SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed or seen installed the sunscreen accessory that Volvo offers for the rear door and cargo windows on the V70 wagons? We am reluctant to tint the windows on our '02 XC, but we would like to cut sun and heat in hot weather (for the dogs, in part). These are spendy items (about $114 discounted). Are they functional? Attractive? Easy to install and remove? Or a permanent install?<P>Any information anyone has about them would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the cargo area sun screens installed as original equipment on my 2001 XC. They are quite neat, retractible, and easy to use - but I decided that they are not robust enough for a dog. Then I had the windows tinted so that the screens are now completely redundant. Unfortunately, they will not fit the rear passenger windows - different size. I don't know why you are reluctant to tint the windows. I had an additional protective film applied over the tint film. The dogs stay cool and the tinting has not been damaged by the dogs after more than a year - and less than the cost of the screens. The auto dim of the rear view mirror is also now redundant, as is my expensive cargo cover! I would not hesitate from tinting to keep the dogs happy. I could have saved myself a deal of money by anticipating the tinting before ordering some of the options.<P>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm ... guess I'll start be reexamining my assumption about tinting the windows. I had two concerns about that option: (1) there are so many bad tint jobs; (2) the dogs. I know as to #1, it is a matter of shopping carefully and getting a good installer. But I worry that over time (say, 5 yrs or more), the film will fail. What did you learn about that? As for dogs, your experience is very helpful. All in all, I've been too quick to rule it out. Any information about brand of film you used, how you made the selection, etc. would be most helpful. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
61 Posts
With regard to the durability of the tint film: I think that if it is applied expertly the basic life expectancy should be indefinite. The question really is the impact of a dog. One of my two dogs (that spend a lot of time in my XC including long trips of 9 hours on consecutive days) chewed the cover off the the 12V receptacle on the first time out. Either by chewing or scratching, the rear blinds are vulnerable. ine are still installed in the robust retracted positions! If you are sold on using these, perhaps we could do a deal! My dogs have managed to leave nose prints on the tint but have done no damage. For reassurance, an extra protective "security film" gives me some extra reassurance and was not much in additional cost.<P>In terms of effectiveness, the optional screens would not protect the rear window and the rear passenger windows from the sun. So the temperature for the dogs will be considerable higher for the dogs (and the driver and pasengers!) than with tinting. This means that even with additional rear sunblinds, the effectiveness in keeping the interior cool at this much greater relative cost would be less than a good tint - i.e. dark for the back 5 windows and a less tint on the driver/front passenger windows. By the way, the visibility from inside is just fine but is practically opaque from outside.<P>Furthermore, the tint is nice for the passengers and driver too. I find that the side glare from the sun, which previously could be only partialy redressed by swiveling the visor, is no problem, even with the lighter tint on the front. <P>I cannot recall the make of tint film. Each installer has favourites and different costs. I avoided the metalized look and chose a gray colour for my silver car. To find a reputable installer, I decided it would be pointless calling around; I asked the foreman at my Volvo dealer who recommended an excellent installer. If you have the film installed well, even if it were to fail in a few years, the cost wold be much less than the blind alternatives, apart from the superior effectiveness of the tint. Good luck and I hope your dogs will be happy. Of course, you won't want to leave them in a parked closed car for any length of time in the sun, irrespective of what you decide to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts