SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night once, and today two times, when on a 2 lane, straight road (40 miles an hour), I have my ACC set, and when the car in front of me slows down, so does my car. But then when the car in front of me comes to a stop, my car stops (as expected), but immediately, the park break comes on, and the message "Cruise Control Cancelled" shows up. When I try to resume (push the circular arrow button), it says "Cruise Control Unavailable." Other times, though, my car stops normally, and the ACC goes inactive after two seconds. Push the resume button, and the car starts moving again. On the highway, I have never had this issue.

I haven't had my car for more than a few days, but it seems that this is not normal. I'll be calling my dealer about it, but figured I'd ask the people here first :)

Thanks,

Toine

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called my dealer today. The service manager told me that ACC with queue Control is not supposed to brig your car to a stop, and that city safety probably came on, and that caused the parking break to come on.

What do you say?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Number 1 -- Queue control will bring your car to a complete stop! After about 3 to 5 seconds at a stop, ACC will automatically be put in standby mode, but the foot brake will remain on. After about 2 minutes, the parking brake will be automatically engaged and the foot brake released.

Number 2 -- It takes a while to get used to ACC and learn to trust it. Also, queue control has some quirks you have to learn about.

I live in Europe where the streets are narrow and there are often cars parked along the side of the road. Under some conditions, the radar cannot distinguish between the car in front that is slowing down to stop and the car parked on the side. When this happens, the "Cruised Control Cancelled" will come on and I'll have to drive myself for a while.

Another "feature" happens when the car you are following makes a slight right turn (such as turning onto a highway entrance ramp), the radar will slowly loose the car and you will begin to accelerate. This is very upsetting if the car you were following was tailgating the car in front of him and now you are accelerating into another car 15 meters in front of you.

Also, when you are passing other cars in a curve on a four lane highway, ACC will sometimes pick up the car or truck in the right lane and suddenly apply the brakes.

Like I said, it has its quirks, but once you learn them, it is a very good system and allows you to concentrate on driving and not worry too much about the guy in front suddenly braking.

There are a number of senerios that could cause the situation you describe. If the car in front was slowing and then suddenly stops, the system could have interpreted it as an emergency situation and the City Safety kicked in. If the weather was bad (heavy rain, snow or fog), the system would shut down and make you drive yourself.

If you keep having these issues, then your system probably needs adjusting.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Number 1 -- Queue control will bring your car to a complete stop! After about 3 to 5 seconds at a stop, ACC will automatically be put in standby mode, but the foot brake will remain on. After about 2 minutes, the parking brake will be automatically engaged and the foot brake released.

Number 2 -- It takes a while to get used to ACC and learn to trust it. Also, queue control has some quirks you have to learn about.

I live in Europe where the streets are narrow and there are often cars parked along the side of the road. Under some conditions, the radar cannot distinguish between the car in front that is slowing down to stop and the car parked on the side. When this happens, the "Cruised Control Cancelled" will come on and I'll have to drive myself for a while.

Another "feature" happens when the car you are following makes a slight right turn (such as turning onto a highway entrance ramp), the radar will slowly loose the car and you will begin to accelerate. This is very upsetting if the car you were following was tailgating the car in front of him and now you are accelerating into another car 15 meters in front of you.

Also, when you are passing other cars in a curve on a four lane highway, ACC will sometimes pick up the car or truck in the right lane and suddenly apply the brakes.

Like I said, it has its quirks, but once you learn them, it is a very good system and allows you to concentrate on driving and not worry too much about the guy in front suddenly braking.

There are a number of senerios that could cause the situation you describe. If the car in front was slowing and then suddenly stops, the system could have interpreted it as an emergency situation and the City Safety kicked in. If the weather was bad (heavy rain, snow or fog), the system would shut down and make you drive yourself.

If you keep having these issues, then your system probably needs adjusting.

Hope this helps.
I'd love to get the system adjusted, but my dealer keeps telling me that it's not meant to come to a stop. I guess a stern letter to VCA is required :)

Do you think that City Safety would engage the parking break, and not allow me to turn cruise on again?

T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ha! Finally some one else has the problem. I have had the exact problem since I got my car last fall. First Queue Assist is supposed to bring you to a full stop - check out the promotion app on an iPad or other Volvo specs/features - it is one of the reason I bought the car. It is not City Safety, it is not the emergency brake coming on after an extended stop. The fail is, as Queue Assist slows the car nearing to stop as the car in front of slows, the car beeps, the parking brake & its light comes on, the car jerks to a stop and the message on the dash says cruise control unavailable. The cruise control can then not be reactivated until the motor is turned off and the car restarted - not something I can easily due on the freeway. I was very concerned that this could happen at higher speeds or other random times that could be a safety hazard. I have submitted a complaint with NHTSA; the Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10454695 (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/compla...rchType=QuickSearch&summary=true&refurl=email). Last week, an additional device was attached to the car to capture more extensive data for trouble shooting, this was sent to Volvo for analysis on Tuesday. The dealer has been driving my car and captured at least 5 incidence the fail. They said it may be a week until analysis is complete. I am driving a loaner - actually many weeks since this problem has been happening. I contacted Volvo customer service Incident # 120410-000142 Customer Service 800-458-1552 #7 Tracy Faerber is the contact. Yesterday, after many trips to service for this, problems with Sirius, speaker rattles, seat buckle... I have asked to have the car replaced. Here is one of my previous posts http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?174213-Queue-Assist-Fail&highlight=queue+assist+fail I am asking for a replacement because I really like the car but I must have got a "Monday car" - lemon. I am also considering a buy back via the Lemon Law - which the car clearly qualifies for...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RMJ -

In my situations (three so far, in the week I've owned the car), it comes to a stop (because the car in front of me stops), and then (almost immediately), the parking break engages, "Cruise control cancelled" shows on the display. When I try to re-engage, it says "Cruise Control Unavailable." Even if this scenario would happen on the highway, I could drive without cruise, I guess. My car never stopped without reason.

Is your car stopping without reason?

T

·
Registered
15 Posts
The car is stopping for a reason - the car in front has stopped. The emergency brake is supposed to come on if car stays in a stopped position for a period of time - this is in the manual. The emergency braking coming before it has stopped or immediately after it stops is a fail - the dealer see error codes. Cruise Control Unavailable is an indication of the fault also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, RMJ --

I just wanted to verify we had the same issue. I thought for a second your car stopped for no apparent reason; which would be unbelievably dangerous!

T

·
Registered
42 Posts
RMJ,

How have you made out with Volvo? I just had my S60 serviced for the exact same problem but the service department was unable to duplicate the issue. This is a very frustrating and dangerous malfunction and Volvo really needs to address it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you get that video? The behavior is so unpredictable, but that's exactly what has happened to me. I wonder if I can refer to your case with Volvo.

Thanks,

Toine

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made the video with a Flip camera held in my hand in traffic where the problem normally occurs - a bit tricky but it worked. The problem was found & replicated by service with the service codes. Feel free to refer to this case with Tracy - see earlier post. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you, RMJ. Here in Pennsylvania we also have a lemon law, but I purchased a used 2012 S60 so it won't apply. I attempted to call Tracy, but Volvo customer service said I have to follow the correct channels and go through my local dealership. Lehman Volvo of York blamed the malfunction on a DashCam I mounted below the sensor array.

Anyway, that's great that they are replacing your car with a new one! Hopefully you get a Tuesday or Thursday car.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yesterday I took my S60 to Volvo for the third time to repair my Adaptive Cruise Control (and the unusual drilling noise I mentioned in my other post) and they updated my FSM, ECM, CVM and ECM. Today it failed again and threw on the parking brake and the displayed "Cruise Control Unavailable" until the engine was restarted. I'm taking it back on Thursday and hopefully it will finally be fixed! I've been very nice and understanding with the whole situation but my patience is starting to wear thin. What is my next step if they can't repair it?!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
What is my next step if they can't repair it?!
You could escallate to corporate. Invoking the Lemon law tends to be a motivator (I know someone who had repeated problems with a ragtop BMW, she threatened to invoke that law and they swapped her out of the car; I don't know the financial details). It is unfortunate you take advantage of it.

Have you seen a carfax report? Is there anything there that the dealer didn't tell you about when you bought it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
TrboBrik,

It's an old wives' tail... You don't want a car built on Monday because the workers are hung over from the weekend. You don't want a car built on Wednesday because that's "hump day." You don't want a car built on Friday because the workers are trying to get through the day so they can have fun on the weekend. That means the best cars are made on Tuesday and Thursday:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took my car in for repair yesterday for the 4th time and I believe they've corrected to the issue with my ACC, but only time will tell. I did some research and my car would qualify for the PA lemon law because it was a dealer demo model, therefore it is still considered a new vehicle under that law.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts