SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, first time poster, long-time lurker.

I finally made the big decision over the weekend to throw caution to the wind and order up an XC70 T6.

Yes, I am excited, but that is not why I am posting today...

I did several searches and did find what I was looking for (it might be out there, and sorry in advance if I missed it), but I see that several of the fine folks here have ordered XC70, and I want to make sure I have a proverbial leg to stand on...

Having never ordered a car before, I have no idea what to expect in terms of pricing. I am not looking to have my local dealer (who has been an absolute joy to work with in my eccentric process of "looking") go out of business because of my shrewd negotiating techniques, but I also don't want to pay sticker when I might not have to.

Any thoughts you fine Swedespeeders (is that term?) might have would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, before I forget, I feel that I have to order the car for three main reasons (which may be wrong and will throw a huge monkey-wrench into my plans).

1. The overseas ordering sheet for the MY2013 XC70 states that the espresso is "Custom Built Upholstery" which I am taking to mean only available as special order...am I reading into this incorrectly?

2. My sales consultant gave me the "sad face" when I mentioned I wanted the Climate package with the integrated boosters, then added "you might want order that one..." is this the case? None of the XC70s on the lot have the boosters (most have headed rears) - do you find this to be the case?

3. I fell in love with the Modern Wood on a used s80 on the lot...if they find me the right car, I can always install it later.

Okay, this post has already reached War and Peace proportions...thank you all in advance for your input, sorry again if my search went awry...

·
Registered
985 Posts
We ordered ours in June 2012 and took delivery in late October. Well worth the wait. The only option we did not go for is the $2,000 nav system. If it were cheaper then I would have but $2,000 to just turn the screen "on" was too steep. The Nav screen is already on the car - whether you order navigation or not. One positive note, I downloaded a free Mapquest navigation app on my iPhone - and it has audible turn-by-turn directions. When paired with Sensus via bluetooth it speaks thru the car stereo speakers and even lowers the radio volume when providing directions - pretty cool for a free app. I find this to be a 80% solution compared to the factory system and its FREE!

We have a 4-year old that loves the booster seats. Our other car requires a standard booster seat and she always asks to take the Volvo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Dave,

I have gone back and forth on the Navi (I bought the Tom-Tom app on my phone on sale a while back - no data connection needed for maps/guidance!) but I would like the rear camera and upgraded audio...by the time I get those a la carte into the beast, I might as well have gone with the Premium, and so I shall...

May I ask, without getting too personal with hard figures, were you expected to pay sticker on the order, or were there discounts involved on the price? I am hoping to seal the deal later this week (and thus start the wait..) and would appreciate any advice on what I might expect.

One again, thanks for the reply,

Mike

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Greetings all, first time poster, long-time lurker.

I finally made the big decision over the weekend to throw caution to the wind and order up an XC70 T6.

Yes, I am excited, but that is not why I am posting today...

I did several searches and did find what I was looking for (it might be out there, and sorry in advance if I missed it), but I see that several of the fine folks here have ordered XC70, and I want to make sure I have a proverbial leg to stand on...

Having never ordered a car before, I have no idea what to expect in terms of pricing. I am not looking to have my local dealer (who has been an absolute joy to work with in my eccentric process of "looking") go out of business because of my shrewd negotiating techniques, but I also don't want to pay sticker when I might not have to.

Any thoughts you fine Swedespeeders (is that term?) might have would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, before I forget, I feel that I have to order the car for three main reasons (which may be wrong and will throw a huge monkey-wrench into my plans).

1. The overseas ordering sheet for the MY2013 XC70 states that the espresso is "Custom Built Upholstery" which I am taking to mean only available as special order...am I reading into this incorrectly?

2. My sales consultant gave me the "sad face" when I mentioned I wanted the Climate package with the integrated boosters, then added "you might want order that one..." is this the case? None of the XC70s on the lot have the boosters (most have headed rears) - do you find this to be the case?

3. I fell in love with the Modern Wood on a used s80 on the lot...if they find me the right car, I can always install it later.

Okay, this post has already reached War and Peace proportions...thank you all in advance for your input, sorry again if my search went awry...
If you want to be generous, just walk in and tell them you're a quick sell but you want to pay $1000 over invoice. If they say no, walk out immediately and wait for them to call back in a few days... :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know if my experience was typical, but for my '12 XC70 (custom ordered T6, Polestar, Nav, etc.) I paid just a $100 over cost. I went in with either the Edmunds or the True Car (whichever looked more favorable at the time) that showed this as what people were paying. The sales guy was direct and friendly, said that they liked to get $500-600 over dealer cost, but that he would do my deal. I'm sure that he was the "senior" guy on the staff, and there was no "back-room" nonsense that occurred...very straightforward deal.

BTW, if you ever use a radar-detector that has a laser function you'll pretty much have to kiss the thing good-bye, as the City Safety laser function cannot be turned off. Even when it's not "active" (affecting the car) the laser always runs.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the boosters in my car... little one is only 6 months, so no need for them yet, but the seat cushions are pretty firm for adult passengers because of them, and when he does get old enough for a booster, I'll likely still buy the Volvo Booster or another companies because they offer armrests, cupholders, better seat belt positioning, etc...

So, if you can standalone "un-check" the box on the boosters and save some money, I would go that route.

My $.02

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Have you considered OSD?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, folks:

LEP:
Thanks for the best-case-worst-case (in my mind, at least), some of the pricing I am seeing as "invoice" on some sites does not make sense, I don't think they have the 2013 pricing in there correctly...one of them listed sticker on a T6 Platinum as 43,600 - which I think would be a heck of a deal...and I am fine on the electronic countermeasure equipment, never had one and I doubt that I will start now ("never say never" my father is fond of saying).

Toy Slacker:
My little ones are 5 and 6, and I think they will have to be in boosters for at least 3-4 more years, this is one of the "little things" that make me love this car. When there are no kids in the car, the boosters rock around the back seat (I often drive a little more "spirited" when the wee ones are not in the car) and having them on-demand is just the cat's behind, at least to me. I doubt that there would be anyone other than my kids in the back, and fear for the pranks they would play on each other with the heated rears...but thank you for the two pennies.

dhorvath:
Yes. Yes I have. There is no way that I can make it happen at this point, I am not taking the kids to Sweden, and for some reason my wife does not want me to go to Europe without her...funny that.

Thank you all again, now I just have to get some time on my hands this week to see how far the value of my 2010 GTI has fallen (grits teeth).

Mike

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
We ordered ours in June 2012 and took delivery in late October. Well worth the wait. The only option we did not go for is the $2,000 nav system. If it were cheaper then I would have but $2,000 to just turn the screen "on" was too steep. The Nav screen is already on the car - whether you order navigation or not. One positive note, I downloaded a free Mapquest navigation app on my iPhone - and it has audible turn-by-turn directions. When paired with Sensus via bluetooth it speaks thru the car stereo speakers and even lowers the radio volume when providing directions - pretty cool for a free app. I find this to be a 80% solution compared to the factory system and its FREE!
Dave,

You cannot dismiss the factory system with a simple "it is only turning the Nav screen on for $2,000".

First of all, if he were to order the Platinum package, he would get the upgraded audio system, bi-xenon lights and Nab with the backup camera plus front and rear park assist,

If he were to add the Nav as a port-installed accessory, the $2,000 will buy him a system that integrates seamlessly with the car without having to rely on cellular coverage. At the same time, he will not only get voice activation for the Navigation but for the entire Telephone function. For many people, who spend time in their car, this feature alone is priceless.

We have a 4-year old that loves the booster seats. Our other car requires a standard booster seat and she always asks to take the Volvo.
I am a big proponent of the booster seats. Aside from that, on long trips, I prefer the portable Volvo booster seat as it provides much better lateral support in case the child falls asleep:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the "button" half pushed...

I had about an hour at my dealer last night, and my consultant was talking $1200 off sticker, which is something I can live with in theory. Unfortunately, the appraisal guy was with some customers the entire time and we were not able to get a figure for my GTI.

I spent a little time in a S60 R-Design with the Navigation, just to see how it was in practice, and I can attest that it is far from the best out there, but the user interface and resolution was better than my wife's Acura. By time time I had the camera installed (either dealer or port) and tried to update some of the audio components, it would not really be worth it, so I am going Platinum.

They do not have a car with the boosters installed on the lot, so I could not get my wee ones to "test ride" the seats, but they have already graduated to the in-out boosters without the back, so the factory boosters seem to be the best option for me - and the kids are excited about the "magic seats" as I have taken to calling them.

As he was totaling up the spec and options, the total sticker seemed high...$2000 to high to be exact (I have only built up the car on the web site about 37,000 times...) and I noticed that he had added $2000 for the AWD - on the T6. I could tell from the look on his face that it was an honest mistake, but it was a little funny...

We will be trading some emails to get the deal settled in the coming days...now comes the waiting, and the second guessing...

Thanks again to all who replied.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
The XC70 is a sales dud. You should be able to get to within $100-500 of invoice minus any applicable incentives.

Remember the dealer will be making money with the holdback, the rate markup, and volume bonuses. So don't be afraid to squeeze them.

As for the GTI, you should be able to sell it privately or to CARMAX.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
XC70 is a "go" - deposit is in and now waiting for my vin.

Turns out the Modern Wood is only available on an OSD, so I will swap out the parts when it comes is (did I mention that I REALLY do not like the classic wood?).

Commence hitting refresh on Outlook for the next few months - continuously.

Thanks again all,

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really, LEP, just the rears? interesting...I had it in the back of my mind to do both, but if I only did the rear then I would still be eligible to run in stock class in Autocross!

Okay, I might take the beast just once to learn some limits, but (all kidding aside) you would recommend only doing the rear? Any disadvantage (other than price) to doing both?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
I didn't do *any* research on what would be involved replacing the front anti-sway bar, and I don't know if anyone makes one.

I had an earlier very-positive experience with a 2010 Subaru Outback wagon in just replacing the rear.

The only differences *I* can tell in feel and handling is that the rear-end stays much more stable/vertical and tracks much better with the beefier rear bar...no change to how things feel up-front. I haven't gotten into this situation yet with the XC70, but I'm expecting improved stability in a strong crosswind, as well. All stuff I experienced with the Outback.

I'd be happy to be educated by folks with more experience, about further options, improvements, etc. IPD says that if we keep bugging them they might come out with a XC70-specific lowering-kit...for those of us that don't care about off-road ground clearance. I want more of a touring-wagon, and anything that improves this aspect of the car is of interest to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LEP,

Thanks for the reply (mine has been sorely late in coming).

I just checked the IPD site and they only offer a rear sway bar, which puts the situation into more perspective.

Been three weeks now, and no mention of a VIN from my "guy" - is this a normal wait on an XC70 from everyone's ordering experience?

Thanks in advance (again),

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never mind on the delivery, I apparently missed a message, and my car should be here on December 28...7 weeks and a wake-up!

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
LEP,

Thanks for the reply (mine has been sorely late in coming).

I just checked the IPD site and they only offer a rear sway bar, which puts the situation into more perspective.

<<snip>>

Mike

Sure...I knew that IPD didn't make one, but I never bothered checking anywhere else...I have a vague memory that the guys at IPD mentioned it (front anti-sway bar) not being a very feasible modification. I can't remember why, however!

If you go with the IPD RSB, I'd recommend considering their endlinks as well. I don't get a commission for this, I just like the business, and the guys there have been very helpful over the years.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Sure...I knew that IPD didn't make one, but I never bothered checking anywhere else...I have a vague memory that the guys at IPD mentioned it (front anti-sway bar) not being a very feasible modification. I can't remember why, however!

If you go with the IPD RSB, I'd recommend considering their endlinks as well. I don't get a commission for this, I just like the business, and the guys there have been very helpful over the years.
What with my other car being an S60R, I find the XC70 to have remarkably little body roll as is. The biggest problem is squat/dive - you'd need stiffer springs to fix that.
IPD maybe just offered the bigger rear anti-roll bar to reduce understeer, as that's all that really needs improving? (A bigger front ARB will ADD understeer, unless the rear ARB gets even bigger to re-compensate, and the stock mounts perhaps limit how big you can go).

·
Registered
84 Posts
What with my other car being an S60R, I find the XC70 to have remarkably little body roll as is. The biggest problem is squat/dive - you'd need stiffer springs to fix that.
IPD maybe just offered the bigger rear anti-roll bar to reduce understeer, as that's all that really needs improving? (A bigger front ARB will ADD understeer, unless the rear ARB gets even bigger to re-compensate, and the stock mounts perhaps limit how big you can go).

On another thread someone else also tried to *convince* me that RSB is simply not necessary. Well, that may be true for you, but not for me.

As I have said, my '12 XC70 had plenty of body roll on sweeping cloverleaf exits, etc. Perhaps I'm spoiled in this regard (with other nice handling vehicles), but the IPD RSB *significantly* improved this issue on my car...body-roll...for *me*, and regardless of anyone else's opinion!

That's my experience YMMV.

The front anti-sway bar was never an option, so I can't comment either way on that, aside from what my admittedly-vague memory was of the conversation with IPD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts