SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went through puddles/high water in my 2005 XC90 awd 2.5t and next time I turned on the vehicle, abs and antiskid yellow warning lights and messages are on. Vehicle runs and drives with some hesitation around 20 mph- no acceleration, so kinda coast and drift till the throttle "kicks in", then drives fine with lights and messages still on. So I check abs fuses in engine compartment (14 and 19) and they're fine. Over the next few days the "kick in" becomes more problematic until I have to do a loop in a parking lot for almost 10 minutes until the vehicle runs properly- seems to be some electronic control issue...SO, I disconnect the battery reconnect- lights and messages still on Pull #14 fuse and abs light goes to red and message reads- brake failure stop immediately- so I reinsert 14 and pull 19. NOW abs warning icon is yellow, but antiskid icon is gone- still both messages...but now vehicle runs/drives without hesitation and brakes still work fine. Is this a "fix" as it seems or an accident waiting to happen? Realizing I don't have abs, am a pretty seasoned and steady driver at the age when I take it easy. Otherwise is vehicle operational in anyone's opinion or experience? I have a 300 mile trip coming clear warm weather and dry pavement- will I make it??? Thanks for any insights...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Either an ABS sensor is dirty/dying, or SAS (steering angle sensor)

Easiest method is to check with VIDA (dealer software) to see which system is causing the fault, but not everyone has that.

If the car drives fine you may have cleared the initial fault and now it is in the phase where it takes X number of clean drive cycles to remove the warning message.

As for the trip, you may be just fine to drive 300 miles, or depending on what sensor is failing, you may experience some future shut down again :/
(and brake or abs warnings will usually shut off cruise control as well, so that will make the trip more hands on)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts