SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 965 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back story-Well, since the recent Photobucket debacle I've decide to create a new thread to update the next phase of the project. Most probably don't know about my project on here, but I converted my Amazon wagon to two door and proceeded to install all manner of custom bits as part of the process.

The past-Well, the car wound up being an Internet hero getting tons of attention and reposts and the original renderings keep popping up all over the place even all these years later. The car was never completed and never ran. The amount of work left to do was just too overwhelming. I don't have a garage at home so I'm at the mercy of a large number of things. Weather, family, house, etc. I decided that it couldn't sit as a driveway ornament any more.

The plan- I decided the fastest path to being able to actually enjoy the car was to use my favorite part of the Amazon (the body) and put it over an already running/driving chassis. My search began. At first I wanted to stay Volvo. I researched everything from 850 to 240 to V70XC to S40, etc. All are too wide and too long a wheelbase. My search widened. I wanted RWD, manual trans and solid aftermarket support. What I didn't was an obscure car that I'd never be able to find parts for. Turns out (after months of Internet scouring and parking lot tape measure work) that the BMW E30 chassis is about the right wheelbase and very close pinch weld to pinch weld width.

The next steps- I started looking for a car and stumbled onto what would be perfect for my needs. An '86 325i convertible that someone had already started parting out (I'd like to point out that all of the cars I've "destroyed" were all headed to the scrap yard before I got them. I'm doing my best to rescue what I can and put the rest of the usable parts in the hands of people who need them). Six cylinder, five speed, extra floor bracing and plenty of aftermarket support. Anyway, I sold the running gear that was in the Amazon and started the break down. Once I had it down to the shell I started by bracing the body to make sure it retained it's shape. Then I removed the entire floor pan. Next I did the necessary repairs to the BMW from the parting process and brought the donor home. I've started removing the outer skin on the BMW. My plan is to prep both cars over the next couple of weeks and I've taken the last week of July off of work to try and complete the body swap.

I'll try to post my updates here, but I have a history of focusing more on the work and less on the posting.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
This is going to be fantastic. Will be following closely. The bimmer chassis will probably allow some nice upgrades with regards to handling, too. What will power it? M?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Oh yes!!! Subscribed, and super stoked to see the progress. I feel confident saying that the Volvo gods will not be incensed with your pluralism here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
Just thinking out loud here. Didn't this era also have the Xi platform or was that the generation after? If so, you could still have all wheel drive and then just look for a decent M motor swap. In doing this chassis swap under the amazon body, could it still be possible to find the running gear and bolt that into the assembly?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beauty of this chassis is that all the swaps have been figured out. I've seen E36 M3 S52 swaps, E46 M3 S54 swaps, M60 V8 and LS swaps all done. Parts are on the shelf. I'm honestly just trying to handle this as cheaply as possible out of the gate then I'll think about swaps once it's on the road. I'll probably stick with a straight six though. Turbo E36 M3 setup would be reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thinking out loud here. Didn't this era also have the Xi platform or was that the generation after? If so, you could still have all wheel drive and then just look for a decent M motor swap. In doing this chassis swap under the amazon body, could it still be possible to find the running gear and bolt that into the assembly?
It did have the iX chassis, but it limits the drivetrain possibilities as well as lower-ability. I like my cars low so I'm willing to stick with the P2 AWD and just have this be RWD. Part of the choice on donor chassis was stumbling onto the one being parted out.

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
Quite a bit accomplished! Are you leaving the back seat? Even though there is no back door setup? Might make for epic swallow length for wagonesque stuff like old school carpet and a set of chrome runners or a kick ass Stereo setup.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quite a bit accomplished! Are you leaving the back seat? Even though there is no back door setup? Might make for epic swallow length for wagonesque stuff like old school carpet and a set of chrome runners or a kick ass Stereo setup.
Yeah, leaving the back seat. Using front seats from an R32 VW so they already have the tilt/slide built in. It'll be less usable that the P2 with a bulkhead, but it'll help keep the chassis stiff. I plan on building my own roof rack for it as well.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the 4th off, but going to try and handle some less dirty stuff today. Handle some mechanical bits instead of cutting and grinding and metal shavings and grinder dust in my ear holes.

R32 seats won't fit either. Sometimes I don't realize how small a car I'm actually working on.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you see nohome's thread in the 1800 section? He basically did this exact same thing with a Miata and an 1800ES. He had to stretch the Miata but otherwise it was like a glove.

Most of his pictures are gone but some good stuff from page 4 onward. If you need inspiration which somehow I doubt. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?200827-P1800ES-Restomod-Project-Starts/page4
I didn't. I'll check it out. I actually looked at a Miata since it's common to strip those down to just the chassis. The kicker was price and a back seat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I didn't. I'll check it out. I actually looked at a Miata since it's common to strip those down to just the chassis. The kicker was price and a back seat.
FYI, the guy doing that build thread moved it over to Grassroots Motorsports a while back. Unfortunately, both threads are suffering from Photobucketitis and there are some gaps in the photos. But a good read otherwise. Hope you have a lot of time... :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've got a 66 Amazon wagon and a BMW 525i Wagon. Also have 67 220 parts car and a 99 528i wagon parts car I stumbled on for 300 bucks, that ones a 5sp.
So of course the thought of a 6 cylinder BMW 5sp powered Amazon wagon crossed my mind. Untill I parked them side by side with the hoods up.
I'm nowhere near ambitious enough for it. :)

I'll be watching this thread though.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI, the guy doing that build thread moved it over to Grassroots Motorsports a while back. Unfortunately, both threads are suffering from Photobucketitis and there are some gaps in the photos. But a good read otherwise. Hope you have a lot of time... :)
I read a whole bunch of the portion of his Grassroots thread that still had pics. I would kill to have that garage. Any garage for that matter.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need some opinions here guys. The fuel filler neck is on the other side on the E30. I need to decide what I am gonna with the filler neck on the body swap. I can A) add the E30 quarter panel gas door to the Amazon quarter panel (probably the easiest) B) relocate the fuel filler behind the passenger taillight (the hardest, but maybe coolest) C) put the filler in the pass side quarter, but use a different gas door (motorcycle or Moon style or something) D) relocate the filler inside the hatch somehow (will have to open the hatch to fill with gas).

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I need some opinions here guys. The fuel filler neck is on the other side on the E30. I need to decide what I am gonna with the filler neck on the body swap. I can A) add the E30 quarter panel gas door to the Amazon quarter panel (probably the easiest) B) relocate the fuel filler behind the passenger taillight (the hardest, but maybe coolest) C) put the filler in the pass side quarter, but use a different gas door (motorcycle or Moon style or something) D) relocate the filler inside the hatch somehow (will have to open the hatch to fill with gas).

Thoughts anyone?
Do option B! That would take this build from level 10 to 11!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,571 Posts
A or B would be my choice. B much harder but very cool ... A with this build makes it unique too.
Do option B! That would take this build from level 10 to 11!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 965 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.