SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

AC Problems Persist After Recharge

942 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cabot 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
My 2000 Volvo V70's air conditioning went out and, since the a/c has been recharged before with success, I thought I would try and recharge it myself this time. I bought this http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=27&PID=92 and recharged the system to no avail. A local mechanic recommended I try and recharge again. The second time, no luck. According to the pressure gauge, the system if fully pressurized, but there is no change in a/c temperature. The compressor is cycling appropriately during the recharge and everything else seems to be functioning appropriately. What else could be wrong? Does this signify a mechanical problem?

#2 ·
The system in our cars is known to fail. I just had mine repaired. The repair list is in the car, so I will do my best to recall what was fixed. My compressor would click on and off an not give out any cold air. As it turns out, the compressor was fine (as it sounds yours is) but there were two leaks. One was in the evaporator core and the other was a component in the radiator vicinity: a dryer I think it was.

Does your heat still work well? Accompanying my AC failure was a leaking heater core, which presented itself by dampening the driver's floor with coolant.

#4 ·
Re: AC Problems Persist After Recharge (benv)

As I just told someone else,
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE CARS 1995-2000, loses the evaporator at some point.
They rust and finally leak out all the freon.
Big job, 8-10 hours, usually about $1500 plus or minus.

It's a slow process. The first time you can recharge it and it may last an entire season, then less and less until it just won't hold any charge at all!

#5 ·
benv: At Boston Volvo, it was $1931.00 but that included recharging the system for diagnosis and replacing the evaporator, receiver drier, and accompanying lines.

It took a full day, but I was also having a wheel bearing replaced along with the heater core.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.