SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the ABS module from Mid West a few weeks ago on my T5.
Popped the new unit in with no issues. I did break the plastic clip for the 2 wires from the ABS pump, so I sourced a new unit from the JY and swapped the new clip in.

So 2 days ago, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree as I was parking (only once so far) and on 2 other occasions the ABS light has come and gone.

I'm assuming the module is OK for the moment. What other symptoms would cause this?
Was thinking possibly the ABS pump or a bad ABS solenoid..? Its a real PITA to replace the ABS pump, but not impossible.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd double check the wiring, it can be a pain to get it 100% seated IIRC.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read the 16 pin harness needs to be fully seated, so I may check this again.
I think its entirely possible I replaced the module when in fact the ABS pump might be failing. Or both have may have failed.
Its far more rare for the pump to fail than the module, but they do fail.

Luckily the brakes still work when it lights up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had this issue on my 1998 R for years. All sensors are new, and the control box has been re-soldered more than once and then replaced. The ABS and TCS lights still persist. I'm currently swapping to a junkyard ABS pump hoping that helps the situation.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking the ABS pump might be the next up-stream item to target. I read it can cause the ABS light.
I grabbed the solenoid/ABS pump assembly from a p80 XC with no module at the JY for $5. I assume the pumps all work the same and are interchangeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts