SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and found that there have been numerous incidents of ac drain either loosening or getting clogged.<br>Reason i did the search is of course the amount of water i found in the rear passenger footwell the other day. <br>Its been terribly hot lately and the ac have been given a run for its money.<p>Ok, to the point - is this a fix one can do by urselves or is the car in need of a trip to the stealership? <br>Where is the drain located?<br>Car is out of warranty, any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: AC Drain into rear passenger footwell (goddamnswede)

Not sure if i can be much help- never had to unclog our volvo yet, but typically you can find the drain by finding the evaporator housing. the housing collects all of the condensed water and drains it through the firewall. it's usually located above the passenger footwell under the dash. look for the lowest part of the housing. generally there's a tube sticking out of it going through the firewall, sometimes the housing just butts up against the firewall with a molded-in plastic tube of sorts. once you find that on the inside of the car, you know where to look under the hood for it. sometimes they're covered by the aluminum heat shielding. What's happened to me each of the 3 times it's occured in my vehicles is that wasps like to build nests in them.. I've cleaned mud out of them with wasp larvae.. Fun stuff. Good luck with it. If you do find the drain, post a pic of the location so the rest of us know where to look!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: AC Drain into rear passenger footwell (goddamnswede)

I have the same exact problem. Have you found the solution yet? Please advise if so. Thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, found the solution.<br>If you pull out the carpet under the stereo, (right hand side just above where you rest my left foot in case you`re the subordonate one stuck to the passenger side.)<br>When you do this you can see the hose connector, if its off connect it, if not leave it be.<br>According to volvo the hose can come loose from excessive footwork.<br>The newer models, 2008 and up have a new connector wich sits more firmly connected. <br>The rest of us with older cars can get this connector changed for the new one, a job one can do ourselves unless equipped with 10 thumbs.<p>Ok, you had the leak. You fixed the hose. What about the water under carpet?<p>I had the guy at the volvo body shop give me a run through, they where about to close down for summer holidays and i didnt want to wait 3 weeks to get it done. By that time the only real solution would be to change the whole carpet.<p>Here we go;<br>Rear seat (the sitting part) is held on in front with 4 screws. To get at them, just pull the seats up. When removed, set them aside somewhere dry (they werent wet) but you dont want them loose seats hang about in your car.<br>then you pop off the plastic door sills, that first snag when you pull the carpet. They come off by pulling straight up, snap and off.<br>Now, you can access the footwell from the rear opening of the carpet, though but manageable. A piece of wood helped me get down to the matter. Clean out water with a rag or such. I drilled a small hole in the lowest part of the footwell as some water will be trapped in the polystyrene foam under carpet. <br>I left my piece of wood holding the carpet up for about 3-4 days to let it dry out. Running max heat the floor on that side when running the car.<p>Hope this helps, if not i should manage to get some photos, photos anyone?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts