SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
For those that have not veered beyond this particular forum thread and have not experienced an Adam Nonis build as yet, buckle up and enjoy the ride. The audacity of the various visions coupled with the craftsmanship and final execution excellence is a something to behold, especially given that a lot of the work is undertaken under an open tent in a driveway in the PNW. I have often referred non-Volvo-ites to the various threads and they are typically blown away by the workmanship. I am looking greatly forward to watching this build unfold as I do with all of them and fully expect to be both incredibly jealous of the talent and amazed at the final product. Adam - thx for giving us a ringside seat to the build.

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
An emphatic second!
For those that have not veered beyond this particular forum thread and have not experienced an Adam Nonis build as yet, buckle up and enjoy the ride. The audacity of the various visions coupled with the craftsmanship and final execution excellence is a something to behold, especially given that a lot of the work is undertaken under an open tent in a driveway in the PNW. I have often referred non-Volvo-ites to the various threads and they are typically blown away by the workmanship. I am looking greatly forward to watching this build unfold as I do with all of them and fully expect to be both incredibly jealous of the talent and amazed at the final product. Adam - thx for giving us a ringside seat to the build.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So so so many parts on order. Decisions to make.
So far I’ve
Replaced:
-Alternator
-Yaw sensor
-Battery
-Blower motor
-Wipers
-Front sunroof drain grommets

That was just to get it drivable.

Parts in hand for the next round of work:
-Third row seatbelt (dog chewed through the OE)
-Timing cover seal kit
-Valve cover gaskets
-Serpentine belt/tensioner/idlers
-Heater hoses

Parts ordered and in some level of shipping/handling
-Facelift xenon headlights
-R Brembos f/r (used)
-OEM R brake pads f/r
-R rotors f/r
-Lesjfors front springs
-Lesjfors non-Nivomat rear springs
-Front struts
-Front spring seats
-Front strut bearings
-Front strut hardware (nuts/washers/bump stops/etc)
-Rear offset camber bushings
-Rear adjustable toe rods
-Braided R brake lines f/r
-Drivers seatbelt bezel
-Gas cap/retainer strap
-Front sway bar end links
-Pass seat front side trim
-Drivers and Passenger A pillars
-Tailgate lock/latch
-Passenger front sill
-Weathertech Front/Rear/Hatch all weather mats
-(5) Gear Off-Road Wheels
-Garmin dash cam
-(4) Pelican 1200 cases for hatch
-Rough Country 1990 Bronco II front shocks
-(1) 265/70/18 BFG Trail Terrain (to test fit)

There might even be more. I’ve lost count.

These are the wheels:

Vinyl wrap won’t happen for a while, but I should decide on color do I can decide what color to paint the calipers before I install them. There’s always the same grey that the V70R was wrapped, but I’ve been thinking of doing a more interesting color. Some options I’ve been thinking of.

Also thought about an orange (like Saffron or the color iPd did on they’re crazy XC70 back in the day), but I’m not really an orange car guy.

So, all of that and some hours of greasy work I should have this thing to a solid stage 1.5. Shooting for around a 3” overall suspension lift, coupled with larger tire size (33”ish vs 29”) should get me about 5” overall lift from where it’s at.

Things I learned from the first rig:
-Keep it light for DD use and make it easy to attach stuff for getting out into the woods
-I RARELY used the overhead lights except to get people to move over, but they REALLY come in handy when camping
-I used the bumper yellow lights a lot
-PPF the bottom half of the car and ceramic coat at least the roof before installing the roof rack
-I never used the perforated rack deck for strapping stuff down. Always just went straight to the side rails, so I don’t really need the associated weight of the steel perforated sheet.
-Even the expensive Pelican recovery gear case warped in the elements, just go cheap on the case and buy an extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
I like the gloss blue raspberry. Sorta badass ORE-like and then those sweet wheels.

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
1,026 Posts
I like the gloss blue raspberry. Sorta badass ORE-like and then those sweet wheels.
+1! Really looking forward to this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The only thing about the blue and red is that they seem more like sports car colors and less off-road. I liked the teal cause it’s sorta Flash Green-ish, and has an earthy tone. I might look at BRG type colors too.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The only thing about the blue and red is that they seem more like sports car colors and less off-road. I liked the teal cause it’s sorta Flash Green-ish, and has an earthy tone. I might look at BRG type colors too.

Will be following along from the shadows...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looks like this weekend I’ll be dropping the motor out to handle the rest of the maintenance. Wish me luck.

I also will be taking a set of wrecking yard control arms and swapping the weird bushings out (it’s like they’re designed to resist moving) for a uniball bearing and some urethane sleeve bushings.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Looks like this weekend I’ll be dropping the motor out to handle the rest of the maintenance. Wish me luck.

I also will be taking a set of wrecking yard control arms and swapping the weird bushings out (it’s like they’re designed to resist moving) for a uniball bearing and some urethane sleeve bushings.

When you hit the lack of motivation wall I can throw you a couple of picks of the drag car progress. It works for me in reverse when I look over your progress….lol.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Bought this unusable Haldex clutch assembly to tear into (maybe cut in half) to see if there’s a way to manually override the controller and make it stay in AWD when you want it to. It’ll wind up in the trash when I’m done, but didn’t pay much.

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
410 Posts
Bought this unusable Haldex clutch assembly to tear into (maybe cut in half) to see if there’s a way to manually override the controller and make it stay in AWD when you want it to. It’ll wind up in the trash when I’m done, but didn’t pay much.
I'm pretty sure in the VW/Audi world there's a "module" you can buy to tell the DEM (over CAN) to stay locked. No idea if there's an equivalent for Volvos. There are cheaper ones pretty sure, this just came up in a quick google search:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm pretty sure in the VW/Audi world there's a "module" you can buy to tell the DEM (over CAN) to stay locked. No idea if there's an equivalent for Volvos.
From everything I’ve been told, none of them work in Volvos. Might try it anyway.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sometimes you gotta take a step back to take a couple steps forward (or something like that).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sometimes you gotta take a step back to take a couple steps forward (or something like that).

Guts and more guts….

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
From everything I’ve been told, none of them work in Volvos. Might try it anyway.

Just make it work…
Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part Bumper

Bicycle Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Rim Bicycle part

fabbed up a reluctor ring for the speed sensor….

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
21 - 40 of 90 Posts