SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the time has come to to front and rear brakes on the Sonic Blue 06 V70R, is there any special tools I will need?

I'm going to do front and rear pads, brake rotors (Brembo) stainless steel lines, and the rear parking brake drums.

I already have a set of brake hardware for the rear drums, and new shoes. Pads, rotors and lines are on their way.

I bought a cheap drum brake tool kit from HF that has a couple things in it, I already have a bunch of clamps for pushing the Pistons back into the calipers, and bent hooks to hang the caliper on while I'm servicing the brakes.

I also bought a bunch of new Pentosin Dot4 LV fluid, brake clean, synthetic caliper lube, and anti squeal.

I have never actually serviced a set of drum brakes, but I have done disc brakes like 15 times. I bet getting the springs and crap back on will be fun. I did do new pads on the last V70R I had so I know what to expect with that at least.

I just want to make sure I have everything I need at the house and don't have to make 4 trips to the parts store while I'm doing it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Consider replacing the parking brake springs while you're at it. They are pretty easy with needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Consider replacing the parking brake springs while you're at it. They are pretty easy with needle nose pliers.
MOST of the springs are easy. The big back spring is maddening.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just did a brake job not so long ago, i bought 4 new brembo rotors online, you will need a punch to get the pin out of the caliper if you plan on taking off the pads, my pins were quite stuck in the galiper and i had to spray some lube directly onto where it slides if you do this be careful not to overspray all around and be gentle on the whacking. I did not change my pads because they were in good condition, i did however sand them a bit to get them as even as possible on the new rotors since there was some hard braking notches on my old rotors OEM volvo rotors. I did not need any clamps to get the pistons back in place, i used my hands to push them against the galiper to slide the whole thing on the rotors.

Zipties also work well to hand the galiper, im confused though you are servicing ''drum brakes'' on a R ? you must be talking about the parking brake shoes and handbrake, there is no drumbrakes on the R, its all disc. Also make sure you get a new set of parking brake springs as they might get stuck while you are removing the disc, mine were stuck and it was a pita to get the disc out for some reasons they were hooking onto the old disc and i needed force to get them out. As i did not have any new little spring it was really ****ty to get them back on since i bent them a bit and they were a bit rusty, i will have to change them soon.

There is no special tool needed but wrenches, sockets, zipties, maybe clamps if you cant push the pistons back yourself but be carefull not to damage your caliper paint and needle nose pliers are very handy, rubber hammer to whack the old discs if they dont budge. Lube all your wheel bolts when you install them back on and make sure you inspect everything around while youre at it. You might also want to have brake cleaner with you, when you take off the rear discs depending on your car age things may be dusty and have a lot of surface rust, spray the hell out of everything and rub with wire brush gently to clean everything.

This should be a cake for you, hf !

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guy once again save my behind.

I live quite a bit out in the sticks so making 3 or 4 trips into town while I'm working on stuff is maddening.

The hardware kit I have should replace all the springs in the parking brake assembly.

I all have one of the hand powered vac pump I have used in the past to suck out all the old fluid that I have used in the past.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Installing the parking brake shoe retaining springs can be a nightmare, one member showed a trick where he ziptied the spring in the compressed condition so that he could get it to hook in the backing plate properly, then cut the tie to release the spring. That trick would have saved me about 20 minutes of frustration on my last parking brake job.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bumping this back up, I forgot about this part till the last minute.

When I wash the car at the drive through car wash and drive home afterwards, no problems.

But if I wash my car in the driveway and let it sit to dry, usually overnight I get the stupid frozen brake rotor thing where the passenger side rear tire locks up, I'm assuming with rust for a second until it brakes free. I notice it beacuse I have a gravel driveway and I can feel that tire dragging for a second until it brakes free.

I did some searching and saw some thinking about a rubber seal being bad and letting water into the drum parking brake area then it rusts up over night. But that's all I remember about it.

I know this has been gone over on the forums a couple of times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts