SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife's 2008 3.2 AWD started making a slight knocking sound from the front a month or so ago that got worse with the AC on. It got really loud this weekend so I popped the hood and the AC compressor pulley has a noticeable wobble (AC is still ice cold) that seems to be creating the sound. Sound goes away when AC is turned off. I've read around and it seems a new compressor is on deck. My questions are: 1)any chance its not the compressor itself but the pulley? And 2) can it be driven with the AC off without risk of inflicting damage? I'd like to order the parts online rather than get fleeced at the stealership but she needs transportation in the meantime. Obviously would rather be inconvenienced than risk further damaged though. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It only took a month to pop the hood and take a look? I know the answer, but it`ll take a month or so before I think to post

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only took a month to pop the hood and take a look? I know the answer, but it`ll take a month or so before I think to post
I rarely hear her car running (so not the top of my mind) and it only got hot enough to run the AC regularly in the last few days for her to hear it again and let me know. I'm not sure why you're worked up over when I posted in relation to when the noise started. Either help or don't but no need to be snide.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I rarely hear her car running (so not the top of my mind) and it only got hot enough to run the AC regularly in the last few days for her to hear it again and let me know. I'm not sure why you're worked up over when I posted in relation to when the noise started. Either help or don't but no need to be snide.
This is why the dealer changes the oil on my wife's XC90 and I change the oil on my cars.
I would have the pulley looked at to be on the safe side. One belt runs everything. The water pump pulley on my Cayman snapped last week. No alternator, no water pump, no AC, yes a tow, yes a large labor bill that took $$ I could have used to buy parts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'd be looking at that ASAP. Wobbly pulleys aren't long for this world.

-Ryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be looking at that ASAP. Wobbly pulleys aren't long for this world.

-Ryan
Yeah, I saw it was wobbling and we parked it at a local shop immediately (it was the weekend so they just opened up this morning) but the issue is no one around here really deals with Volvos and the dealer is 35 mins away. Shop its at said they'd take a look and provide a recommendation but said they'd likely decline to work on it since its a Volvo. I'd prefer to avoid towing it 35 miles to the dealer and since it the pulley isn't wobbling/moving with the AC off, I'm inclined to think it would be okay but again, idk for sure which is why I'm asking you guys.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, I saw it was wobbling and we parked it at a local shop immediately (it was the weekend so they just opened up this morning) but the issue is no one around here really deals with Volvos and the dealer is 35 mins away. Shop its at said they'd take a look and provide a recommendation but said they'd likely decline to work on it since its a Volvo. I'd prefer to avoid towing it 35 miles to the dealer and since it the pulley isn't wobbling/moving with the AC off, I'm inclined to think it would be okay but again, idk for sure which is why I'm asking you guys.
I can relate. I have more Volvos than the rest of our town combined, and the nearest dealership is 100 miles away.

If no visual wobble with the A/C off, you should be OK to drive. Curious that it would only wobble with the A/C on. It may simply need to be re-shimmed. Unfortunately, I've no experience with these compressors. It might be worth finding a refurbished compressor. It's definitely worth researching the re-shim angle.

-Ryan

·
Registered
551 Posts
Can you remove an electrical connector so no danger of pump turning on? I just had a look at ours and maybe you can remove that black wire that goes to the clutch? It looks short and removable from the connector. I have no idea though if this is good or bad advice.

If the compressor gets changed maybe it is a good time to also have the belt and idlers changed and possibly the water pump too.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I was at the Volvo dealer on a Saturday with my BMW M Roadster to talk to the advisor I was friendly with about a S80 they serviced that was for sale. Since it was quiet I asked if they would charge my AC, and if they would honor a coupon they sent my wife for her XC90. They charged my AC, honored the coupon, and even changed the oil & filter (I had the filter on the seat). Amazing that a one brand store can fiddle with another brands AC, but the fix all shop cant. I could understand if it was the haldex. I wonder if they would feel comfortable changing your brake pads - it is a Volvo you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts