SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see a specific spot for this kind of thing, so the mods can move it if need be. Here's a little about me, I'm a fabricator at heart and I love to build cars. I've had everything from a Turbo T Buick to Honda Civics. I've got a sweet spot for Volvos though. I also have a family, so just about everything I do is budget based or takes a long time. I am more than happy to share how I do anything I do. Sometimes my build threads move really fast, and other times it'll go months without an update (I'll apologize in advance). I've had many careers, from a union glazier working on high rises to a composite armor developer and lots of car customizing jobs in between. This is my first P2 car and that's why I'm here. Also, I LOVE wagons!

Some of my previous non Volvos:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My first Volvo:

Which I made several parts for including the hatch spoiler

Then I wanted RWD:

Which I then built my own suspension bits:

and an airdam:

Turbo'ed it:

Then we got wild with the paint (I say "we", but I meant I had a professional couple do it):

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next I got myself a 122 wagon to play with:

But there was lots of rust on the front frame horn:

So I got a donor car to fix it:

Which then turned into, screw it, I'm going in:

Fast forward:

Built a turbo Penta motor w/16 valve head:

Coupled it to a Supra 5 speed trans and Nissan S13 rear diff/subframe. This project still is sitting in my driveway waiting for me to finish it and get it running.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I got my XC70: a 2005 with a rebuilt title (the quarter panel was hit and not repaired correctly. It's good enough for now though. I'll get to it later.

I kept it stock while we were really busy at work. Then I started fixing and upgrading (in my opinion upgrading) it:

Starting with S80 gauges:

and getting the front illumination to work with dimmer:

I added an R wheel:

and R brakes:

The rubberized paint on the pockets was peeling so I wrapped them with charcoal suede:

I then wrapped all the woodgrain with vinyl that came close to matching the stitching on the seats and doors:

Next on the list was a BIG one. I needed less altitude:

What's required is swapping all XC specific components to non XC stuff.

NON XC front lower control arms
NON XC front struts
NON XC front axles
NON XC front outer tie rods (turns out you need to do the inner tie rods too)

I also did iPd sway bars, HD spring seats, rear toe bars and V/R lowering springs

The wheels are 18x8 Niche NR6s. The tires are take offs from a buddy's wheels. I'll be getting new, wider tires before too long.

Currently I'm working on building my own exhaust for it and wrapping the headliner in suede.

I'll try to update when I can.

Adam

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also deleted the roof rails and swapped on S60 mirrors. On my short list is rewiring the turn indicators and coming up with a trick way to delete the fender indicators.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Very nice, really enjoyed looking through your thread ... impressive. You have mad skills bro.

·
Registered
161 Posts
that Penta motor with the polished (is that brass?!?!?!) head is a thing of beauty. I stared at it for at least a minute just taking it in. Major kudos to you and your ability to create phenomenally good looking cars.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
the copper plate is nice.
Clearcaoted so you didn't have to maintain it?

I'm impressed with your glass work.

What's the details on the s80 cluster swap? Reprogram?
I really like the brushed metal rings.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow! Nice work. Love the 122!

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This is so so good.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the copper plate is nice.
Clearcaoted so you didn't have to maintain it?

I'm impressed with your glass work.

What's the details on the s80 cluster swap? Reprogram?
I really like the brushed metal rings.
No, I didn't clear coat it. I want it to tarnish. For the same reason I used single stage paint. I want it to "patina" all around and look old. Not bright and shiny. It was cool while it was still shiny, but I'm also good with it tarnishing.

I pulled both clusters apart and swapped my circuit board into the S80 "everything else". My circuit board doesn't have the driver for the front lights though, so I had to cut off the plug that went to the S80 circuit board and extend/solder them to those pin positions (tested them all first). I liked the rings and the faces are like the R faces, just black instead of blue. I first plugged the S80 cluster straight in, but it rear the mileage of the S80, and my XC had pretty low miles to begin with. The kind of tricky part was aligning the needles. I made sure I had a full tank before I started to be sure to know where to put that one, I wrote down where my car idled at, My heat read dead center when it was warmed up and I used the GPS speedo in my phone to verify the speedo location. I just left the clear face off and didn't push the needles all the way on so I could pull them back off and adjust while driving. The needles feel like they stop in the bottom position (GM vehicles do this), but as soon as you pull up on the needle you find out that the detent is on the back of the needle, not the gauge motor.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yeah, getting the stepper motors in the same spot is a PITA. I've done it by trail and error on some GM clusters that i put new motors in.

I wonder what it would cost to just have it reprogrammed to car at the dealer. If it was sub $100 I'd say it's worth it to not have to take apart the cluster.
Not too concerned about the additional lighting, so i'd probably just say F it on that and punt.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Very impressive body of work - I would be very proud to own/drive any of them - admittedly a soft spot for the 122 - VERY nicely done. Also loving the XC.....and the Buick....and the...... Please continue to keep the updates coming.

1 - 20 of 478 Posts