SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I wait for my car, I've been reading the manual and noticed that the XC90 comes with active high beams.

How do you guys like it? Does it turn it off fairly quickly when a car is approaching?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Works like a charm. The best part is that it adjusts the beam also according to the car in front.
That is awesome. I can't wait!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Works like a charm. The best part is that it adjusts the beam also according to the car in front.
+1

Especially if your driving in rural areas, countryside and even in most highways that doesn't have street lights. I also notice it will adjust very quickly when the road is very well lit. Very nice feature. I love it.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
We don't get active beams in the U.S. Fringe. We get auto highbeams. Norway and most of, maybe all of Europe, gets the active high beams. All the auto does that we get here is turn off the high beams if a car is coming or one in sensed in front of you. After it is gone, the high beams come back on. I've used it and it works well. You can thank the slow acting USA Govt bureau who still isn't changing the law to allow for the new active high beam technologies, there have been articles regarding this for a while now on the net.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We don't get active beams in the U.S. Fringe. We get auto highbeams. Norway and most of, maybe all of Europe, gets the active high beams. All the auto does that we get here is turn off the high beams if a car is coming or one in sensed in front of you. After it is gone, the high beams come back on. I've used it and it works well. You can thank the slow acting USA Govt bureau who still isn't changing the law to allow for the new active high beam technologies, there have been articles regarding this for a while now on the net.
I actually meant what you just explained. Highbeams are on the whole time. When a car approaches, the they turn off automatically and turn back on when the vehicle passes.

What is the difference between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The non-USA version only dips the lights in brightly-lit areas or if it detects ten or more objects ahead. Otherwise it leaves the high beam on all the time, dipping only the individual LEDs shining on any vehicles ahead. The NHTSA is understandably concerned that such a system might malfunction and dazzle an oncoming driver, and wants an objective test in place of the European test which relies on the subjective judgement of test drivers.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think what he meant is Active Bending Light... but I think it's legal here already (I'm might be wrong), I thought it's only Audi's laser thingy that won't be in the US market because of outdated regulations.

This is from Volvo North America's site:

"LED Headlights w/Active Bending Lights (ABL), Active High Beam (AHB) & Thor's Hammer Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Advanced LED light technology allows a supremely wide and long light pattern.
-The lights turn up to 30 degrees in either direction with the steering helping for better night vision.
-No need to switch between low/high beam as your headlights stay on high beam all the time. When another car approaches from the opposite direction, the system prevents dazzling the other driver switching to low beam.
- The system can even recognize pedestrians and cyclists and avoids dazzling them, too."

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-No need to switch between low/high beam as your headlights stay on high beam all the time. When another car approaches from the opposite direction, the system prevents dazzling the other driver switching to low beam.
- The system can even recognize pedestrians and cyclists and avoids dazzling them, too."
This is exactly what I meant.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is exactly what I meant.
What I meant is I think that's what Paradox mean... sorry for the confusion. (this is a very confusing phrase)

I'm really not sure about the Active Bending Lights though, I tried it but somehow the light doesn't point towards the direction my steering wheel goes so we might only have the Active High Beam. Err I don't know now I'm confused. :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I meant is I think that's what Paradox mean... sorry for the confusion. (this is a very confusing phrase)

I'm really not sure about the Active Bending Lights though, I tried it but somehow the light doesn't point towards the direction my steering wheel goes so we might only have the Active High Beam. Err I don't know now I'm confused. :D
Momentum Plus package, R-Design, and Inscription come with Active Bending Lights per Volvo's US website.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Watch this video, this is waht I meant by we don't get the active system Europe and other places get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1FUA6gvlxc

We get auto highbeam, which just simply switches between low and high beam. The system in the video is far more advanced and what the current US regulations will not allow for.

The bending lights are yet another feature. I leave mine on, I like them. I find them helpful but in city driving they do become 'noticable' turning for each turn at an intersection. Now when driving at speed, say 25-30mph on a curvy road, that's where they really are great.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Watch this video, this is waht I meant by we don't get the active system Europe and other places get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1FUA6gvlxc

We get auto highbeam, which just simply switches between low and high beam. The system in the video is far more advanced and what the current US regulations will not allow for.

The bending lights are yet another feature. I leave mine on, I like them. I find them helpful but in city driving they do become 'noticable' turning for each turn at an intersection. Now when driving at speed, say 25-30mph on a curvy road, that's where they really are great.
Yes, I've heard about this technology. You're right, they are not available in the United States.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh okay so it's not supposed to be Active but instead Auto... now Volvo North America should change that description then. So that explains why our car's headlight doesn't have this:

Thanks Paradox for clarifying that! :thumbup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Highbeams are on the whole time. When a car approaches, the they turn off automatically and turn back on when the vehicle passes.

What is the difference between the two?
What are your headlight settings? When I enter the car I hold the ring all the way up so it goes to the auto (high-beams), but it rarely turns on because there's always some sort of vehicle near me.

Do you actively turn on your high beams and then set the ring to auto?

·
Registered
566 Posts
In the US, you need to manually turn on the high beams and if it is set it will dim when are car is near and turn back on when car is gone? Basically there is no way the car will sense it is really dark and turn the high beams from the off position to on automatically?

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the US, you need to manually turn on the high beams and if it is set it will dim when are car is near and turn back on when car is gone? Basically there is no way the car will sense it is really dark and turn the high beams from the off position to on automatically?
I was wondering the same. Anyone know the answer to this?? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You can always manually turn on/off the high beams with the stick so long as the ring is in the auto or on positions.

To enable auto-high beams, you need to rotate the ring to the auto high beam position. The DIM will show a different icon to show that AHB is on. Now, once it is enabled, the car will handle the high/low beams by itself. The one thing I noticed is that if the street is sufficiently lit, the car will keep the low beams. Same if it detects an oncoming car.

Near my home, there is a street that bends about 90 degrees. At the bend, there is a building with a big glass window. The car systematically "sees" its own light reflections on the window, thinks there is an oncoming car and drops into low beam. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts