SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all the T6 and T8s have an active exhaust actuator that closes the right pipe most of the time. Mine has been stuck open. I’m not under warranty anymore so I decided to change it myself.

Parts cost for the actuator is about $200.

Many companies use the same actuator which is made by another company.

Same OEM part number. Same part. One has a Volvo sticker. One has a Ford sticker. Bought the Ford one for under $100 from the same parts supplier that sells the Volvo marked one for twice the price.

Damn. I wonder how many other parts of this car are marked up similarly.

(Yes I know some people permanently disable the valve so the exhaust is louder all the time.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
I experienced the same issue when buying a mirror turn signal to my now gone Infiniti Q50S. Getting the Nissan part was 1/3 of Infiniti one. Crazy!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do we know under what conditions the second valve opens? This would be an ingenious way to implement an aftermarket exhaust setup on one side (free flowing; no muffler/resonator), and a quieter or even existing setup on the other!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
645 Posts
To my knowledge it only opens up when in Dynamic "or Polestar" mode.

·
Registered
512 Posts
So all the T6 and T8s have an active exhaust actuator that closes the right pipe most of the time. Mine has been stuck open. I’m not under warranty anymore so I decided to change it myself.

wait.. what? Do all T6 S/V/XC90 and S/V/XC60 have this active exhaust installed? I've not seen any YT or press reviewer mention this info.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This part was faulty in my car; apparently it was stuck closed. I'd been complaining about uneven acceleration for a year and a half, and the first two visits to the dealership, they told me this was normal behavior for the car. I knew it wasn't. Well, this last time they noticed a code for that actuator and replaced it, and my car drives completely different now and feels great.

So for anyone who feels uneven acceleration, kind of like a little "skip" in the throttle input, ask the dealership to check this actuator.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you permanently disable the valve?
There are companies that make actuator eliminators that plug in place of the box so it doesn’t throw a code.

I can actually tell it’s working now because if I go for a drive in normal mode the left pipe is hot and the right one is cool. Power mode, both sides hot.

It stayed under my radar for so long because the T8 stops the engine when the car is still and doesn’t restart it until it’s already accelerating so it isn’t as noticeable.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
wait.. what? Do all T6 S/V/XC90 and S/V/XC60 have this active exhaust installed? I've not seen any YT or press reviewer mention this info.
Most, if not all, dual exhaust vehicles have a system like this - very common.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This part was faulty in my car; apparently it was stuck closed. I'd been complaining about uneven acceleration for a year and a half, and the first two visits to the dealership, they told me this was normal behavior for the car. I knew it wasn't. Well, this last time they noticed a code for that actuator and replaced it, and my car drives completely different now and feels great.

So for anyone who feels uneven acceleration, kind of like a little "skip" in the throttle input, ask the dealership to check this actuator.
I believe my 2016 T6 has this behavior. I have even tried to accelerate out of offroad mode to clear the learned response and it didn't change the skip you're referring to.

partridge, how easy was it to replace the actuator yourself. I'm also out of warranty and am willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe my 2016 T6 has this behavior. I have even tried to accelerate out of offroad mode to clear the learned response and it didn't change the skip you're referring to.

partridge, how easy was it to replace the actuator yourself. I'm also out of warranty and am willing to give it a try.
Three 8mm nuts. Pull it off. Unplug.

Putting it back on is a little tricky, and this is where I think it got damaged to begin with after a body shop trip.

There’s a coil spring that goes from the actuator to the exhaust and it has to be seated properly in both parts, which can be fiddly. If it isn’t seated properly it can jam. In particular the part of the valve that the spring seats into has two notches. It’s very easy to seat only of the two notches and not the other when you’re doing it under the car.

From how flat my old spring was I don’t think it was seated right.

If you zoom in on the pictures you can see the part numbers.

It’s a Kuster actuator. Volvo part number is 31372261. Ford part is FR3V-9V468-AB and is used on the mustang gt350.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
375 Posts

I did that, too, with the offroad mode. Tried disconnecting both batteries for a while so the transmission would have to re-learn. Didn't work. My first time complaining about it was like 18 months ago. They couldn't reproduce it, so I drove with them and the foreman said he could feel it but thought maybe it was normal behavior. I was told they tested another car like mine and it felt the same, so they could inform Volvo about it but couldn't make a repair. I could feel this uneven accelration in all modes, wnd wondered if it was Polestar and software updates not working together or something.

The second time I brought it in was a year later in early July. Same thing...took the foreman for a drive and couldn't reproduce it during that ten minutes (I felt it on the way to the dealership; it drives me crazy when it stops being noticeable right when I need it to be). They did my regular 24 month maintenance and a software update. The tech said he replaced the actuator because of the code and did a full software update, but couldn't tell if the problem was fixed with the acceleration, saying it drives normally.

I noticed the difference immediately this time. It drove...nicely. Smooth acceleration in all modes.

Now, it COULD be just from the most recent software update. Or it could be the actuator. Or both. But given that I've had four FULL software updates in 2 years, and none fixed the problem before, I feel pretty confident it was the actuator.

Anyway, now I love how my car drives and my satisfaction with it has gone way up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts