SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve here in London Ontario.
So I was feeling flush and ready for a $200 oil change, so I went to the dealer. I also went for other reasons.
  • Would I be able to get a software update?
  • Would they find any codes or know why by Turbo was doing a 2 second overboost and the being cut out, until I restarted the car?
  • And why is oil leaking by the right front wheel?

When they got there they noted they hadn't seen me in a long time. In fact its been 3 years. I took it in when I bought it used, again for a factory check-up recall etc visit.

First bit of good news. The service rep explained they were going to do the software update, free, before I even asked. Then they double checked that the oil was on the right front wheel as they couldn't see anything.

When they were all done, they explained that they did find the "Flamebox" filter was clogged solid and the hose was broken. (AKA the PCV I've read about) And yes my engine sounded whinny lately.
Second bit of good news, its covered by the warranty, no charge, but they need the car back as he said its a 3 hour job.

I was pleased with all of that.

Bad news. By licence plate lights are out, and he says its a whole new assembly, $80 parts and 1 1/2 labour. Is this double by a citizen I'm wondering.

Maybe Bad News #2 One rear calliper is sticking and it could be the calliper or the emergency brake cables($$$$). Advice welcome.

So all in all I can't complain, as I got/getting free stuff for a $200 oil change vs. a basic $40 oil change.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It was a successful trip it sounds like. Are you sure the license plate lights are not something you could fix?

The brakes are another thing you could take a look at yourself before sending it to them. At least if you look at it, you might be able to tell them some information you found while working on the caliper etc, that will help them figure out what is wrong, saving time with them messing with it, resulting in saving you $$.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking I might have a look at the licence lights. I mean its not like they won't work any worse!
As for the brakes I'll take it back to Fanshawe Motors, know as the dealer alternative for volvos.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hey Steve. Do they really charge you $200 for a synthetic oil and filter change? I'm in K-W and pay about $95 at BK Volvo.

Sometimes it pays to go to the dealer just to have them check things over. Granted, after having my car for over 3 years and learning so much on the forums, I can pretty much go in there and tell them what I want done and what I don't want done. I have a super good relationship with my dealer in Hamilton though, and I trust them more than any other garage. Glad you got the PCV done under warranty. I've seen a lot of Volvos with burnt out license plate bulbs, and my car is no exception. Sometimes they're both on and sometimes only one is. Guess I'll have to take care of that soon as well.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Steve. Do they really charge you $200 for a synthetic oil and filter change? I'm in K-W and pay about $95 at BK Volvo.
Those are both ridiculously high prices considering the oil @ walmart (mobile 1) is 35$ and a filter is 7 bucks..... The lighting situation is somewhat shady now that I think about it as well. The dealership should be a last resort because they screw you

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may be doing them a disservice by calling it an oil change. Its a 84000 km service. But what do you get? An oil change fluid levels check and some visual inspections.
oil and parts 49.39
labour 140.56.
Environment oil disposal 4.50....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Those are both ridiculously high prices considering the oil @ walmart (mobile 1) is 35$ and a filter is 7 bucks..... The lighting situation is somewhat shady now that I think about it as well. The dealership should be a last resort because they screw you
Nah, I was buying German Castrol 0W30 for a while at Wal-Mart and that was between $70 and $80. So the dealer's price is pretty accurate. Depends on the relationship that you have with your dealership. Where I go for the bigger jobs, they always cut me a deal and have even given me labour rates of $75/h and up to 20% off of parts. Hard to beat that, even at an independent Volvo mechanic.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
at that oil change labor price they are probably changing the cabin filter too. that is time consuming. confirm?
for the brakes - if you arent comfortable attacking it yourself i would recommend an independent garage to do the work. save $$ on labor.
license plate light - i am guessing it is more than just a bulb change at that price?
sounds like maybe the stealership is trying to get you to pay for the "free" stuff they did....

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I may be doing them a disservice by calling it an oil change. Its a 84000 km service. But what do you get? An oil change fluid levels check and some visual inspections.
oil and parts 49.39
labour 140.56.
Environment oil disposal 4.50....
They are supposed to check fluid levels, brake wear, etc. for free.

And they charge you to dispose of the old oil?!?! Maybe it's a Canada thing? I can just drop off my oil at Walmart and walk away.

Does sound like $200 is worth what you'll get.

As for the license plate lights, I'm sure you can do that yourself. Just order the new assemblies (it's not just the bulbs?) and put them in.

·
Registered
962 Posts
you can drop off old oil at canadian tire free. old oil filter too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts