SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Today my 2009 Volvo S80 T6 (AWD) saved my life, by avoiding an accident rather than being in one.

Coming from lighter, sportier and more tossable Saabs as my last 3 cars, for the longest time I'd been complaining that my Volvo (which I got in June) felt a little truck like, and didn't handle as well as I'd like. Now I know that when push comes to shove, it can do a really good job.

I was going down this hill, in about 4" of snow on an untreated road (plows apparently handn't made it here yet). The light was green as I approached the intersection, when all of a sudden a snow plow, which previously had been standing still decided that traffic lights don't apply to him, and pulled out into the intersection from my left.

Even with my winter tires, there was no way I was going to be able to stop in time.

I laid on the horn and slammed on the brakes. Luckily the guy finally noticed me and stopped about halfway into my lane, still requiring me to swerve to avoid hitting him. This turned into an all wheel burnout drift through the intersection, righting myself out just in time to avoid running into someone's yard.

I have been astonished how -even with light performance winter tires like mine (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3) - the S80 with AWD has been AMAZING in the snow. I feel fairly certain if I hadn't had my Volvo with AWD AND my winter tires, tonight could have ended very differently.

IMHO the best accident is the one you are never in!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Great post! Glad you avoided the accident!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts