SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday in an episode of the "Car Matchmaker" (USA), Spike Ferensten pits a Volvo XC90 Inscription against a Blacked out Audi Q7, and an AMG GLA 45. XC90 "wins", (is selected as the "cooler" bus) but XC90 is dinged for a fan noise on "Auto Low 1" that sounds like "the inside of Dark Vaders mask". You can hear the fan noise in the recording of the episode. Anyone notice this excessive noise, or did Spike not know how to turn on the AC fan?

Here is the link. pRetty entertaining:
http://tv.esquire.com/shows/car-matchmaker

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have not noticed any excessive AC noise in 4.5 months of driving but I don't know if I have specifically checked "low 1" so I'll give it a shot soon. The seat ventilation is pretty noisy when in use.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not noticed any excessive AC noise in 4.5 months of driving but I don't know if I have specifically checked "low 1" so I'll give it a shot soon. The seat ventilation is pretty noisy when in use.
Looking forward to hearing back. I have had other cars with noisy AC. That would be most disappointing with the B&W speakers~!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Like citivas mentioned, I never specifically selected or noted it on "auto speed 1" but I've never noticed an annoying or stand out a/c fan noise. Like he did mention, I find the seat ventilation quite loud when on high, which is why I tended to just keep it on medium even during the hot summer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Same as these posts. The only time it ever seems loud is when it's on high/coming to temp and especially when the seat vents are on high.

Also when I accidentally turn the back rows up to high with my elbow resting on the center console- this happens somewhat frequently.

In general it's definitely not a loud system and virtually silent to my ears in normal use.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree. The AC fan is barely noticeable... The ventilated seats however... sounds like a portable vacuum cleaner!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ventilated seats are usually noticeable in most makes that have them. Nature of the beast...but they feel so good. ;)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just to reiterate since I've seen this blown out of proportion in reviews: the ventilated seats are really only loud on the highest setting. Even the middle setting is basically silent.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ventilated seats are usually noticeable in most makes that have them. Nature of the beast...but they feel so good. ;)
Haha.. yes they do!
Just to reiterate since I've seen this blown out of proportion in reviews: the ventilated seats are really only loud on the highest setting. Even the middle setting is basically silent.
But how do you know it's working if you can't hear it???!!! J/K.. yeah.. it's only loud at the highest setting :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't know if heater fan and ACfam are related, but my heater on hottest setting on full blast makes a loud whirring noise. Does anyone get that? Plus, it turns off when the car turns off at the light with start/stop feature. Can't it just stay on all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wonder if someone put the rear ac on at a higher setting. My son does this to me all the time, I keep it on low because it's so quiet and then when I least expect it (I guess when he's bored), he increases the rear ac blower! Thank goodness he's usually in the car for a short time and I can shut it off from the front if and when I desire.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wonder if someone put the rear ac on at a higher setting. My son does this to me all the time, I keep it on low because it's so quiet and then when I least expect it (I guess when he's bored), he increases the rear ac blower! Thank goodness he's usually in the car for a short time and I can shut it off from the front if and when I desire.
Yes. The only time I notice excessive fan noise is when my kids jack it up in the second row.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Revising my answer on this. Now that we're solidly into fall and some of my passengers are using the heater more, I have been noticing the worst loud fan blowing noise I have ever experienced in any car. It's so loud that I have to turn the radio volume up to about 65% just to clearly hear it and that still doesn't drown the fan noise out completely. It's crazy loud -- it immediately becomes a point of conversation for any new passenger and people have to talk loud just to be heard over it. Again, I have had many previous cars and even with the fan on full "high" from every vent none have sounded half as loud as this.

I did diagnose it a bit today. Until now, when I have been experiencing it I have been mystified that even if I set the fan speed to the lowest setting and set the temperature to a very moderate 72 (when the ambient outside temp is high-50's) it wouldn't change the loud blowing sound. Interestingly it would go away overtime I stopped and the engine cut off so I guess the battery can't handle it even in comfort mode. I finally got a clue and checked the second row setting where the kids had indeed set their fan to almost the highest setting and 80 degrees. Once I lowered it to the lowest fan settings and 72 the sound coming out of the front dash finally dissipated.

So while I figured out what's causing it, it doesn't change how obnoxiously loud it is. It's also fascinating that the blower for the rear seats is clearly based in the front dash so that's where you hear it even if the front row blower is set to low. Perhaps this has been true in my previous cars but I never noticed it because they weren't as loud.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
My second row fan in my 1997 and 2007 4Runners were also loud on medium and high. Is it the quality of the fans/motors used in the second rows or is it the more constricted venting compared to the front? Just not sure, but hope there can be an acceptable resolution.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had this as well. Blower always seemed on high auto in the summer. It makes the B&W system a must. At least it drowns out the annoying brother in law or wife��.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Agree that all the fans on high is really loud. But if I leave the cc on auto, I've never had to hear it for more than a few minutes.

More to the point though, my rear fan speed has suddenly appeared set to high many times. At first I thought it was a glitch, which it might be, but I am pretty sure I hit it with my elbow if I open the center console a certain way. One trip just me and my girlfriend were in the car, no one in the back but she had a phone charger plugged into the second row outlet. Every time she reached back, she accidentally set the fans to high.

I don't have kids so it's 90% adult passengers but it's been sort of a challenge explaining how everything works. People don't know they have control, complain about temps, don't know how to adjust the seats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts