SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) sounds like on T8 models?

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Does anyone know what the Acoustic Vehicle Alert System (AVAS) sounds like on T8 models?
Is it available now? I don't think so.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
From what I read all new Hybrid & Electric Cars sold after July 1st in the EU must have AVAS and all existing cars must add it by July 2021.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...ise-low-speeds-european-union-rules-2019-2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read it interpreted different ways, in this Verge article it suggests "sold" since July 1, where as other accounts (link) suggest new models introduced ("developed and sold") after July 1 which makes me think it's for new vehicles introduced. The distinction is small but would mean that new cars on the lot of as of July 1 may not need the retrofit and only new MY introduced after July 1 will. This would mean that the next MY T8 in Europe will need it but not current MY2019. I guess the question is if MY2020 was already being sold in EU or not. If MY2020 was available in EU before July 1 it may be exempt until 2021. On prior OSD we've been able to collect the next MY Volvo in July but related to this I don't know if it had been available before July. For example, could we have received our 2001 V40 in June 00 instead of July 00 (we picked up in July, more than a month before the US introduction).

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/business/electric-vehicles-warning-noises-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

Another difference between the EU and retro US legislation is that EU drivers will have the flexibility to disable AVAS as appropriate. I’m sure each country will have distinct laws allowing for what may be appropriate.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
From what I read all new Hybrid & Electric Cars sold after July 1st in the EU must have AVAS and all existing cars must add it by July 2021.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...ise-low-speeds-european-union-rules-2019-2021

"AVAS will need to be installed in new models of hybrid and electric cars introduced from today onward."
So new model starting today. Existing models by July 2021, two years to go.

There is only one horn on the car. It only makes one sound. Maybe they can horn it with very low volume and short pulse, like horn,horn,horn?
It would sound like doggie barks. :) What else?

And also it should only horn it when human or animals are detected nearby, right? Otherwise road becomes more noisy.

And it is so weird cars will sound differently.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
We have had AVAS on our Toyota Prius 2005, Toyota Prius 2006, Nissan Leaf 2011, Toyota RAV4EV 2014, Kia Soul EV+ 2015 and the Chevy Bolt 2017. So it is not a big deal. Basically a sound that comes from the car so that people (Pedestrians) are not surprised as you approach them from the back in electric mode with no engine operating.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
We have had AVAS on our Toyota Prius 2005, Toyota Prius 2006, Nissan Leaf 2011, Toyota RAV4EV 2014, Kia Soul EV+ 2015 and the Chevy Bolt 2017. So it is not a big deal. Basically a sound that comes from the car so that people (Pedestrians) are not surprised as you approach them from the back in electric mode with no engine operating.
Were they aftermarket? I've never heard any of those make sounds. The only AVAS I've heard to date on an EV is that of the Fisker Karma which sounds really amazing - like a spaceship!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
All were OEM. Electric only cars do not have ICE of course, and are really quiet from a noise standpoint. It is easy to sneak up on someone, so the added noise lets folks know you are close. Even Prius way back when would use it. Backing up often is battery only as you are generally going slow enough not to start the engine. Deadly quiet so to speak. The various sounds are not very loud. So it depends on the prevailing sound density as to whether you will hear the system. I was always aware especially as we would pull out of the garage.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would assume some other markets have AVAS on the T8 now. I am just hoping the sound is something futuristic not fake ICE noise. Jaguar and Audi have a future digital sounds.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts

·
Registered
8,740 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I vote for Yamaha 4.4L at WOT, that will get the pedestrians out of the way.

But hopefully they wont bring this nanny state bull**** to the US.
Too late - Congress passed law requiring it beginning by the end of this year (although I’ve also seen it reported as “beginning in 2021”).

https://insideevs.com/news/330043/quiet-car-rule-new-evs-must-emit-warning-sounds-in-us-by-2019/

What’s certain is that the study began in 2010 and NHSTA finalized the rule that was enacted into law and requires the US to have AVAS at speeds of 19mph or lower. What’s disappointing is it doesn’t seem there’s a stealth option like in EU (where you can disable as needed).

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The worse part is every car maker will create a different weird sound and make the street noisy and weird.

Why don't they require a unified sound like every horn sounds the same today?

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
The worse part is every car maker will create a different weird sound and make the street noisy and weird.

Why don't they require a unified sound like every horn sounds the same today?

every horn doesnt sound the same, never has.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Not only that, every engine doesn’t sound the same. I hope there’s distinction just as it’s exciting to hear that raspy flat six of air cooled 911s vs. water cooled go by the house or even more exciting is hearing our neighbor’s 1920s Speed Six Mulliner Drophead (even our oldest loves hearing it and trying to spy “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”). We hope to be able to tell by sound what’s going by. It’s the home bound version of Punch Buggie :)
every horn doesnt sound the same, never has.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Not only that, every engine doesn’t sound the same. I hope there’s distinction just as it’s exciting to hear that raspy flat six of air cooled 911s vs. water cooled go by the house or even more exciting is hearing our neighbor’s 1920s Speed Six Mulliner Drophead (even our oldest loves hearing it and trying to spy “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”). We hope to be able to tell by sound what’s going by. It’s the home bound version of Punch Buggie :)
In the end, you will only be confused on the street: what the h is going on here?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts