SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Today while on my way to meet some friends I noticed my AC wasnt blowing very cold. I arrived early shut off my car and realized i was the only one there. I started my car turned on the AC and got nothing bot hot air. There was no click or engine dip. I also noticed an electrical smell. I checked under the hood and the AC clutch wasnt engaged. I leaned in and smelled the compressor and the smell was coming from there.

I should note that the last week or so when the AC kicks on the cars idle has been droping noticeably more than usual. I chocked it up to having the non OEM plugs. After replacing them and noticing the same issue, i think it was the AC compressor getting harder to turn. (my gas mileage hasnt been great either.)

I think my compressor is fried. This makes me pretty frustrated considering the volvo dealer replaced the expansion valve back in february to the tune of 500 bucks.

Given all the other issues ive had with the car, i think this sounds its death knell. I am going to bide my time until early next year, and Im going to trade it in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You mentioned in another thread that you had oil leaking on the transmission and down the pan. I posted that I thought it was the vacuum pump which is an easy fix and common issue. But the AC compressor is also right in that same spot, so your compressor might have lost all of its oil which could be the source of the leak. Or it could be both issues. Either way, they are both fairly easy DIY fixes. You can pay a shop to evacuate and charge the AC after you replace the compressor, or if you are mechanically inclined, the whole job is straightforward. Plenty of youtube videos to guide you. Hope it works out!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mentioned in another thread that you had oil leaking on the transmission and down the pan. I posted that I thought it was the vacuum pump which is an easy fix and common issue. But the AC compressor is also right in that same spot, so your compressor might have lost all of its oil which could be the source of the leak. Or it could be both issues. Either way, they are both fairly easy DIY fixes. You can pay a shop to evacuate and charge the AC after you replace the compressor, or if you are mechanically inclined, the whole job is straightforward. Plenty of youtube videos to guide you. Hope it works out!
I actually had a volvo dealership fix the oil leak. It was the vacuum pump, along with a loose hose, and some other minor things. The shop also repaired the AC back then as it wasnt working (expansion valve) I will probably fix the AC. But so far, ive spent 5k on the car in repairs.

1. PCV
2. battery cables
3. rear electric parking brake
4. Vacuum pump
5. lower motor mounts
6. new front struts (one blew out)
7 new steering rack (the old one was sloppy and the dealer said i should replace it)
8. AC expansion valve

Combine that with the fact it has a lower engine noise, lifter tick, and the trans shifts poorly. I dont want to sink any more money in the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts