SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I have a co-workers that is selling their 2004 s60 R with 94,400 miles. He is the second owner but has had the car since it was about 34000 miles on the odo. Since then he has all the records and has performed scheduled maintenance on the car like a champ. Never missing one. Car is babied and interior is in great condition. No current known issues. It did have a minor collision in the front when a student driver hit the front passenger corner at very low speed and basically the lighting assembly and bumper were replaced. Suspension seems fine, the fender bender was in 07. He wanted 10,900 for it but has settled at 10,000 for the lowest he can go. he just put 4 new tires on it a few days back.

My question is... Does it sound like a good deal? 10k? its a bit more than i wanted to spend BUT it is well maintained. He has never had an issue with the car and i assume its because he does the regular maintenance. I am going to call the volvo dealer where he has it serviced to see if they can give me an opinion on it also. it was just there for the 9x,000 maintenance so they saw it recently. i know all about the angle gear and slave cylinder problems and don't mind working on a car as i have a friend with a lift in his garage that i have put my rx7 on quite a few times. Is it something that not all the R's experience issues with or are the angle gear and slave cylinder issues more of a question of 'when' and not 'if'. I have 277,000 on my rotary engine, never been rebuilt, and i know with those engines a lot of people end up rebuilding every 50k miles. I think they just don't care properly for the vehicle. I love the comfort of the volvo and i would love the opinion of a few of the owners before i pull the trigger and buy the car. I am going to go look at it one more time tonight i believe. any input or things to look for would be helpful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
What color combo and is it a manual or auto. Does the 90k include the t belt?? If not, and you could do it yourself, its only like 200$ for all the parts. If its an auto make sure the tranny has been serviced a few times.

Is it stock? Any mods? What size wheels? All this will help determine a fair price.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Oh nevermind. Guess its a manual if your talkin about the slave.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
to the OP: it's a question of when, not if. I didn't own my R long enough to experience the problem, but the consensus is that 04-05 R's are more likely to fail sooner, and there are more 100k+ mile 06-07 MT's with good AWD assemblies. That's not a BAD deal, but not a great one- it depends on where in the US you live.

What color combo?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts