SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I noticed this morning when I started the car that the ABS and TRACS lights remained ON. It usually turns off after starting but not today. It is now consistently on and remains on until I turn off the car. No problems with braking, rides fine. Would it be the module or the sensors? Thanks. This is on my 1995 850 GLT

·
Registered
408 Posts
95% of the time those lights mean the ABS module (especially for 850s). And since its only a matter of time before it does go bad, its the best first step for troubleshooting them. And then if that doesnt work, then you can pull the codes and see what wheel sensor is bad. But start at the ABS module.

Go here for a repair:

https://www.midwest-abs.com/

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
1995 has a different module and ABS system then 1996 and later. So it is not as easy to
trouble-shoot as later models (or repair). Our 95 has the ABS light on and I'm pretty sure
it is the ABS pump on ours since the noise it makes at about 20mph (the self test) no longer
occurs.

If you search various forums, make sure they are discussing 95 and earlier when looking at
the issues.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found out it was grease from a broken CV boot that covered the sensor. Cleaned the sensor and replaced the axle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These years are known for the connectors going bad where the abs module connects into the car. If you wedge a piece of plastic or metal next to the abs module it will put pressure on the connectors and the light should turn off after you exceed 10MPH.

·
Registered
130 Posts
These years are known for the connectors going bad where the abs module connects into the car. If you wedge a piece of plastic or metal next to the abs module it will put pressure on the connectors and the light should turn off after you exceed 10MPH.
That only works on 96 and up, he has a 95 and needs to pull his codes to find the issue.

Shimming things between the harness and the module is a good way to physically burn up your module and harness. If you manage to crack the incoming power pins by doing that its game over.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matty: Yup! no way to shim anything. Mine is a 95.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know it sounds stupid, but try wiggling the key. The ABS and Tracs lights are often a sign of the ignition switch failing. If the car is driving fine and the ABS system is doing it's self diagnostic at 20 mph, it's probably the switch. I think they run about $55 at FCP and IPD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts