At the time he was just selling the intake because he had trouble with emissions tests in California when it was on and he got sick of fooling with it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally finished ripping my rear seats out. Looks rough at the moment, but I'd say it's worth it considering how heavy those seat backs are...

Got creative with hiding the seat belts as well so I didn't have to remove them.

I'll probably at least lay down a bit of carpet on the bench to cover the foam part where the current carpet ends. I wish I could take out that huge middle seat bracket though..

·
Registered
38 Posts
If that seat bracket is mounted the same way as the C30 (two 13mm head bolts and 2 welds), just take the two bolts out, get a big hammer, hit it from the left, hit it from the right and it should come right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
Shoot! I forgot to get those measurements for you...

Also, you did the best you can with the back seat belts. If you disconnect them, you'll get an airbag service message that can only be reset by the dealer or a tuner.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shoot! I forgot to get those measurements for you...

Also, you did the best you can with the back seat belts. If you disconnect them, you'll get an airbag service message that can only be reset by the dealer or a tuner.
No problem! I think I might rig something up myself..

I'm glad I didn't mess much with the belts then! I figured it would be a big pain to get them out so I just tucked them behind the interior pieces and remounted the brackets so they wouldn't flop around. Basically like they aren't there anyway!

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
I'm glad I didn't mess much with the belts then! I figured it would be a big pain to get them out so I just tucked them behind the interior pieces and remounted the brackets so they wouldn't flop around. Basically like they aren't there anyway!
Exact same thing I did. Also wrapped them in bubble wrap so they don't rattle.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts