SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what sort of metal the AC lines are made out of?

I HAD a cracked AC line, but sealed it up with JB weld and it was fine, well today as luck would have it (108 degrees out, 85% humidity) I ran over a plastic shopping bag, it caught on my AC drier, went underneath my passenger wheel, and ripped itself in half, bending the AC drier a fraction of an inch rearwards and re-opening the cracked line...1 in a million chance, but **** like this always seems to go wrong.

I am going to attempt to weld/solder the crack up completely, and was thinking that the lines are made of aluminum, but am not sure...I'm tackling this tomorrow so hopefully someone knows the material they're made of!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't know what material it is but I imagine you could use a magnet and narrow down the possibilities.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sorry, don't know the material but I'm gonna stick with my suggestion from your other thread. Only took two weeks to leak again, not sure why you wouldn't just replace what was broken and move on?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, don't know the material but I'm gonna stick with my suggestion from your other thread. Only took two weeks to leak again, not sure why you wouldn't just replace what was broken and move on?
I would have to replace the entire condenser and then hammer the AC line back into the same position it sits now, risking cracking a hole in it again. Honestly it would be so easy if I could just replace it but I'm stuck trying to fix the leak.

I believe it's aluminum, I'm going to take the connection off tomorrow and seriously fix it with aluminum welding rod.

It only started leaking again because the plastic bag grabbed onto the drier and was simultaneously yanked rearward by my tire, bent the whole thing back at a 45 degree angle and cracked a hole in the JB weld. I'm going to clamp it in place so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are aluminum. Just weld it again. They weigh like nothing when not in the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts